Hotel Riu Mambo

Status
Not open for further replies.

katch

Sep 6, 2007
The hotel details posted on line seem like it's a nice place, clean, with good food, nice sized pool and a fine location.
I am thnk to spend a week there rather than Playa Dorada.

Any recent experiences about this place would be helpful.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Not too recent, but I lodged a large group of dentists and dental students there for a mission trip in June, 2007. They loved it, and the group that is visiting this June has already asked me if they are going to be in the same hotel.

katch

Sep 6, 2007
Riu Mambo

Thanks for the info.
Would you know if the Riu Mambo is located inside the same camp as the Riu Merengue and Riu Bachata ?
How was the entertainment?
Thanks.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
The Mambo, Merengue and Bachata are side by side in the same enclave. At night, we were far too exhausted after working in the free clinic all day to pay any attention to the entertainment, so I cannot help you there.

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
When I was there they had nightly entertainment which was your typical resort entertainment. The Mambo had good rooms and staff, you also have access to all three of the resorts during the day. You are required to eat supper at your own resort but you can have your other meals and snacks at either one. They have the best food that I have had in the DR, if you go hungry here there is something wrong with you. We preferred the Merengue pool bar because we found Yolanda the bartender there and just kept going back and giving her our tips. You can go to the back of the Bachata where they have the water sports centre and a little bar. The vendors also have stalls set up here if you wish to do some shopping. When you are on the beach at Mambo facing the ocean, to your right you will find more vendor stalls. The Bachata has the swim up bar but the Mambo has the best stretch of beach, so it all depends on what is important to you.

katch

Sep 6, 2007
Riu Mambo

I appreciate all the info that was posted. Good food is always a big plus. On Trip Advisor, I read some rooms had no A/C or the A/C was not working; any such experience?

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
There is a switch by the door to the room that controls all electricity. The maids routinely turn that off after cleaning. If the guest doesn't figure out that the switch has to be turned back on, no electricity, no air, etc.

wild4vball

Dec 26, 2006
Hi katch -- my husband &I will return to Riu in 2 weeks for our 10th time. Yes, we love it there! The entertainment isn't great, but is defenitely good entertainment. The animacion staff are the ones that really make it fun and they are good about getting the crowd involved as well. If you should have more questions about this resort, feel free to call e-mail me at fans4wild@yahoo.com!! :)

~Tara

katch

Sep 6, 2007
Riu Mambo: Internet

How is the internet connection in the hotel? Can you log on in your room if you bring a laptop, or do they provide some PCs for rent in the hotel, or ??

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Last June there was no internet in the rooms, but they do have a small, air-conditioned internet center near the reception area.

Charges are per hour or portions thereof.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
I was there 2 months ago, The entertainment, the food at RIU MERENGUE is great.. My only problem is that it is non-smoker's nightmare. I wish they had non-smoking sections, like in the restaurant, bar sections etc..

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Katch...even if they did...the best advice would be NOT to bring a laptop with you...you never know who's watching...besides, if you are on vacation...why tie yourself up to a computer at all???

Anyway, back to the original OP...I stayed at the Bachata a loooong time ago...and had a great time...food, room, entertainment...EVERYTHING was perfect...

I even went out to Bahia de Maimon to have fresh fish with the "Animacion Team" (there were numerous posts on that!) Cheap and really good fish!!!

MQ

Status
Not open for further replies.