Carnaval in the Southwest

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos!
Does anyone know of any Carnaval celebrations in the southwest area, specifically this coming February 24th? I was hoping to photograph a smalltown celebration maybe in Cabral or in the Bahorucco area. Also, when does Barahona have their Carnaval?
Gracias.
Paul Gerace

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Hope to see you there!

Sorry, Paul, but I don't know anything about Carnaval in Bani, bit I'm going to be in Barahona with Margaret & some friends Feb 29th to Mar 4th. Please let me know if there is any way we can get together down there!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Saludos!
Does anyone know of any Carnaval celebrations in the southwest area, specifically this coming February 24th? I was hoping to photograph a smalltown celebration maybe in Cabral or in the Bahorucco area. Also, when does Barahona have their Carnaval?
Gracias.
Paul Gerace

Hi Paul,
The Southwest starts celebrating its carnival during Independence weekend but the main celebration is on Sabado Santo (day after Good Friday also called Holy Saturday), it's called "Carnaval Cimarron del Sur" or "Wild Southwest Carnival". Las "cachuas de Cabral" culminate the carnival on Monday after holy week by burning an image of Judas at the Cabral cemetery. It's a great time also to enjoy the delicious Habichuelas con dulces (sweet beans) which is made in industrial quantities in every household and shared with the neighbors.

I'll be in Bahoruco (playa Bahoruco) from Wednesday, March 18 to Sunday March 23rd to enjoy the festivities, have some coconut fish and definitely to enjoy the traditional habichuelas con dulce.

My memories when I was little visiting my grandmother in Bahoruco was when the "cachuas de Cabral" arrived. All children would start running and hiding under beds or any place we found, they arrived making lots of noise and striking the "foetes" on the pavement in order to create panic and of course,making us all run for our lives, it was terrifyingly fun as long as we had our parents or grandparents close by to "protect us"; one time they dragged my brother from under a neighbor's bed (he didn't have time to run home), he was terrified and screaming but he was "saved" my our neighbor who asked them "not to hurt him because he was a good boy"; those are great memories from childhood, but I guess I'm traumatized by the experience because I'm still fascinated with them but mostly really scared of them :paranoid:

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Marilyn.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like lots of fun. I will have to plan a trip during that time of year. I will just miss it this year. I hope you can take some photos of the celebration. I would love to see what the costumes look like. I hear they are very colorful.
Gracias.
Paul