What documents will I need to open an account at Banco Reservas?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I am a US citizen moving to the Dominican Republic. What documents other than my passport do I need to open a savings or checking account at Banco Reservas? I went into one of their branches two weeks ago in the NACO neighborhood near the Clarion Hotel and I was impressed with their professionalism and I know my funds will be protected by the Domincan government like FICA here in the USA. I do not know if checking accounts are as prevalent in the DR like the USA. Maybe I should stick with a savings account if I can get a debit card with a VISA logo on it. Or does Banco Popular have the savings account debit card with the VISA logo on it?

Feb 7, 2007
Banco Leon has VISA debit card to their checking and savings accounts. They also have VISA prepaid card. The card is not embossed, but does have a CVC code and can be used for online and MO/TO purchases. Works fine even to set up ebay and paypal accounts. With Internet banking you can see all transactions at the moment they are made.

Banco BHD also has a VISA debit card, not sure whether to checking/savings/or both.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
When I opened my account at Banco Reserves all I needed was a passport, which they copied, then sent to their head office to do a check......went back 2 weeks later and opened an account.....min deposit in pesos is 500rd and for US its 300.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
It depends. I beleive there is a questionaire regarding your opinions on local garbage pickup that you must complete first.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A letter from your bank and a letter from a local reference

Unless things have changed. No wait if you have these you can open it right away.

J

John Evans

and a copy of your statements if you are transferring money...which show the money in your account and coming out of your account.
But I would ask the bank to make sure what you need- err why didnt you ask by the way

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
It depends. I beleive there is a questionaire regarding your opinions on local garbage pickup that you must complete first.

I will look at several neighborhoods and decide which one is nicest for me in Santo Domingo. I just cannot wait to get away from the USA, no matter how clean it is here.