Going to Bani in end of June.....

Bani

Feb 11, 2008
Hello,

I am 18 years old. I live in NYC, and my Father is Dominican (my mom is Puerto Rican; go figure lol). His family house is in Bani. I'll never been to Dominican Republic before. We are going to the end of June-July 2008 for 3 weeks. I can't wait! lol

Anyway, I got some questions:

1) How is Bani? Is there anything interested to do around there? I am going to be here for 3 weeks, and I do not want to bored! LOL

2) How far is Bani to Santo Domingo? How much its it to grab a taxi from Bani to Santo Domingo? Are there any good beaches in Santo Domingo?

3) What beaches are near Bani? Are the beaches good?

4) How is the weather in Bani/Santo Domingo in June and July?

5) Are the people in Dominican Republic "people-friendly"?

6) We are probably going to spend 2 weeks in His family house, and 1 week in a resort; we do not know yet. But are there any good resorts around Bani? Or perhaps Santo Domingo? or any place else.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2007
I will answer your questions I know the answers to:

1) How is Bani? Is there anything interested to do around there? I am going to be here for 3 weeks, and I do not want to bored! LOL

There are some famous sand dunes around bani. And the naval installation.

2) How far is Bani to Santo Domingo? How much its it to grab a taxi from Bani to Santo Domingo? Are there any good beaches in Santo Domingo?

By bus, it is about 2 hours. The road from Bani to San Cristobal is under heavy construction and transit is quite slow on that 40 km stretch.
Taxi Bani - SD would cost you about 2000 pesos, or 60 dollars, and up. A bus would cost you about 100-150 pesos / 3-5 US dollars.

There are some beaches around Bani, but I don't know if they are good. You can certainly swim there, but I don't know the conditions.

It should be OK, even though the hurricane season would about to begin at that time of year. But you will have mostly dry weather, 80-90 degrees F.

Yes they mostly are. Just eb a nice person yoruself and you will be received well.

6) We are probably going to spend 2 weeks in His family house, and 1 week in a resort; we do not know yet. But are there any good resorts around Bani? Or perhaps Santo Domingo? or any place else.

In Bani, there are no resorts nearby. the nearest resorts would be in Boca Chica and Juan Dolio, east of Santo Domingo, about 3 hour drive from Bani to the east. There is a resort in Barahona, to the west, about 2 hours drive.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Playa Salinas near Ban? is an OK beach area, and I believe there is a medium-sized hotel (resort?) there.

The resort near Barahona (Barcel? Bahoruco) was closed last time I went past, has it reopened? Anyway there are a number of nice medium-sized hotels in that area.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Playa Salinas near Ban? is an OK beach area, and I believe there is a medium-sized hotel (resort?) there.

The resort near Barahona (Barcel? Bahoruco) was closed last time I went past, has it reopened? Anyway there are a number of nice medium-sized hotels in that area.

Playa Salinas is about 25 minutes by car. There is in fact a hotel there, I assume it is open. It was two years ago. It is a small AI hotel. The hotel is a few miles before Playa Salinas on your right. I do not know the name, but you will see it. The beach is empty on weekdays, but on Sunday it is mobbed with Dominican Familys. There is a large restaurant at the beach. I do not recommend it though. But it is the only game in town, so to speak.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The beach itself is OK: one side is calm, but you have to watch for sea-urchins, and the other is wavier and is used by wind and kite-surfers.

It might have been bad timing, but last time we were there was two years ago and the stacks of litter made us turn on our heels and leave. We haven't been back since.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Bani

Feb 11, 2008
The beach itself is OK: one side is calm, but you have to watch for sea-urchins, and the other is wavier and is used by wind and kite-surfers.

It might have been bad timing, but last time we were there was two years ago and the stacks of litter made us turn on our heels and leave. We haven't been back since.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Wow! Are you serious? Has anybody went to this beach lately and are they still litter? From the picture, this beach is very different from the beaches I have seen of Dominican Republic over the internet. The sand is not even white.

Is the water clear blue? I can't tell from the picture.

Wow, this beach reminds me of the beaches in New York City; there are so dirty and you do not want to know what I have found in the sand and in the water!

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Are the people of the Dominican Republic "people friendly"?

As someone who has been traveling to the Dominican Republic for the past 19 years, I can enthusiastically tell you that the people of the Dominican Republic are amongst the friendliest, most hospitable, and full of life people that you will ever meet.
You can see some of that "spirit" in my "People of the Dominican Republic Photo Gallery" at this link People of the Dominican Republic.
It is the number one reason why I keep returning.
You will have a great time.

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
My family is from Bani i've traveled here my whole life and I'm 21, I live here now so I think I could help

theres at lot of clubs and they are good, lots of difff parties, lots of poeople, theres diff types of environments like bar/club type of places but they are all very good, there are many restaurants whwich are all VERY GOOD.. La Fogata is 1 also Happy Grille... very good food. theres salinas, you can go swim, tan, snorkel, ride a yacht/boat/yola .. theres los almendros which I wouldnt recommend gettin into but it is beautiful .. theres a spot in the almendros that have something called el cachon, its basically like a huge hole with water in it.. very cold.. very clear.. very beautiful...theres lots of women here which is veryyyyyyy good lol

bani i s about an hour from santo domingo.. more or less.... u can take an ASOMIBA bus for 75 pesos with AC from bani to santo domingo, you can get off at any stop on the way to or from santo domingo

those pics of salinas are somewhat precise, a lot of ppl go there and they d ont maintain it very well but it is the best i love it. the water isnt BLUeE like the movies .. but if u mean bein able to see yourself whn ur in the water. then yes is clear...i snorkel there like 1every2weeks it is beautiful and my bf and hs friends have a harpoon and always go home with tonsssssssss of free fish

it is annoyingly, HOTTTTTTTTTt .. extremely hot and umid. beyond your wildest dreams lol... its good beach weather tho lol.......

well ill tell you the truth.... most.. if not all... love feeding off americans.. especially girls with american boys.........but they are all fun and dandy and will go everywhere n take u everwhere but .. u will be paying.........besides all that they all are friendly.

ive never been so idk but i have heard the best are in Sosua and PuntaCana and tehre are buses that take you there but it is a long drive n a bit of a hassle its really up to u