Volunteers needed

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Hello,
If you live in Santo Domingo and are not already involved with some of the great non profits here You might be interested in spending an hour a month or when ever you can with one of the kids that we at the Los Mina Cultural Center work with.
Please PM me.
You can tutor, teach english, plan a educational/fun outing or what ever your talent/skill is we would love you to share it!
Thanks
F?lix

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Calle San Lorenzo #12, Los Mina, Santo Domingo Este. We are like 10 mintues driving distance from MEGA CENTRO.
Because we are a bit far, I always have people meet me at the Parking space of the Torre Popular Av. John F. Kennedy #20 esq. M?ximo G?mez and we drive from there to our center and then I drop them off at the BP, after you are done with volunteering. The area is safe. Especially if you are with us. A good time is
Guaranteed!

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi - Please let me know how I can assist or my bar, MiTaverna - we can do a charity event to raise money or if you wish, have everyone meet at the location etc - whatever I can do, I will assist - also, I will try to get out there myself.

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Hi thank you very much.
Please let me know when ever you can pay us a visit, so you can see for yourself the reality here and meet some of the kids/folks. An event at your bar sounds great, we would send you all a detailed report on what the funds were spent on and of course everyone is invited to visit us. Something specific and imediate that the funds can go to is that we would like to start a small afterschool program, a combination of tutoring and fun creative activities, instead of the Domino betting games and hearing bachata afterschool program all afternoon, lol!
Thanks
Fraternally
F?lix

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi Felix

PM me your contact info and lets chat - we can put something together fairly quickly in getting a charity event planned. Take care

Oscar
809-803-2544

sheller

Mar 22, 2006
Would like some more information. I run a company in the free zone and would like to contribute and offer my time and skills.

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Hello to all that have PM me and responded, Thanks!
So basically, some friends and local neighborhood people and myself have begun the United Power foundation, our main purpose is to build relationships with the Churches, neighborhood organizations, schools, other non-profits at the local and eventually at the national level to build power (organized people and organized money), and negotiate with the Corporations and Government ways to work together to protect and improve the lives of the Dominican family, in the country. We will work together with the Centro Montalvo, very famous local organization and the IAF in the USA.

So the organizing work is our way of creating immediate and long-term change. Now the Luigi Giussani Cultural Center of Los Mina, is a project of the United Power Foundation, were we want to offer the children/youth here a total embrace to their humanity and care for who they are in a more consistent way, through our presence with them and through the arts, academics, career and technical training opportunities.

I know it would be difficult to coordinate with everyone for a visit, but maybe we can try. Can folks begin to mention dates when they think they can pay us a visit? If not just pm me your contact information so we can coordinate a visit or I can meet you, were you wish. If there is a joint visit, I can get a van and pick people up at the Torre Popular Av. John F. Kennedy #20 esq. M?ximo G?mez and give you all a tour.
As I said we are a volunteer operated center, our center is very small and empty; we just rented the space out of our own pockets. We are in the middle of the process to obtain incorporation, and even in the future we want this to be run by the local neighborhood and external volunteers, with maybe one or 2 staff, but not more than that and also do not want to depend totally on funds from the Government, Foundations and Corporations, but more on our own money, (we are very good at fundraising, Sancocho and fiesta de palos parties!!) and the relationships with individuals and families that can support our work.

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
History of Los Mina, Santo Domingo Este

Hello, this the link to the Los Mina neighborhood History were the United Power Foundation and The Luigi Giussani Los MIna Cultural center are located.

It is very interesting, sorry only in Spanish:Poder Comunitario

Also, Juanita is volunteering with us, this Sunday if anyone else wants to join us. We will be meeting at Torre Popular this Sunday at 10:00 am, PM me for details and I can also meet people at Torre Popular, to bring you over here whenever you are available, just let me know beforehand.

Thanks
Fraternally
F?lix.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
good place and good people

I wonder if the area is still family safe, I lived in San Lorenzo #31 for 11 years believe me, if I would love to have the chance of taking time off from work I would go back to Los Mina at least 3 month that's my home town. Just right easy to get to any place.

Calle San Lorenzo #12, Los Mina, Santo Domingo Este. We are like 10 mintues driving distance from MEGA CENTRO.
Because we are a bit far, I always have people meet me at the Parking space of the Torre Popular Av. John F. Kennedy #20 esq. M?ximo G?mez and we drive from there to our center and then I drop them off at the BP, after you are done with volunteering. The area is safe. Especially if you are with us. A good time is
Guaranteed!

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Hello, We are taking some of the youth here to a concert on February 16th its on a Saturday night,if any one wants to tag along and hang out with us, we consider your presence and just chatting with the kids volunteering too! (PM me if you can attend with us.)
RepublicAlternativa

Concert Information:Este pr?ximo s?bado 16 de febrero la agrupaci?n El Batey estar? presentando su concierto “Animas” en el cual adem?s de su caracter?stica energ?a y potencia musical estar?n haci?ndose acompa?ar del artista Ignacio Alc?ntara ganador de la Bienal de Artes Visuales en el a?o 2006, quien har? una muestra de su trabajo y adem?s incluir? sus animaciones en algunos de los temas que presentara la agrupaci?n durante la noche que promete ser un derroche de arte de calidad de creaci?n local.

El lugar de la presentaci?n es el Encuentro Artesanal, ubicado en la calle Arzobispo Meri?o casi esquina Restauraci?n, el costo de entrada es de RD$150 pre-venta y RD$200 en puerta.