Why do most Dominicans blindly prefer Hillary over Obama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsbridge77

Apr 29, 2004
On election day I asked my sister who she would vote for. She said Hillary, and when I asked her why, she said "because she's a woman".

Are you kidding me? How can anyone make a choice based on the gender of a person alone? And trust me, that was the only reason she gave me to vote for Hillary.

I asked my dad why he would vote for Hillary and he said that if Obama wins the Republicans will win because they can't stand black people. But guess what, according to polls, Obama would defeat John McCain, who looks like the future Republican opponent, while Hillary ties him or loses to him.

I asked several other adults, both male and female Dominicans, and they unanimously said they would vote for Hillary Clinton.

Do they know that Clinton voted to give Bush the authority to start the Iraq war?

Do they know that Obama promises to do the exact same things that Hillary is proposing for the Hispanic people?

In my opinion, many Hispanics, including Dominicans, are just too lazy to do research and at least try to get to know Barack Obama. They just go for the guy or girl whose name they are most familiar with.

And that's sad, if you ask me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's not just Dominicans, but 60% of Hispanics would vote for Clinton over Obama. You are right, people need to get to know Obama, then they are more likely to vote for Clinton. Probably you are more likely to vote for Obama because he is a man or dark skinned. Dominicans don't vote as a block any more than any other group of people, but it seems that black Democrats are.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I'm not black

..........or Dominican OR Hispanic and I am voting for and contributing to Hillary Clinton..........

.......Obama does not have a chance in hell when it comes to the general election...........

.....and possibly since the Clintons vacation in the Dominican Republic frequently and have visited many area of this country.........

.........I would think that ANY Dominican in NY would want to vote for Hillary since any issues.....if any, that ever arise that may affect Dominicans would be treated favorably in my opinion...........

:bunny::bunny::bunny: VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!!! :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Are you kidding me? How can anyone make a choice based on the gender of a person alone? And trust me, that was the only reason she gave me to vote for Hillary.

Why are you surprised by this? In all, politicians are always flip flopping on policies and try to stay as mainstream as they can on party politics. They make themselves as electable as possible so it is difficult to differentiate one candidate from the other and many, many people, especially in the DR, choose a candidate depending on who they "like" the most or what they can get from them. For many women, and many Blacks, an election based on race isn't some minor thing to just scoff at. It is a HUGE move for the US to elect a woman or an African American. And add to that the reality that both Obama and Clinton would be qualified for the job, making the choice on race or gender understandable.

I asked my dad why he would vote for Hillary and he said that if Obama wins the Republicans will win because they can't stand black people. But guess what, according to polls, Obama would defeat John McCain, who looks like the future Republican opponent, while Hillary ties him or loses to him.

Republicans hate Black people? Guess no one told Alan Keyes that!! Polls don't matter. Election day results matter. Months ago Giuliani was the man and McCain was on the skirts (according to the "polls") and now a few months later things have changed.

I asked several other adults, both male and female Dominicans, and they unanimously said they would vote for Hillary Clinton.

So is your assumption that because you asked a few friends you have the Latino/Hispanic community figured out? Are all Hispanics the same and therefore vote the same? Don't Cuban Americans vote overwhelmingly Republican? In the last elections Mexican voters leaned toward Bush...so how can you explain that?

Do they know that Clinton voted to give Bush the authority to start the Iraq war?

Do they know that Obama promises to do the exact same things that Hillary is proposing for the Hispanic people?

Do most Americans know what you have stated? Do most bloggers and political commentators? Do most care? Hilary and Barack have both flip flopped on all the issues so no one knows where both actually stand, so your assumption that Hilary is the "Latino" candidate is just as absurd as the idea that Bill Clinton was the "First Black President." You need to do some reading on the real deal of American politics before you make your assumptions.

In my opinion, many Hispanics, including Dominicans, are just too lazy to do research and at least try to get to know Barack Obama. They just go for the guy or girl whose name they are most familiar with.

And that's sad, if you ask me.

I feel like your generalization of Dominicans and Latinos is sad. I feel like your post is lazy, and therefore you are lazy. How do you like assumptions and negative generalizations now? Have you picked up a history book and read Latin American history? Do you realize that during the 60's, 70's and 80's many youth in Latin America died for their political beliefs? It is a region defined, in many aspects, by its politics and political history. Even today, in the DR, men and women are harassed for their political ideologies. And so because 10 people you asked have no idea about American politics they are lazy? Because Dominicans don't take the time out to read about Barack they are lazy? Why should they care about Obama?

Most Dominicans could care less about American politics because they have no vested interest in the system, besides victories on the local level. Most Dominicans in the US, for longstanding migratory fears, never vote in US elections and maintained strong connections to politics in the DR. Don;t ask Dominicans about Obama, ask them about Leonel and MVP.

There is also a separation among minorities and the poor (Blacks, Asian, Latino etc) from the political system. Most minorities don't vote because the system, in their eyes, doesn't do anything for them. Again, why should they care about Obama and how does not knowing about him equate with laziness?

In looking at your post maybe your choice of words is what distorts the message you are trying to convey. Maybe the word you were looking for is apathy? Still, lay off the generalizations.

Last edited:

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Now, Mr. Lu, I was unable to quote the shaded area, in which you wrote that both Obama and Clinton have "flip-flopped on all the issues so no one knows where both actually stand."

All the issues? No one knows? Generalizations, a bit CNNesque, and a lot of FOX, if you ask me. You have to agree, right?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Numerous news sources are reporting the rumors that latinos won't vote for Obama because he's black and I find that troubling. Some are saying its true and some are saying that latinos are more familiar with the Clintons. If you ask different people you will get different answers. There will come a time when a Latino will be running for a major office and will depend on the "black swing vote". Then those voters will be reminded of the racially charged 2008 primary and not vote for the Latino candidate. It's called a "protest vote."

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Show me a candiate who is pro life and pro family and a responsible spender and I could care less what color he is or what party he is affiliated with - I would vote for him.

You seem to have your mind made up, good buddy. May the best man win, right?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Numerous news sources are reporting the rumors that latinos won't vote for Obama because he's black and I find that troubling. Some are saying its true and some are saying that latinos are more familiar with the Clintons. If you ask different people you will get different answers. There will come a time when a Latino will be running for a major office and will depend on the "black swing vote". Then those voters will be reminded of the racially charged 2008 primary and not vote for the Latino candidate. It's called a "protest vote."

What is so troubling to me is that people are still identifying with race in the States. They could learn a lot from Dominicans, who the majority don't consider race as in issue in identifying themselves.

This and their friendliness I have witnessed in my last two years makes me really feel sorry for my compatriots back home. If the politicians were worth half a damn here, this place could bear darn near perfect.

Last edited:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It all comes down to who has better hair. Hillary's "pelo bueno" beats obama's "pelo malo" any day of the week. It's that simple.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
What is so troubling to me is that people are still identifying with race in the States. They could learn a lot from Dominicans, who the majority don't consider race as in issue in identifying themselves.

Unless you left america 20 years ago, I am a bit surprised by your statement. In which country in this world even as we speak has race never been an issue?. Where were you during the Rodney King trial/verdict?. Or maybe religion, or ethnicity or gender or even age never been an issue?.

If christians refused to vote for a muslim and vice-versa, would that trouble you?. What if most women decided to vote for Hillary because she is a woman, would that trouble you also?

I really do not think that race has played much of a factor in the current race. Obama won in Iowa which is a typical redneck state. Something that in MY opinion was unthinkable. He has won endorsement of many reputable white people even in congress. It is worthy of note that most of the black members of congress are in support of Hillary. Race has not been much of an issue.

I think that Dominicans identify more with race than we do. Have you ever told a black dominican that he/she looks like an Hatian and see their reaction?.

If Haitians looked like Puerto ricans, do you think they would have the same problems that they are having right now in the DR?.

How many dominican politicians are black and how many past presidents of the country have been black eventhough the majority of the country is black/mulatto?.

When was the last time you heard that a black person went to a club in the US and was refused entry because he/she was probably too 'dark'.

America is definitely less color conscious that the dominican republic unless you just refuse to see certain things.

The major thing going for Hillary Clinton at this moment is the legacy of her husband and the loyalty that many people seem to have for Bill Clinton otherwise if she were to run for office based solely on her merit, I do not think that she could win the nomination against Obama.

Most hispanic people have decided to go with Hillary more because of Bill Clinton's legacy and not due to race.

Race has not been much of an issue in this race.

Sholly

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Chip: My reference to Alan Keyes was a not so obvious sarcastic response to OP's original statement that Republicans hate Black people. Should have made that more clear. Though that whole concept is greatly overstated, especially in the media. And I agree. Give me a good candidate and I will vote, no matter what.

El Sabeloto Here is my reasoning for that comment. Its not a generalization when it is true. Have you seen the CNN debates? They [the candidates] have shifted opinions on Iraq, Health Care, Immigration, etc and it has even gotten to the point where Hilary has changed her campaign to mimic that of Obama's. Both are now using the "change" rhetoric when ironically Hilary would be the representation of the status quo Washington politician. She is the establishment. So where is the division? Each candidate makes a comment and then when the media gets a hold of it they take two steps back and try to explain their way out of it all. Remember Obama's Regan/GOP comments and how he back tracked out of those? Or Hilary's explanation of Health Care. Listen, at the end of the day politics becomes about who is a better salesman. And who can so cleverly make a statement and when s**t hits the fan who can find a way out of those comments. Bush before and after Iraq anyone?

Ricardo900: Just look at what CNN correspondent Roland S. Martin said a few weeks back with regards to that. The whole black/brown rhetoric. It's just fear and hate mongering. And all in all, bad journalism. Read the BBC.com. It's as good as we can get in terms of neutral political coverage.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Sholly, I'm glad you decided to call Chip on his comments. I feel like he is stuck in a cave somewhere to think that Dominicans don't identify themselves through race. Or that race doesn't play the same role here as it does in the US. Why do you think Pena Gomez was never going to be President? Anyways we should get back to talking politics before the thread gets closed......

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Unless you left america 20 years ago, I am a bit surprised by your statement. In which country in this world even as we speak has race never been an issue?. Where were you during the Rodney King trial/verdict?. Or maybe religion, or ethnicity or gender or even age never been an issue?.

If christians refused to vote for a muslim and vice-versa, would that trouble you?. What if most women decided to vote for Hillary because she is a woman, would that trouble you also?

I really do not think that race has played much of a factor in the current race. Obama won in Iowa which is a typical redneck state. Something that in MY opinion was unthinkable. He has won endorsement of many reputable white people even in congress. It is worthy of note that most of the black members of congress are in support of Hillary. Race has not been much of an issue.

I think that Dominicans identify more with race than we do. Have you ever told a black dominican that he/she looks like an Hatian and see their reaction?.

If Haitians looked like Puerto ricans, do you think they would have the same problems that they are having right now in the DR?.

How many dominican politicians are black and how many past presidents of the country have been black eventhough the majority of the country is black/mulatto?.

When was the last time you heard that a black person went to a club in the US and was refused entry because he/she was probably too 'dark'.

America is definitely less color conscious that the dominican republic unless you just refuse to see certain things.

The major thing going for Hillary Clinton at this moment is the legacy of her husband and the loyalty that many people seem to have for Bill Clinton otherwise if she were to run for office based solely on her merit, I do not think that she could win the nomination against Obama.

Most hispanic people have decided to go with Hillary more because of Bill Clinton's legacy and not due to race.

Race has not been much of an issue in this race.

Sholly

Thanks Sholly, you couldn't have said it better. I agree 100% with you. There are a LOT of people here in the DR who have blinders on when it comes to the "color" issue here in the DR. It all makes me sick. To me, it is like the pot calling the kettle black. Any time you've got Dominicans the color of mocha and darker who insist that they are indeed white, there's something wrong with that picture. My 2 cents.

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
clintons=welfare

The only reason dominicans abroad vote for the democratic party is mostly due to the scare tactics put upon them through "CNN". It is obvious that the spanish version is as eqaually left handed. The only thing dominicans abroad understand is that the republicans are taking away their welfare and handout. It is easy to shut them up by allowing them to see that welfare was restricted by it's widest margin in the clinton admin. No matter who wins, U.S. policy is stable!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The fact is the racial issues here in the DR are far superior to those in the US. I base this on having lived here for the last two years and speak the language fluently.

This topic has been discussed numerous times but in a nutshell, the aversion Dominicans have for dark skin and bad hair, etc stems from their volatile pasty with the Haitians, which is not anything like what is seen in the States, sorry. We have countless, countless mixed marriages here in Cibao and nobody bats an eye. In the States in most areas it is still a big issue.

You guys want to keep hacking away at racism here but the fact is it is practiced by a minority, not a majority. Also, a minority of the people are killers, rapists, crooks, etc. so please don't judge the whole society based on a few. YES, the white elite wield an irrespective amount of power and influence here, but at the end of the day, the normal domincan one encounters in the street is not like this.

Also, looking at supposed "racist" issues here through Western eyes and understanding will not get you anywhere.

To deny the superior race relations we have here is to ignore reality, and I'm sure many here will agree.

Also, the reference to Pe?a is hardly relevant, as he was considered Haitian by many. There have been other dark leaders of this country and there will certainly be more.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I would like to quote a good friend of mine by saying "to be BORN Canadian is like winning the lottery". I have never heard a truer statement! Of course in every part of the world there is racism, even in Canada, BUT many Canadians are following the U.S. political race and wondering how race can really play a part in such an important and influencial role in this world.

Although U.S. politics are part of our world and we know their politics, I can guarantee most Americans would not even know the name of the Canadian Prime Minister or that that person is even call a Prime Minster vs. President. My point is that most Dominicans with rights to vote in the U.S. do not even have grasp of the issues and are prejudiced against a black leader despite the black majority in the DR. I could not see many Canadians voting for a Clinton government that would put down to history the following: George Bush as president, Clinton as president, another Bush as president....and now possibly another Clinton. Now the possibilities are endless but I would like to think that the race between Clinton vs. Obama will be based on "best "man" win" rather than race! We must also remember that a majority of Dominicans voting in the U.S . election are uneducated in the issues that face the country and vote blindly by popularity in their communities as they do in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.