HIV/AIDs Testing

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
I'm sorry for the doule post but how much should one expect to pay for a visit/testing/check-up/whatever? thanks.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dang dude, you're just going downhill in The DR...

Anyhow, not sure how much it costs, but I would think pretty much any lab or clinic should be able to do it.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
hahahaha no it's not even like that I just like to get checked every 3 months, I have to take care of myself just like everyone else should, you know what I mean?

J

John Evans

an aids test every 3 months would be a little excessive

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HIV test will cost you around RD$400-600 depending on the lag/clinic. Condoms are cheaper :)

Other specific STD tests are priced based on complexity of the test.

Laboratorio Referencia have a lab in Santiago and offer the results online.
Note: You cannot get HIV results online as you need to sign paperwork etc to get the test done. You need to go in person to get the results.

Laboratorio de Referencia

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
John,
It's probably not wrong to get tested that often if you're sexually active with multiple partners; and should one test positive, the better it is for you and any potential partners to know early. For what it's worth, keep in mind aguak is a pre-med student & that may make him more in tune with testing and preventive measures.

But... hopefully it's overkill.

aguak, regardless of testing frequency do all you can so you don't get bad news. I have a friend in the u.s. who tested positive about 18 months ago. I know that he and all of his friends/family wish he'd have been more careful. Testing doesn't undo a moment of poor decision making.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
John,
It's probably not wrong to get tested that often if you're sexually active with multiple partners; and should one test positive, the better it is for you and any potential partners to know early. For what it's worth, keep in mind aguak is a pre-med student & that may make him more in tune with testing and preventive measures.

But... hopefully it's overkill.

aguak, regardless of testing frequency do all you can so you don't get bad news. I have a friend in the u.s. who tested positive about 18 months ago. I know that he and all of his friends/family wish he'd have been more careful. Testing doesn't undo a moment of poor decision making.

"Pre med student"...wow, and he is that smart to be having unprotected sex with multiple partners???? :tired:

Sorry but its not that hard to go to med school.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
"Pre med student"...wow, and he is that smart to be having unprotected sex with multiple partners???? :tired:

Not sure why I'm defending him, but can you point out where he said that?

From the web (thebody.com):
"If the condom is latex, does not break, tear, or slip off, and it is used correctly throughout sexual intercourse, it should be 99% effective in preventing HIV transmission and many STDs." Even protected sex has it's risk, reduced risk - but not risk free.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Not sure why I'm defending him, but can you point out where he said that?

From the web (thebody.com):
"If the condom is latex, does not break, tear, or slip off, and it is used correctly throughout sexual intercourse, it should be 99% effective in preventing HIV transmission and many STDs." Even protected sex has it's risk, reduced risk - but not risk free.

Well on assumption...who would get tested every 3 months without reason?? Again, just an assumption!

Yes, the manufacturers stats are what they are but why is it that people think they will never fall into that 1% category?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Watch out for the HIV/STD police...

Drloca: While we appreciate your concern for people's health, I think you should also consider that everyone posting here is an adult and preaching about condom use is not going to make them wear it any more they already do or don't.

Condoms are very easy to come by in The DR. They give them away for free at the local health clinics, you get them for "free" if you visit the Cabana, you can go to the nearest pharmacy, supermarket, etc and buy them...so whoever doesn't already wear them it's because they don't care to do so...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Watch out for the HIV/STD police...

Drloca: While we appreciate your concern for people's health, I think you should also consider that everyone posting here is an adult and preaching about condom use is not going to make them wear it any more they already do or don't.

Condoms are very easy to come by in The DR. They give them away for free at the local health clinics, you get them for "free" if you visit the Cabana, you can go to the nearest pharmacy, supermarket, etc and buy them...so whoever doesn't already wear them it's because they don't care to do so...

Sorry but I dont care about anyones health...other than my own!

No, I am not selfish by that statement... if everyone posting here are in fact adults, let them make whatever decisions they wish (informed or uninformed)...and deal with the consequences.

Have you ever worked with AIDS patients?

Also, I dont think this post is about the global availability of condoms .;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm...If you don't care about anyone's health,why do you keep "preaching" about the use of condoms? (not just in this thread but in the other one as well)...I think you do care...which is a good thing.

I've never "worked" with people with AIDS, but I have known several people who have died from it (including a friend who grew up in our home and was like my brother) so YES I do know how terrible the disease can be. Even worse is seeing your friend die because he was born poor and didn't have the money to get the retroviral medicines they now offer...

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
OP, get tested as often as you like. it is a responsible thing to do for yourself and particularly for those around you. And whether it is every three months or three days, you are taking the initiative, spending the time and money, and that should be commended. Ican?t say with any degree of certainty, but I am pretty sure that many STD?s/diseases have been passed on simply due to lack of knowledge on the part of the carrier. Good job.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
My first time was unprotected, that was a while ago. I never had unprotected sex after that. I always use a condom, but they have broken on me before. I get tested because I trully believe it is my responsibility to do so as a sexually active person. Everyone should do the same, because condoms are NOT 100% effective.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
You have been on the forum since May, 2007 and state you like to get tested every 3 months. Where did you go last time? Methinks this is just another way to brag to everyone that you do have sex. I think you might need psychological testing rather than medical testing. Grow up! Medical student, indeed.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A med student that can't find this info through his teachers or other students in the medical field? Maybe he is shy. Anyway when someone is taking an AIDS/HIV test every 3 months, well maybe, just maybe you are hanging around with the wrong pool of women who are in a high risk population.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
A med student that can't find this info through his teachers or other students in the medical field? Maybe he is shy. Anyway when someone is taking an AIDS/HIV test every 3 months, well maybe, just maybe you are hanging around with the wrong pool of women who are in a high risk population.

And to seek this info on a public forum...maybe attention-seeking?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
OK, I?m curious...Where would be a better place for an expat to ask for info on blood testing/pricing, AIDS testing in Santiago? A gossipy neighbor? Motoconcho? Future ex- girlfriend? I think this forum is an aprropriate place to ask advice on where, what, how, when and why in the D.R., and that definitely includes medical services. Geez, giving a guy a hard time about getting checked out is a bit like ridiculing for use of a seat belt.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have no problem with people asking for information, but I am a fan of people using some of their grey matter....you know like being a little self sufficient. The aquaman has indicated that he studies at PUCAMAIMA as a med student, need I say more.