Chicago to DR

1carryon

Feb 7, 2008
I see that a small airline USA3000 has direct, non-stop flights to Punta Cana from chicago OHare, which is AWESOME because the connections add so much to the travel time. Do any other carriers have direct, non-stop flights to DR?

I've read some posts that say United does but I cannot currently find any of those flights, they all connect via Miami or somewhere else.
We actually would like to fly into SDQ, but if the choice is between flying direct in the punta cana and driving more, versus having a 2+hr layover somewhere before landing in the DR, I think the former is better, yes?
Please advise about other carriers who currently have direct non stop flights from chicago. thank you!!

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
Chicago to the DR

I fly frequently from Chicago to the dr and have gone many different ways. usually on a fly spirit Airlines. and occasionally American airlines. with the average lay over of about two hours. once I flew into Pu and arrived very late final destination Santiago. the problem is the two-hour layover. not many airlines fly directly from Chicago to the DR except for charter flights. like those at Apple vacation and fun jet airlines. you used to be able to book a trip on Apple vacations air only. but that would only put you in pop. or pu. I'm also used to be a booking agent for a travel agency. there is another way and that is to fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami and then fly into Santa Domingo. by booking your airfare separately. you can look Chicago to Fort Lauderdale or Miami on one airline and then book Fort Lauderdale or Miami to Santa Domingo on another airline. believe me I have tried it every way that there is. PS you can PM me for further information is needed

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Charters are your best bet

I often fly ORD to the DR. Connections in Fla with customs thrown in can result in lost baggage, missed flights and lots of stress. Almost all charters out of ORD go to Punta Cana. USA3000 is the same airline the charters (Funjet and Apple) use. All charters offer an air only option. Sit back, watch a movie and you're there. The downside in arriving in Punta Cana is that it is a little more expensive to rent a car and you're a little more than two hours from the capital. The upside is that you stroll through customs unmolested with all the AI tourists and there are lots of interesting spots on along the South Coast.

1carryon

Feb 7, 2008
direct flights ORD-DR

thank you, I think your experience has confirmed my suspicions; if we want to fly a big carrier, such as United or American, then it means a stop somewhere - miami, san juan, atlanta. And that stop = lots of time. Plus customs, I hadn't thought about that. Spirit arlines has a connection, too. I'll look more into the usa3000 or funjet and apple vacations. Our friends said we should fly into san domingo, I'll have to ask exactly how far they are from the punta cana airport. Even if it takes two hours to drive, that would be faster than the layover.

Other than the distance to drive, are the roads safe and clearly marked? This would be our first trip.