4 day flu?

krayzieb123

Jan 8, 2005
has anyone else experienced what my friend calls the 4 day flu in DR. I have visited twice and i get the flu after 4 days there. I have all my booster shots and even took a flu shot weeks before i traveled. No insect bites, normal diet, no travelers diarherria, i never drink the local water, but i do take showers with the water. I don't brush my teeth with it though. I've heard that i need the floride that is in my native country (USA).

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The D.R receives tourists from all over, but mainly Europe and North America. I have determined that flu and other bugs come from these tow different zones, exposing the folks from either place(and DOminicans) to viruses and bacterial elements that they haven?t had exposure to previously, and therefore, haven?t built up resistance.

Aug 21, 2007
Don't know about the four day flu. But I have been living here and have what I call the Cabarete Cough. I have had flu-like symptoms for two weeks now, including an aggravating cough. At first, I thought it was due to Cabarete's dust problem. I try to avoid antibiotics unless I absolutely need them, but nothing else has worked so far. Anyone else have the Cabarete Cough?? What do you do for it?

Lindsey

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't know about the four day flu. But I have been living here and have what I call the Cabarete Cough. I have had flu-like symptoms for two weeks now, including an aggravating cough. At first, I thought it was due to Cabarete's dust problem. I try to avoid antibiotics unless I absolutely need them, but nothing else has worked so far. Anyone else have the Cabarete Cough?? What do you do for it?

Lindsey
We just call it the Dominican flu.
It must be one of the longest lasting and most resistant flu strains on Earth.
Sometimes, you're still left with minor symptoms a month from the onset.
I have had it multiple times and have NEVER found anything that helped.
Some folks do appreciate the symptomatic relief of various pills like "Anti Flu".

krayzieb123

Jan 8, 2005
symptoms

the first was the worst. I was feeling fine and then i felt faint and i got a instant cold sweat and later i had high fever and chills.(no cough) When i returned home i still felt weak and lost my voice. I took the usual cold/flu medicine with no results. It just seem to wear off. The second time was not as bad. I just felt weak with lite fever and my friend prepared some type of remedy with a herb, honey and and purple onion (yuk) and the cold/flu meds. (lots of hot tea/coffee) It soon went away but when i returned home i lost my lost my voice again for a day. Doc says i am healthy as a horse. Maybe i have to build an immunity.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
To be honest I am confused here.... are you really talking about 'flu, as in influenza, or a cold? As well as the bad throat do you have the sneezes and a runny nose? I appreciate some of the symptoms can be similar but real influenza will land you in bed with absolutely no appetite or energy for at least a week whereas with a cold you will feel 'rotten' but can continue to function. As the old saying goes "feed a cold and starve a fever". I have had one severe cold back in July/ August 2006 contracted from those around me but, fortunately, nothing since after 20 months of living here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Guess I will just tough it out.

Yes do & it'll hit you less frequently. The minute I feel symptoms of grip? (which isn't very often) I drink lime juice (almost by the bucket) & symptoms go in less than 24 hours. I was beginning to think it wasn't grip? at all but an allergy to something in the cement (with the building next door etc). Have given up trying to determine cause now I know what cure (for me) is. No cough though (& if I did I'd probably put it down to smoking :cheeky:).

krayzieb, yours couldn't have been mild sunstroke could it?

krayzieb123

Jan 8, 2005
Yes do & it'll hit you less frequently. The minute I feel symptoms of grip? (which isn't very often) I drink lime juice (almost by the bucket) & symptoms go in less than 24 hours. I was beginning to think it wasn't grip? at all but an allergy to something in the cement (with the building next door etc). Have given up trying to determine cause now I know what cure (for me) is. No cough though (& if I did I'd probably put it down to smoking :cheeky:).

krayzieb, yours couldn't have been mild sunstroke could it?

maybe, i was pretty dehydrated. but had flu like symtoms

Aug 21, 2007
Lambada- I, too, thought it may be attributed to allergies. But the sluggishness I feel is not typical of my cronic sinus problems.

Thanks for the tip of lime juice. I have a big bag of limes and will get started drinking green tea and lime as soon as the microwave has the water hot!

Lindsey

krayzieb123

Jan 8, 2005
Lambada- I, too, thought it may be attributed to allergies. But the sluggishness I feel is not typical of my cronic sinus problems.

Thanks for the tip of lime juice. I have a big bag of limes and will get started drinking green tea and lime as soon as the microwave has the water hot!

Lindsey

Now that you mention it, my friend did make the lime juice for me the second time. maybe this is why it was not as bad. I'll start drinking it each day i am there.

J

John Evans

study your urine while on holiday - if its dark and smells you are de-hydrated or have diabetes

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
One thing I?ve found in my travels is to buy some local honey to alleviate allergies in a new place. Apparently it is like innoculating yourself to all the new flora , since the bees making the honey are using many of the local allergens.....It seems to work for me.

krayzieb123

Jan 8, 2005
One thing I?ve found in my travels is to buy some local honey to alleviate allergies in a new place. Apparently it is like innoculating yourself to all the new flora , since the bees making the honey are using many of the local allergens.....It seems to work for me.

Cool, i think the lime juice and the honey is the knockout punch i need

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Cool, i think the lime juice and the honey is the knockout punch i need

And if it IS dehydration you'll respond to the fluids, like you did on the second occasion. If you ever need to know you can get rehydration salts in most farmacias here. You don't need to be hooked up to a drip. Buy Electrolitos Apo - a powder you mix with clean water & drink. It's for children so tastes ok - the pineapple version is quite acceptable. :)

Preferable to having your head in the loo examining your urine I guess..........