220v or 110v in rooms

tiacovelli

Sep 23, 2007
We're taking our first trip to DR in a few weeks. Can someone tell me if the electrical in the rooms are 110v or 220v?

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Although the standard is 110 a lot of the plugs will not take our polarized plugs( the ones that have one wider prong). they only take the older type .I found this out to my regret on my last visit in Sept. to the Riu Resorts in Punta Cana. Even of you don't need the voltage convertor you just might need the adaptor plug that is usually labelled for S.America and Caribbean. Hope this helps.
windrifter

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Although the standard is 110 a lot of the plugs will not take our polarized plugs( the ones that have one wider prong). they only take the older type .I found this out to my regret on my last visit in Sept. to the Riu Resorts in Punta Cana. Even of you don't need the voltage convertor you just might need the adaptor plug that is usually labelled for S.America and Caribbean. Hope this helps.
windrifter

Definitely bring the 110 three prong to two prong adaptor. I hate having to break off the ground prong. http://www.medretreat.com/templates/UserFiles/Images/ThreeProngAdapter.bmp

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you are both right,
the converter from 3 to 2 should be brought, but can also be purchased in the shops at the resorts just in case. many resorts use what you call the 'older version' where you would need to take off the ground plung.
have fun
Mike