buying a gift?

MarkGrandy

Feb 22, 2005
Hi guys!

I have been dating over three months one dominican girl, and I thought it was a serious relationship. One day she said to me, that I should buy her a new cameraphone. She insists and insists, and it made me really sad and angry. It makes me feel that she was with me only because she wants to benefit about me. It makes me feel that putas are more fair because they say before act, how much it cost, not afterwards.
But now I also got second thought myself, if this is some kind of local tradition that man should buy gifts for a woman he is in love with ?
Please tell me what I should do ? Buy a phone or leave this "puta"?
(this is not matter of money, but principle!)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Break up with her. She's using you. No question.

Yep, but if the honey is sweet, pay up if you think she is worth the ride.

A puta is going to cost you anyway. Just don't fall in love.

My two cents!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a global, not local tradition for people to buy gifts for the people they fall in love with, sure. But this should be voluntary, not obligatory. She does not sound like a good person.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only thing that surprises me is why it took so long for her to ask?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Where did you meet her?
2) Where does she work?
3) Where does/did she go to school
4) When will she come and visit you, in the States or Canada or Europe??
5) Describe your first two dates (not all the details.

Then i can tell you a few facts...

HB

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
3 months???????? I got a camera phone for her sitting right infront of me and it will only cost a weekend of her time. (Depending on looks)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
3 months???????? I got a camera phone for her sitting right infront of me and it will only cost a weekend of her time. (Depending on looks)

You very bad man Jumbo, I only got a few hours for an iPhone, you must be one of those athletic guys. What is your secret?

MarkGrandy

Feb 22, 2005
It seems that my first reaction was right!

It is very confusing when someone wants to risk a good relationship with good, wealthy, loving, etc. man only because of 100$ phone! Being more patient would be much profitable! Now she lost her lifetime revenue, etc.

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Someone asks for a small gift after more than 3 months of dating and you think she is a whore? Good God .......... Was she allowed to order a second Pepsi when you went out for dinner or was that off limits, too? Maybe she was allowed to drink only water.

The OP describes himself as "weathy" so why wouldn't someone who dated you for over 3 months and saw your "wealth" daily not have a short list of "wants"? Her list had ONE item on it, and I don't find her request shocking.

I pity any Dominican who dates a reader of DR1.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
oceanbound said:
You might just envy mine, because he hasn't got a wife who demands gifts like a spoilt child. :)

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Someone asks for a small gift after more than 3 months of dating and you think she is a whore? Good God .......... Was she allowed to order a second Pepsi when you went out for dinner or was that off limits, too? Maybe she was allowed to drink only water.

The OP describes himself as "weathy" so why wouldn't someone who dated you for over 3 months and saw your "wealth" daily not have a short list of "wants"? Her list had ONE item on it, and I don't find her request shocking.

I tend to agree...after 3 mths perhaps she thought that their relationship was going somewhere and she felt at ease to simply ask for it ( that damn mentality about all gringos being rich does play a role )...A gringa/english rose/kanuck would do it in a subtle way, yet the result ( little difference in the amounts in the end ) would always be the same...ask the men married to morenas

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The way I read the OP is that as she was 'insisting and insisting' she was somehow making this small gift a condition of their continued relationship, and that had she been less strident she would have got all that and more.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
The way I read the OP is that as she was 'insisting and insisting' she was somehow making this small gift a condition of their continued relationship, and that had she been less strident she would have got all that and more.

there're 3 side to each story - her's, his & the truth...and nobody is lying

MarkGrandy

Feb 22, 2005

You see my point!

100$ phone is not a problem, if someone says "Hey, look how nice phone there is for a sale, I wish I could have money for it..."

but what I heard, was "I need a new phone, You have to buy me one, because I have been Your girlfriend....."

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I donno, but in the end it's all about how you really feel about the relationship...as a newbie I started with the DR1'ers experiences...the "Maria scale" was most helpful ( was it Marco that posted that ? )...Most ppl that are getting into DR relationships are too scared ( overly cautios ) 'cause of their "home" failures that they're overreacting...I've been with a SD chica ( age 31 ) for over 6 months..she never asked for anything, yet after 6 mths I had to end it, her emotional age was 14...I am now with a younger one ( getting married this Mon ) that did ask me for things ( the very fist time I asked her and she wanted a diabetic test kit for the abuela ) yet true, not "insisting"...more along the lines "could I please have that when you come back next?" Once she asked for a camera, she got it, then one month she dropped it while on a motoc-I told her something along the lines "tough luck, you're not getting another one, you have to be more careful/appreciative with your gifts"...We're all different ( levels of tolerance/perception etc ) so since 3 mths passed by without any requests, perhaps you could ask yourself some questions...If I were you I would really consider hillbilly's offer...either here or via a PM...Good Luck !

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like you almost found the all allusive good girl, to me. Meanwhile, if she,s a puta ???????? Let me see my calculater, mmmmm, 3 months = 90 days + 3 = 93 days. Comes to a whopping one dollar and 8 cents a day.

Now, let me see, what I can buy for that much money ( principle wise ), a bottle of pepsi, Mmmmm , NO ?????? Again, where is AZB, when I need him, I think by his strick standards, you might be a little bit on the thrifty side ??????????????????

My good friend, next time you go to DR, I want to hang out with U. ( THE MAN )
If not for observation purposes only........

I am absolutely sure, whether you give her that PHONE, or not, she won't be sitting around with her puta girl friends, bragging !!!!!!!!!!!!! And my advice, is, don't burn that bridge, until you have found a better replacement, and still don't burn that bridge, because she must have some sort of feelings, whatever they might be, for
you. All I'm saying, is hold onto your heart, like you do your money, and you'll be A-OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. NOT MAD , JUST JEALOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!