AT&T Wireless cell phones in Punta Cana

tiacovelli

Sep 23, 2007
Does anyone know if AT&T wireless cell phones work in Punta Cana? What is the best way to call back to the US while in Punta Cana?

Feb 7, 2007
I you have international roaming enabled on your phone, it will work in Punta cana.

If your phone is CDMA phone, it will work via Claro, Tricom or Centennial networks.
If your phone is GSM phone (witha SIM card - chip) it will work via Claro or Orange networks.

If your phone is CDMA phone, you can also get a second number activated on it (NUM2) at Claro dealerships. make sure they program it as a secondary number, so as not to lose your AT&T number and service!

If your phone is GSM phone, and it is unlocked, you can activate a SIM card with Orange or Claro (provided that Claro accepts passports for SIM activations already). Orange activation is striaghtforward, with your passport, and 10 dollars (300 pesos) you get your prepaid startup kit in 10 minutes. If your phone is locked, ask for an unlock code your AT&T service center or call center before you leave. Eventually, you can unlock your phone in PUJ after you come here. Just go to any cellular store NOT marked Orange (venta y reparacion de celulares).

You can also buy new phone at Orange, with a prepaid SIM card, for under 1000 pesos (30 dollars) or with Claro dealers you can buy used phones for as little as 300 pesos (10 dollars).

It is cheaper to use local service to call USA than your AT&T service. You pay US$0.3 per minute to call USA on local service (Claro/Orange), compared to up to US$3 per-minute roaming charges with AT&T.

tiacovelli

Sep 23, 2007
Thank you for responding. I've been doing some research since I posted the question. I found a company that actually lets your rent a phone and provides 45 prepaid minutes for $15 (US dollars) per week. They actually ship it to your home prior to leaving and you return it when you return home. The service is provided by Claro. You can add additional minutes at anytime. I decided to go with this.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I just recently got a phone with AT&T in Puerto rico with a National Plan that includes everywhere in the U.S. I also got an international roaming plan that includes the D.R.. When you roam in the D.R AT&T is gsm so it roaming with Claro GSM but i was told that 1 year back the roaming in the D.R was thru Orange which is terrible?????????? i cannot complain i have pretty good reception.

tiacovelli

Sep 23, 2007
I have an unlocked my ATT wireless GSM phone. If I go to Orange or Claro and purchase a SIM card with prepaid minutes I assume I receive a local DR phone number. If so, can I receive calls from the US?

Music Factory

Feb 9, 2008
www.mufain.com
when you do get a sim card at orange or claro you will get a new dominican issued local (meaning a 809 or 829) number. and you can make and receive calls... unlimited free incomming calls !!! they do come with a 100 pesos / aprox US$3 calling card balance on it. refilling is very simple.. by just buying a calling card.

fredsweet

Mar 6, 2008
iphones

Do iphones from at&t work in punta cana for calling back to the U.S.? I was thinking about getting the international plan added to my phone for the time we're on holiday- but only if there is coverage.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Centennial is almost launching their GSM network that will work together with CDMA network as Claro.

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
Does anyone know if AT&T wireless cell phones work in Punta Cana? What is the best way to call back to the US while in Punta Cana?

Yeah they work just about anywhere in DR but with Roaming they'll charge ya an arm and a leg, best buy a phone card there and call from a pay phone.

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
I have an unlocked my ATT wireless GSM phone. If I go to Orange or Claro and purchase a SIM card with prepaid minutes I assume I receive a local DR phone number. If so, can I receive calls from the US?

Thats even better, get a Orange or Claro sim and have your people call you (since incoming minutes are unlimited) that way you can talk all you want and don't have to spend much.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
does att work in santo domingo?

Yes, it works everywhere in the DR. I have a iPhone 4 and it worked perfectly in the DR when I was there in December, it just says "Claro" instead of AT&T.

I was in Santiago by the way. But it will work any where in the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
does att work in santo domingo?

Oh it works, but have the smelling salts ready when you get your bill. Very expensive.

If you're here for a short visit, just use it for emergencies. If you're here a bit longer, it pays to buy a cheap local phone and phone cards. If you haven't left the US left, bring an old phone with you, they'll unlock it and give you minutes for about $10/US.

AE

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
I just got myself a new AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9900. Last week when i was in DR, i still had my iphone. Does BlackBerry Internet service (e.g. BlackBerry messenger) work through the roaming? will it pick up 4G or 3G?