American Teacher..moving to DR

happyteacher

Jan 7, 2008
Hi-
I've never started a thread before, therefore apologize if I am not following the rules, or am putting my question in the wrong spot.

I am a high school special education teacher currently living in the U.S. I am seriously considering moving to the DR and want to test it out first for three months in June, July and August. I would like to find a job teaching those months I am in the DR. I will be visiting again from March 21st-28th if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am not fluent in Spanish, however am learning at a rapid pace.

Thank you in advance for any/all help you can provide-

Adventurous teacher

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
My advice would be to check existing and previous threads on this board using the search function. You will undoubtably will find many answers to your questions here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
. I am seriously considering moving to the DR and want to test it out first for three months in June, July and August. I would like to find a job teaching those months I am in the DR.

Word in your ear, happyteacher, & kindlily meant - you might want to check out when the school holidays are in the DR........;) Know what I mean?

happyteacher

Jan 7, 2008
Word in your ear, happyteacher, & kindlily meant - you might want to check out when the school holidays are in the DR........;) Know what I mean?

Yes I do know what you mean, however, I have done my research and being that I am in the special education field....students, in the Dominican and around the world can receive services year-round. :glasses: but thank you for the heads up.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I think the entire popultion of the D:R. goes to the beach. People that never go to the beach go to the beach, almost as if they are obligated. And for some reason the girls like to put their hair in cornrows for that week. So the beach in Sosua should be extra lively, lots of reggaton and dancing.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
BTW, what is life like in Sosua, or other parts of DR, during Semana Santa ?
thank you in advance

Mostly a drunken fun-loving mob. The feeling is something like a carnival. Everyone goes to the beach, everyone drinks copiously, everyone has a whole lot of fun and most normal people like us stay off the roads. ;)

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I think the entire popultion of the D:R. goes to the beach. People that never go to the beach go to the beach, almost as if they are obligated. And for some reason the girls like to put their hair in cornrows for that week. So the beach in Sosua should be extra lively, lots of reggaton and dancing.

Wow, must be nice. So, everybody to the beach, nobody at the church, am I right ? lol

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The International School in Sosua usually needs American teachers. Every class is in English there.

You could call them at this number.

809-571-3271

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Leaving Easter aside.........:cheeky: what I'd picked up was that happyteacher wanted to work as a teacher during her try out period in June, July, August.

Yes I do know what you mean, however, I have done my research and being that I am in the special education field....students, in the Dominican and around the world can receive services year-round. :glasses: but thank you for the heads up.

Yes of course students needing special education can receive services year-round. The question is, do they, in the DR? Educational facilities here tend to go on summer recess in June & resume in August, so a teaching job for June, July & August might not be the easist to find. Now if you're talking about residential facilities where you could volunteer, that is different. If you are on the north coast one suggestion would be the Mustard Seed Foundation but, since you say you have already done your research then you will know about this one & others in different parts of the DR.

Are you looking to be a volunteer or is it paid work you want for June, July & August?

happyteacher

Jan 7, 2008
Thanks Lambada-
Yes I am only visiting friends during holy week; however I was looking for suggestions on different schools/residential facilities so that I could drive to different places while I am there in March. Even if they are closed at least I can visually see the places that are possible opportunities. I am really looking for multiple suggestions, I can research a lot online, however it is helpful to get information from real people who know the area and can give their opinions.
I am up for really anything that includes helping students. I would like some sort of compensation while I am in the DR so that I can afford to live while I am there.