Anti-Dominicanism in Action

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican Today said:
While wondering through a crowded market in Paris on a beautiful Sunday morning I stopped at the kiosk of a candy vendor and as I was looking at some of the most delicious marsh mellows one could think of, I decide to buy 100 grams. The very much tanned French vendor smiled, and noticing my Latin American accent he asked me where I was from in French. I said from the Dominican Republic. That brought even a bigger smile on the vendor’s and his French wife’s face who stood beside him proudly showing off her hair braids and tanned skin. They said to me: “beautiful country! A true paradise... we just got back from Punta Cana two days ago, and already have to start working again. We loved it over there…”

Another client standing beside me then started looking at me rather strangely, I would say in an irritated way. I assumed it was because my little chat with the vendor was taking too long, so I rushed and packed the candy in my shopping bag and while doing that, the guy said to me: “you Dominicans, you are murderers and thieves! That beautiful country of yours was ours and you stole it.” From his accent and his appearance I saw it was a Haitian man, and he was really upset. Judging by the ignorance of his remarks, I decided that I could not have an educated conversation with this guy and did not reply to him and rather just left hastily.

Read more about this here: Haitian-Dominican encounters in Europe

-NALs

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I do not understand why the Haitians think they are the owners of the D.R. When they are Africans imported to work in the french plantation in the other side of the island.

JJ.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I do not understand why the Haitians think they are the owners of the D.R. When they are Africans imported to work in the french plantation in the other side of the island.

JJ.

Yes, I really don't understand that. They are really too bad you know! What do you know! Plantation workers that think they have a right to human rights. They want it all! Darn .. I'm so sorry the era of slavery and colonialism is over. Nowadays people actually are aware that they have legal and human rights and will stand up for it. It is all just toooo bad you know. We should get the era of slavery and colonialism back. Life is just not fair without it.

(This is Chris .. No, I'm not gone mad .. I'm just really tired of the discriminatory nature of these types of posts)

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
An isolated incident in a french markey by an ignorant, irrational, Haitian man. What should we take from this? That all or the majority of Haitians think this way? The intent of this posting is to bait, incite, and provoke. Don't Dominicans and Haitians have enough problems as it is? Further provocation is uncessary and utterly useless.

--Exxtol

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
As is all discussion lacking intellectual honesty. To be worried by an opinion from halfway around the world is a waste of time. Negativity begets more negativity, and I for one dont have the extra energy for that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here are four additional quotes from the article, which I suspect some of you did not read prior to posting a response.

Dominican Today said:
Judging by the ignorance of his remarks, I decided that I could not have an educated conversation with this guy and did not reply to him and rather just left hastily.

Dominican Today said:
I therefore ask our President, to not stand by and look passively as this problem evolves into a bigger crisis, but to rather act now by doing something about the working conditions on the Dominican soil, for Dominicans as well as for foreigners, and most importantly, Haitians.

Dominican Today said:
Maybe after all this important work is done, encounters between Dominicans and Haitians abroad will be less tense and perhaps why not, as sweet as the candy at the kiosk in the Parisian market.

Dominican Today said:
The author is an International Public Administration graduate from Erasmus University of Rotterdam.
Written by: Hamlet Bueno, MSc

-NALs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can imagine how a Dominican overseas must feel to be verbally assaulted like this. However, in the ebb and flow of 18th century politics the eastern part of the island WAS ceded to France by the Treaty of Basel (1797?). However, Haiti, which became independent in 1804, continued to lay claim to the lands ceded by the treaty.

The DR took its independence from Haiti. End of story.

I can't see this going anywhere, but I'll leave it open for a while...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Isn't the Dominican-Haitian friction pretty much like the Hatfields and McCoys? Will it ever really end?

I don't know. I'm asking...

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Isn't the Dominican-Haitian friction pretty much like the Hatfields and McCoys? Will it ever really end?

No sir, not even close. That encounter in Paris was blown out of proportion by an edumacated Dominican. And NALs should stick to what he knows best: Wiki searches for Wiki facts.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I think that was an isolated incident seen in the eyes of one person and just because it made it in an article doesn't mean that it holds major substance. I think Dominicans & Haitians co-exist together and go about there daily lives. Of course you will a$$holes on both sides but they don't represent the beliefs of the whole. I can refer to numerous incidents of Puerto Ricans bad mouthing (anti-dominicanism) dominicans calling them all kinds of THIS and all kinds of THAT. But I won't waste your time in posting their brainless dribble.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I wouldn't say it is as ugly. The current relationship between Doms and Haitians here is somewhat similar to the Amer-Mexican relationship with regard to immigrants - with the exception that there is a lot more social interaction and intermarrying here in the DR than between Americans and illegal Mexicans in the States.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Iwould suggest that there is one major difference in the relation between the Haiti-DR relationship and that of illegal Mexicans and ourselves, their U.S. hosts, and that is that the DR doesnt have much of a social saftey net, emergency services, etc for the Haitians to defraud. On the other hand, illegals in the States receive top notch emergency medical care, their kids go to public schools, and basiclaly they are treated with the same rights as a taxpaying citizen while they send their earnings back over the border. This is at obvious great expense to the US taxpayer. In the DR there isnt the level of services to defraud.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Iwould suggest that there is one major difference in the relation between the Haiti-DR relationship and that of illegal Mexicans and ourselves, their U.S. hosts, and that is that the DR doesnt have much of a social saftey net, emergency services, etc for the Haitians to defraud. On the other hand, illegals in the States receive top notch emergency medical care, their kids go to public schools, and basiclaly they are treated with the same rights as a taxpaying citizen while they send their earnings back over the border. This is at obvious great expense to the US taxpayer. In the DR there isnt the level of services to defraud.

While it is a law that people can't be denied emergency medical care in the States, what about follow up treatment? Who is going to pay for the medicine?

Also, you seem to ignore the fact that the cheap wages directly affects all Americans in the prices they pay for most food goods.

The fact is the immigrantion dynamic is a lot more complex that you seem to understand. A lot of Americans have been hoodwinked to think that there is a great threat from SOB since 911 when that isn't the case.

Nonetheless, with illegal immigration on the forefront of politics today it has forced the politicians to address this issue, and the fact is that inevitably we will all have to pay a lot when they finally close the border.

I am for not breaking the law but I am not for blaming what ails our country on the for the most part a hard working people. I hope to see some type of solution to get these people to some migrant worker status. Those that have no full time jobs then of course should loose privelages to be in the States. Then there is the issue of retribution to be paid. None of these will be easy to implement, but now that the box has been opened, the job has to be finished.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003

Actually in the DR it is much worse. Some public hospitals see more than 80% of their budget caring for ilegal Haitians, to the point that Haitian women will cross into the DR for the sole reason to give labor.

I could just picture Lou Dobbs having an attack if that were ever to occur in the U.S.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Actually in the DR it is much worse. Some public hospitals see more than 80% of their budget caring for ilegal Haitians, to the point that Haitian women will cross into the DR for the sole reason to give labor.

I could just picture Lou Dobbs having an attack if that were ever to occur in the U.S.

Haitians contribute to the DR more than they take economically speaking.

The politicians here take all of the money - FACT. A country where in fact many politicians make more morey (in US dollars) than their counterparts do in the States. Not only that they are all but unavailable to the public.

I remember Nals actually defending that the politicians here in the DR deserve their money - well if that is the case why not the other professionals here that work for the gov't.? A nurses assistant here only makes RD9k a month and an Army major makes RD14k a month with 20 years experiance. In the States the wages would be US50 for the assistant and US80+k for the major.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I understand that ILLEGAL immigration is too complex for my time here on the board. But what I was trying to say is that you cant steal water from a rock. So illegals receiving care from a 1st world medical system and public education from a 1st world education system is obviously much more costly than any bill they can run up in the DR.
I had a Haitian working for me and took him to Bornugal Hospital instead of the ?public? butcher because of the horrible care in the public POP clinic. But, I paid for his care out of pocket.

siegs

May 9, 2006
You're kidding right?

...to the point that Haitian women will cross into the DR for the sole reason to give labor.

It does indeed happen here in the US.
Better not tell Lou.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Much the same as the well off Dominican women who travel to the United States to deliver their children.

Main difference between the poor Mexican women and the well off Dominicans is the rich Dominicans can travel and stay in comfort. I've known many American passport carrying Domincans that are actually not culturally American at all, they were merely born in the U.S. in order to have citizenship but have spent all of their lives living in the D.R.

Many of those lucky enough to hold or be eligable to hold that dark blue passport have no idea to what lengths others would go in order to have those same opportunities. Traveling or even staying for six months or so in a developing country isn't enough to really see what it is like for those struggling to better their own and their children's lives.

I have never appreciated or loved America more than I do now after having spent most of the last 12 years working and living abroad.