malaria?

rclinkerbell

Feb 10, 2008
Do you think we need to take malaria med for a one week visit? Feb. 14th - 22nd? We will visit SD and POP.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
just had a friend told by a travel agent in canada not to visit dr due to high occurence of malaria!! that is the first i have heard of this..does anyone know if there has been an outbreak anywhere on the island

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
just had a friend told by a travel agent in canada not to visit dr due to high occurence of malaria!! that is the first i have heard of this..does anyone know if there has been an outbreak anywhere on the island
Nope. None. Nada. Drek.
But if you really want to find some, Haiti's the place to go.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Rumor

There have been some warnings on Canadian radio in the last few weeks and also a CTV news special warning of an increase of malaria in canadians that visited the Dom Rep in the last year.

Taking precautions can never hurt but telling people not to go to the D.R. is going overboard I would think.

As far I can see there are no new travel health advisory warnings on any of the websites that provide this info. I am sure that the news is just trying to make a big story out of something insignificant.

Sangria

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There have been some warnings on Canadian radio in the last few weeks and also a CTV news special warning of an increase of malaria in canadians that visited the Dom Rep in the last year.

Taking precautions can never hurt but telling people not to go to the D.R. is going overboard I would think.

As far I can see there are no new travel health advisory warnings on any of the websites that provide this info. I am sure that the news is just trying to make a big story out of something insignificant.

Sangria
It makes me ashamed to be a Canadian.
Throughout the years, we have heard of a few (note the word few) cases of malaria in Punta Cana and/or Haitian border towns.
Malaria cases have been proportionately rarer than winning the lottery.
The Canadian government has been notorious for issuing idiotic unfounded Malaria warnings for the DR, across many years.
Where we live, we have never heard of a single case of Malaria, not a single one.
Perhaps these travel advisories are a result of frozen Canadian brains.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Not afraid

Its because there is nothing else to report on except how much snow we have and that we are about to get another storm.

Everybody is trying like crazy to get out of here & go somewhere warm.

The goverment probably wants to scare people into staying here & spending their money on canadian goods.

I for one won't fall for it (hahaha)...only 2 weeks left until I have 1 month in the sunny DR.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Us

Do you think we need to take malaria med for a one week visit? Feb. 14th - 22nd? We will visit SD and POP.

i just moved here 4 months ago or so & went through a whole health consultation in the states for travellers abroad. We got many vaccinations but when we discussed malaria there have been very few instances in the DR and, as Rocky said, mostly close to the haitian border with one occurence in punta cana a few years back with a couple of canadians i believe.

anyway, the conclusion from the doctor was that we could take the medicine with us if we wanted, but the risks of taking the medicine for malaria prevention probably were larger than the malaria risk in the DR...and we were moving here not just vacationing. Thus we opted to forego the med's. Again, this was a few months ago.

d

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Friends of mine are going to Punta Cana this week. They were told of Malaria cases in 2 hotels there by travel agent and were told to get Malaria treatments before they go to DR. I laughed at her and said no way unless you are going swimming in dirty water, etc. Then last night on CTV they had a special report on Malaria in the DR. Unreal.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I agree with you Rocky! Firstly, propective travellers have to learn to ignore "media hype"...and someone is obviously getting some kickbacks from the drug companies because the malaria prophylaxis is far from cheap. ( I paid around $15/per tablet ...no, it wasnt for a trip to the DR lol;)).

I always find this amusing when TA's warn of some isolated cases...unless there is an outbreak of epidemic proportions, relax people! And who knows what unknown diseases some travellers are roaming around with.......

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Lucky You!! 20+Trips

Health Canada has a Level 1 advisory apparently 1 person got malaria, of the over 3 million people who visit the DR.
It is a level 1 warning, recommendation only.
Best ask your doctor and do what he tells you.

In 20+ trips I have never taken any meds.

Well you are very Lucky Hlywud, on our third trip my daughter got dengue fever, i was afraid for her life...
from what i was told is similar to malaria, and i actually contemplated Insurance,thank God i went to AMA (the day before we left and spent that extra $35 for her Insurance, otherwise i'm thinking i would have been out several dollars..

The day she fell ill we thought it was the flu or Gripa they call it, the second day she collapsed in the bathroom with 104 fever...called AMA they had a cab within 5 minutes in the lobby, took her to the nearest hospital,they did blood work immediately, she was put on a drip to prevent dehydration, not only that it's a waiting game, after her first fever subsided, was the scary part, they said if the second fever is not controlled or takes a turn she could die...I didnt even know what to do with myself...imagine being told that about you 16 year old? after the second fever went away, everyone was so happy and relieved. I dont care what anyone says, twinrix vaccine i think is a must!

A

apostropheman

While of course I'm happy for both you and your daughter I'm a tad confused as to what the Twinrix, Hep A&B, vaccine has to do with either Dengue Fever or Malaria
Home - Twinrix
I don't believe that there is a vaccine for Malaria or Dengue...:paranoid: (or that Twinrix offers any vaccine other than for Hepatitis).

Well you are very Lucky Hlywud, on our third trip my daughter got dengue fever, i was afraid for her life...

I dont care what anyone says, twinrix vaccine i think is a must!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
sorry that was me blurting out... of course twinrix has nothing to do with dengue fever or malaria, but it is the most advertised for "travel medication"or prevention is what i mean.
there's commercials on tv advertising how and why you should get it, and thats really the only thing i thought i needed!!

i just know allot of travellers by pass the measures they should be taking such as twinrix & Insuarance, i just wouldnt reccomend it from my experiences.

hope that make a tad bit more sense, having a rough day!! maybe i should sleep!

A

apostropheman

Thanks Lapurr,

That makes total sense and I agree. I always have travel insurance and I had all 3 courses of the Twinrix vaccine before my first trip to the DR. :D

Sorry you're having a rough day. Time for a glass of wine and a few minutes of peace perhaps? (Then sleep :))

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Perhaps the controller can edit that out as reading it now does not sit in the proper context.

thank you,

" I dont care what anyone says, twinrix vaccine i think is a must!
hank you"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Perhaps the controller can edit that out as reading it now does not sit in the proper context.

thank you,

" I dont care what anyone says, twinrix vaccine i think is a must!
hank you"
Travel insurance and taking normal precautions to protect one's health, are also essential.

The original post was about malaria, and then we move into hep a & B, and dengue fever.

Travel insurance and taking normal precautions to protect one's health is essential, I totally agree with Rocky. My comment was that in 20 + trips I have never taken any meds, lucky quite possibly very lucky but I do not intend to take any anti malaria drugs.

Dengue fever is another issue all together, I feel sorry that your daughter got it, it is a very dangerous fever for which there is apparently no medications to counteract the virus.
Dengue Fever Fact Sheet - CDC Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases (DVBID)
No dengue vaccine is available. Recently, however, attenuated candidate vaccine viruses have been developed. Efficacy trials in human volunteers have yet to be initiated. Research is also being conducted to develop second-generation recombinant vaccine viruses. Therefore, an effective dengue vaccine for public use will not be available for 5 to 10 years.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
The original post was about malaria, and then we move into hep a & B, and dengue fever.

Travel insurance and taking normal precautions to protect one's health is essential, I totally agree with Rocky. My comment was that in 20 + trips I have never taken any meds, lucky quite possibly very lucky but I do not intend to take any anti malaria drugs.

Dengue fever is another issue all together, I feel sorry that your daughter got it, it is a very dangerous fever for which there is apparently no medications to counteract the virus.
Dengue Fever Fact Sheet - CDC Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases (DVBID)
No dengue vaccine is available. Recently, however, attenuated candidate vaccine viruses have been developed. Efficacy trials in human volunteers have yet to be initiated. Research is also being conducted to develop second-generation recombinant vaccine viruses. Therefore, an effective dengue vaccine for public use will not be available for 5 to 10 years.

Thank You Hlywud, For the link

That is one page i havent seen, i knew there was no vaccine to prevent this, although i did not know there was one in the making! that is very good news for future travellers and for everyone that is in danger of getting bitten from a Mosquito, I hope this immunization will be avaiable to everyone living in the DR, although 5-10 years seems so far away.
I didnt know how serious it was until we came home, I didnt even know what it was to be honest.