Cell phone rental

tiacovelli

Sep 23, 2007
Does anyone know if you can rent a (or purchase an inexpensive) cell phone at the Punta Cana airport?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The words "airport" and "inexpensive" seldom go hand in hand. Perhaps you would be better off waiting to look in perhaps Cortecito, but I would imagine that cell phones may be a hard commodity to come by since the Bavaro area is more tourist-oriented.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
I purchased a SIM card for pre-paid service at Orange at Fruisa which is down the road from Cortecito. They might have pre-paid cell phones if yours does not accept a SIM card from Orange.

E.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If you tell us where you will be staying, we can give you a better idea of the distance to Cortecito (which happens to be in the Bavaro area, yes).

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Plaza Bavaro is a short distance away from your resort and can easily be reached on foot. There is likely a place there where they would be available.
Another option to consider is getting your own cell phone unlocked and therefore you can just purchase the chip down there from a local service provider and put minutes onto your phone. Also, the chips are good for 3 months I believe in the event that you wish to return in this time frame.

Good luck!