Pedernales Peninsula Road Trip

IslandRedneck

Dec 14, 2007
Aloha all-

I am planning a week of exploring the Pedernales peninsula and was hoping for any feedback on the wisdom and feasibility of what we would like to do- and most importantly, concerns possibly being overlooked!

We are 4 late-20's gringos with basic spanish and extensive travel experience, albeit first-timers to the DR. Was thinking of renting an SUV in Santo Domingo for this, but see so much advice against driving at all. Warnings are good, but I find it hard to imagine it being THAT bad for an experienced driver- at least during the day.

We want a day to circle Enriquillo, a day exploring the Pelempito mountain environs, an overnight camping trip at Bahia de Las Aguilas, and a few days hopping around the coastal towns without any solid itenerary.

I guess my main concerns are reports of hurricane damage, possible safety issues in the region (break-ins or worse), or that the anti-driving reports really are as dangerous as some people have posted.

I'm not opposed to going for public transit, it just seems like what we want to do will be alot more difficult and expensive that way! Much thanks in advance for your comments.

Mahalo,

-Kevin

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
If you want to do the Pedernales/Pelempito/Bahia de las Aguilas/Lago Enriquillo circuit, I suggest you get your own transportation. That's an excellent adventure and I have done it done several times and would do it again in a heartbeat. I do not recommend public transportaion because there's so many breathtaking views on the highway from Barahona to Pedernales that you will want to stop constantly to take pictures; having your own transportation will give you the freedom to stop whenever you want to take pictures, explore and talk to the people. There's a great deal to see and enjoy on that trip. I do not recommend overnight camping at Bahia de las Aguilas for safety reasons, if you need any pointers or any driving directions do not hesitate to PM me.

Thanks

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
If you want to do the Pedernales/Pelempito/Bahia de las Aguilas/Lago Enriquillo circuit, I suggest you get your own transportation. That's an excellent adventure and I have done it done several times and would do it again in a heartbeat. I do not recommend public transportaion because there's so many breathtaking views on the highway from Barahona to Pedernales that you will want to stop constantly to take pictures; having your own transportation will give you the freedom to stop whenever you want to take pictures, explore and talk to the people. There's a great deal to see and enjoy on that trip. I do not recommend overnight camping at Bahia de las Aguilas for safety reasons, if you need any pointers or any driving directions do not hesitate to PM me.

Thanks

Could you expand on overnight camping safety issues? Do you have first-hand experience? Is this for this area in general or camping in the DR in general? Once you are in the park it is pretty remote and my guess is that is anyone would come to bother you they would have to make the trip by boat.

Thanks

IslandRedneck

Dec 14, 2007
Budson, you may find this VERY interesting. Having been alerted to the dangers of camping there, I poked around on google and found an obituary in the area- but the cause of death was... crocodile??? I was anticipating a very different kind of saftey concern! Check this out, I pasted the links as well. First two are the obituary and the missing persons report talking about camping at Bahia de Las Aguilas, the last one is S&R site where I got this citation.

"12-18-2002 2002-2575-403(D). SARM SP Dom. Republic. Sean Clinton Stover. Team: H. Oakes SAR Dog Valorie K-9-1. Results: Sent them telephone message and email consult. Worked on logistics. Flew to Dom. Republic. Met w/ Stovers in Philiy and we flew to Dom.Repub. Then looked at Hospital and city morgue for their son, sean. Then drove 6 hours West towards SAR Area. Airlines lost my luggage. Did search. Val located Sean's death site. He had been killed by a crocodile."

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/nelson/obits/s/o-sto01.txt
JW Missionary Missing in Dominican Republic : Latest Watchtower Information - Jehovah's Witness Abuse Survivors
K9 Search and Rescue

IslandRedneck

Dec 14, 2007
Safety

Thanks a bunch Marilyn, I'll PM you with a few more detailed questions on directions after I do a bit more homework. But for the time being, and for the benefit of the masses, are their certain areas/activities to avoid entirely due to safety issues? This is my main concern, as one of our crew is a bit "greener" than the rest- and is relying on the rest of us to avoid, what she refers to as "getting robbed for sticking out as white people in a new shiny SUV". A valid concern, in some countries I've been to at least!

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Budson, you may find this VERY interesting. Having been alerted to the dangers of camping there, I poked around on google and found an obituary in the area- but the cause of death was... crocodile??? I was anticipating a very different kind of saftey concern! Check this out, I pasted the links as well. First two are the obituary and the missing persons report talking about camping at Bahia de Las Aguilas, the last one is S&R site where I got this citation.

"12-18-2002 2002-2575-403(D). SARM SP Dom. Republic. Sean Clinton Stover. Team: H. Oakes SAR Dog Valorie K-9-1. Results: Sent them telephone message and email consult. Worked on logistics. Flew to Dom. Republic. Met w/ Stovers in Philiy and we flew to Dom.Repub. Then looked at Hospital and city morgue for their son, sean. Then drove 6 hours West towards SAR Area. Airlines lost my luggage. Did search. Val located Sean's death site. He had been killed by a crocodile."

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/nelson/obits/s/o-sto01.txt
JW Missionary Missing in Dominican Republic : Latest Watchtower Information - Jehovah's Witness Abuse Survivors
K9 Search and Rescue

Been there a number of time. Will be going back in a couple of weeks and this time I plan to camp there. Tired to driving long distances each day to hit a hotel. Never heard of crocs there although my guess is that there are. I have seen large iguanas that come up to my truck which can be pretty nasty if they smell food. I am more concerned about the locals and the roads.

BTW, it was hit hard by two hurricanes this summer. I couldn't get in after the first one and can only imagine how bad it is after the second. Anyone know the current status?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Thanks a bunch Marilyn, I'll PM you with a few more detailed questions on directions after I do a bit more homework. But for the time being, and for the benefit of the masses, are their certain areas/activities to avoid entirely due to safety issues? This is my main concern, as one of our crew is a bit "greener" than the rest- and is relying on the rest of us to avoid, what she refers to as "getting robbed for sticking out as white people in a new shiny SUV". A valid concern, in some countries I've been to at least!

When I mention safety issues I'm not referring to four legged creatures, I'm referring to 2 legged ones. I have never camped anywhere in the DR (I'm Dominican and live here) and wouldn't recommend anyone to do so. It would be good if you can get an off duty policeman (they come cheap) to keep keep watch at night for you (just an idea to be on the safe side). On the other hand, it migh be safe, but my concern is that tourists are easy prey for thieves.

BTW, no crocs anywhere close to Bahia de las Aguilas, plenty of iguanas but no crocs and iguanas are very safe unless they see food, but they won't attack.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
When I mention safety issues I'm not referring to four legged creatures, I'm referring to 2 legged ones. I have never camped anywhere in the DR (I'm Dominican and live here) and wouldn't recommend anyone to do so. It would be good if you can get an off duty policeman (they come cheap) to keep keep watch at night for you (just an idea to be on the safe side). On the other hand, it migh be safe, but my concern is that tourists are easy prey for thieves.

BTW, no crocs anywhere close to Bahia de las Aguilas, plenty of iguanas but no crocs and iguanas are very safe unless they see food, but they won't attack.

I agree in general with Marilyn about the general safety of camping in the DR. Bahia de la Aguilas is remote, and road access is closed at night. If you enter as a day visitor and don't establish a camp until nightfall, most likely no one will know you are in there and that is the best strategy. I will be camping there in 2 weeks. I will let you know how I do, if I survive :cheeky:

Aug 19, 2004
El Hoyo de Pelempito

One place that interests me in the South West (though I have neve been) is El Hoyo de Pelempito - how good is the road there - would a car be Ok or do you neeed 4x wheel drive.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The last section of road, once you're in the pine forest, is pretty rough. I'd say a 4 wheel drive was needed.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
The last section of road, once you're in the pine forest, is pretty rough. I'd say a 4 wheel drive was needed.

I know the last section is rough. 4WD is a must although I have seen people make it with cars if they have enough strongmen to push. My question is has it gotten any worst (if that is possible) since Olga and have they dug out the access road just before the fishing village that was covered with a foot of sand during Noel?

BTW- Open fires are not allowed anywhere once you get inside the national park area.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Car is fine -- I did it on the back of a motoconcho-- ay yee --- but there is a good paved road from Pedernales along with a stunning beautiful back road. Ask in town if the back road is open as that is the more interesting "scenic route" --looks like Switzerland, really.. Also make sure to pack water and a picnic lunch (and sweater or jacket perhaps) as it is stunningly beautiful up there, with trails, with markers, and no facilities. One of the great treasures of the DR. Stunning, glorious, you can just walk out over the clouds, feel like you are sitting in the palm of God's hand..... (guess you can tell that I love it?)...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Oh, you know -- it is true that the last bit of road was washed out.... sorry, I was so stunned by the view that I forgot that bit. And, of course, a concho, although harder on the backside than a car, is a lot easier to manoever.... But don't miss it-- really-- and plan to spend a few hours there, not just a touch down (which is the standard sort of Dominican visit for some reason).. I am always surprised in Pedernales that there is not more of a business around taking people up there. No packed lunches, even for Bahia, no renting of snorkeling equipment, no day tours,,,, really.... undiscovered...

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I was theresome three weeks ago, and my guess is you can get through the pine forest with ordinary car, but high clearence would help. However Bahia de las Aquilas is a different story, you need a proper 4x4 to get out of the beach, even though it has been fixed somewhat, when I was there year ago it was worse.
As to camping there, the park guard told me it was prohibited, I slept there last year, and nobody objected, but this year the park guard said it was prohibited, even though many people were camping there (it was long weekend), when I asked, they told me they had permission from some ministry. Some lot of bulls.t if you ask me. I plan to go there next month, and this time will camp. I would recomend going through the mountains from Lago enrequillo to Pedernales, through puerto excondido, prytty good scenery, but bad bad road. Not sure if it is safe or not.

EireFomhoire

Jul 3, 2009
crocs

If you are camping there do watch out for crocs at night. The person (Sean Stover) that was in the obituary was one of my brother's best friends. Sean and another friend were camping on the beach and one morning his friend woke up and all of Sean's stuff and shoes were there but he wasn't. The obituary about the croc is true and the fact that someone would say anything to claim that there are no crocs and therefore that his death couldn't of happened is a little upsetting. Shortly after his disappearance, we lost touch with his mother and we never brought up the subject so I never found out what happened to him til now so thanks to your post I know.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
None of those links worked for me - what was the exact location of the tragedy? I would have thought the crocs were in Lago Enriquillo, an inland lake a couple of hours drive away, not in Bahia de las Aguilas.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I was there 2 weeks ago with a friend. We took public trans. to Pedernales, walked up to some conchos and rented a motorcycle for all day for $400 plus gas, drove out there and took a boat. It would be ideal to do the Southwest in a car, especially if you want to do Lago Enriquillo, but for budget reasons I couldn't. I was told by the park guard and by other friends who wanted to camp there that it was PROHIBITED because of something about the sea turtles. IF that is true, I think it's important to respect the government's attempt to protect endangered animals and NOT camp out there just because you feel like it. If you have a 4x4, just stay really late but don't camp. I have camped there in the past while no one else was there with a female friend and felt fine. But also there is another thread in here about some folks getting things stolen during the day, so when I went out in the water I moved my stuff up on the beach.

Other things...
In La Cueva (entrance to Bahia) they have built some nice new bathrooms! Great for changing into your suit before heading out there.
Take your own snorkeling stuff. There isn't much in terms of coral, but when I went I saw: giant starfish, sting ray of some type, schools of fish and a few little colorful ones. This was toward the beginning of the beach. If you can, buy a cheap US $40 snorkeling set at a sporting goods store in your country. Use it a couple times and it's already paid for here.
Please don't litter or leave your trash on the beach. Actually if you see some and are in a vehicle, why not pick some things up to take back and dispose? They have been cleaning the beach up but if everyone pitches in it will help keep it beautiful.