How money should a person have saved up to make a real try of living in Santo Domingo

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Until one finds any kind of work in Santo Domingo like teaching english or working in call center, how much money should a person have saved up? I did not see many OSMA air conditioned buses when I was there last week. And the odor.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
well i recomend Trying to Have some type of Income Over there Before you Go Period. i live in a normal Civilized Neighborhood And nowhere Near Tourist Locations, And it Is Very Expensive. id Say if you Think your gonna be without work for more than a few months, Even though Jobs Like that YOu wont Even Last a Week unemployed...But everything is so expensive and dollar just keeps Droping(depend on which month you Go) so id say something like 10,000 Usd Or less if euros as the euro is much higher . to Live you have to Get Used to The Paying difference Between usd or euro.. And The DOP (Dominican Peso) Other Opinions might be higher or lower....

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Until one finds any kind of work in Santo Domingo like teaching english or working in call center, how much money should a person have saved up? I did not see many OSMA air conditioned buses when I was there last week. And the odor.

How many times are you going to post and say SD smells bad? Get out a little, it's what most of the developing world smells like. You get used to it.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
It is so nice to see the same question over and over. Let me help you. Take my response or do some DR1 looking...

Came down with US$1,000,000. Spent another US$1,000,000. I go on the public transport.

Oh well

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
How many times are you going to post and say SD smells bad? Get out a little, it's what most of the developing world smells like. You get used to it.

I did not mean to offend any Dominican or American living in Santo Domingo. I love the Dominican Republic and the Dominican people with all my heart and soul. I have been to Cabarete four times. The only reason I start going to Santo Domingo was to get away from the tourist spots like Cabarete and Punta Cana. I will move permanently to the Dominican Republic one day, maybe to Puerto Plata, Barahona, Cabarete, Monte Cristi, Nagua, or Santiago. I want to be in a part of the Dominican Republic where I can dance the night away to bachata music and truly interact with indigenous Dominican people where I can speak Spanish all the time. Bachata music originated from the interior towns in the Dominican Republic. And I think that is where I belong one day. I saw some nice homes in Puerto Plata that I could buy for 90,000 us $ which the same house would be 500,000 us $ here in Miami, Florida. I always have a great time in Cabarete. I hear that the most gorgeous Dominican women are to be found in Santiago. I am Dominican so one day I want to move back to my ethnic roots even though I am a US citizen by birth. But my soul and my spirit and my language are Dominican.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Good luck. From the sounds of things, it is hard to know what you really want to do.