residency cost : prohibitive ?

baztripot

Dec 4, 2007
after reading the forums, I contacted the recommended law firm in order to process my residency application, I received an email that explained the whole process and the cost, and I'm seriously asking myself if it's really worth it.
for a family of 3, the cost comes close to 10,000$US just to get the freaking residency permit. that includes travel and hotel 3 times (1 for medical, 1 to receive the provisional card , 1 to actually move) , the lawyer fees and taxes to the government. plus after six months you need to pay again to get the permanet residency.
10,000$US is a LOT of money in the DR, most people don't even make half of that in a year. to be paying that just to get the residency doesn't make any sense. plus you will need to pay for renewal every 2 years.

it really seems to me more like a system to make as much money as possible of foreigners. if we're bringing money into the country, we're buying real estate, some are opening businesses. to think they would have made things easier ....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have been here for two years and still don't have my residency. That being said I am working on it slowly and surely, but believe me it can be done for less than US500(if I remember correctly). Just do it yourself and I and others here will certainly help you out

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
that includes travel and hotel 3 times (1 for medical, 1 to receive the provisional card , 1 to actually move) , the lawyer fees and taxes to the government.

Travel from where? Are you asking the Lawyer to make travel arrangements and hotel bookings for you? You can take the bus and sleep over more cheaply if you have to sleep over.

If you can speak and read and write Spanish and follow simple instructions and get sets of paperwork together, you can certainly do it yourself.

plus after six months you need to pay again to get the permanet residency.

What are you going to pay 10,000 bucks for. At the most for 3 of you, it should be in the region of 6,000 on the very high end. There is something included in this cost that you're not telling us.

10,000$US is a LOT of money in the DR, most people don't even make half of that in a year. to be paying that just to get the residency doesn't make any sense.

Yes, it does make sense. You are asking a new country to accept you as a permanent guest on their soil. I do not understand the 10,000 but as far as residency requirements go, the DR is cheaper than the US or the UK or any other Caribbean country that I know of.

plus you will need to pay for renewal every 2 years.

This is a small amount as by this time you can do it yourself.

Are you sure you want to get residency in the DR?

baztripot

Dec 4, 2007
the travelling is from canada, so taking the bus is not really an option. for 3 people, that's about 1500$ each time, unless we find some crazy flight deal. that's the average price to get to DR. plus hotel stay each time.

the lawyer wants about 2000$ for each of us (for the provisional and the permanent card) , that's already about 10,500$US. the fees I got from the lawyer don't give any details regarding what's government fees and what they charge for their service.
so it's hard to tell if it's the lawyer that's outrageously expensive or the system itself.

the residency might be cheaper in term of the residency fees, but the way it's done with all the coming and going back and forth, the total cost can be way more than other places.

baztripot

Dec 4, 2007
I thought it would be easier to get there all legal papers in order. but I think i should probably get there first.

thanks for all the input.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Definately wait until you get here! It is no big deal at all. You can get it done profesionally for much less then that. You can do it yourself too if you are so inclined but it is a hassle. Depends on your tolerance for waiting and frustration.....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
the lawyer wants about 2000$ for each of us (for the provisional and the permanent card) , that's already about 10,500$US. the fees I got from the lawyer don't give any details regarding what's government fees and what they charge for their service.
so it's hard to tell if it's the lawyer that's outrageously expensive or the system itself.

No way should you do this from Canada! In the DR for residence, it's 'move in' first and then 'pay the piper'. You can negotiate with your lawyer a little, or you can find a cheaper reliable lawyer or you can do the paperwork yourself but only if you have good Spanish. If not, pay a lawyer.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Chris,
My ignorance may be showing (wouldn't be the first time). And if someone knows the following not to be true, I'm more than willing to become more educated on the issue.

Taiwan Consulate Consulate-General of the Dominican Republic Bangkok Thailand (scan down to Residency Visa) states "The Ministry recommends that the process be begun prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country."

Based on that website, it appears almost everything can be done thru the foreign consulate without setting foot in DR, even medical certification can be obtained in current country of residency. Documents have to be legalized by the consulate, but I've had that done on other things and it's basically hand over the documents and some money & they stamp/legalize things while you wait. That particular website at least makes it appear to be almost a do-it-yourself prospect.

Yes, I know... not even close to everything you read on a Dominican government website can be believed, but maybe it's worth a phone call or trip to one of the consulates in Canada to find out?

If anyone has tried that route, I'd be curious to know if they were successful.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chris,
My ignorance may be showing (wouldn't be the first time). And if someone knows the following not to be true, I'm more than willing to become more educated on the issue.

Taiwan Consulate Consulate-General of the Dominican Republic Bangkok Thailand (scan down to Residency Visa) states "The Ministry recommends that the process be begun prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country."

Based on that website, it appears almost everything can be done thru the foreign consulate without setting foot in DR, even medical certification can be obtained in current country of residency. Documents have to be legalized by the consulate, but I've had that done on other things and it's basically hand over the documents and some money & they stamp/legalize things while you wait. That particular website at least makes it appear to be almost a do-it-yourself prospect.

Yes, I know... not even close to everything you read on a Dominican government website can be believed, but maybe it's worth a phone call or trip to one of the consulates in Canada to find out?

If anyone has tried that route, I'd be curious to know if they were successful.

The point isn't if one can do it from abroad, but why would they want to and pay so much money when it can be done here much more cheaply? Don't pay any attention to what the consulate "recommends" because they just want the fees that are generated. The fact is there are people that lived here illegally without residence for many years and never had a problem. Furthermore, how many people come here and overstay their tourist visa only to have to pay a small fine upon leaving? It isn't a big deal.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
The point isn't if one can do it from abroad, but why would they want to and pay so much money when it can be done here much more cheaply? Don't pay any attention to what the consulate "recommends" because they just want the fees that are generated. The fact is there are people that lived here illegally without residence for many years and never had a problem. Furthermore, how many people come here and overstay their tourist visa only to have to pay a small fine upon leaving? It isn't a big deal.

I Agree. Save it for once you are settled in. You'll surely have a lot on your plate as it is, planning to move and all.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Chip,
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm suggesting do-it-yourself without leaving home, the website I referenced indicates minimal documentation required. As I've understood when done here in DR, the required trips to the capital are for the medical tests & to have photos taken. If, as indicated on the consular site it can be done in your country of origin without trips to DR, and it would appear without paying an attorney for assistance - which I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) is mostly for handholding during the process...

I have the documents for a business visa (1 year renewable) from the Miami consulate & they indicated I could do it from there & it would take about 2 weeks to process. Requirements are essentially the same... valid passport, medical, police good conduct, 2 passport type fotos, and they gave me the basic documentation to fill out. I just haven't done it yet.

That said, I have travelled / lived here off & on since 2000 on a tourist visa. Either business or residence visa will be next, probably this year so that I'm technically legal while here.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had at least attempted to do it from abroad - without any trips to DR other than one to the capital to pick up their visa. Again, I know it may not actually be possible.

ps: to be clear, i don't know that this is possible to do, i don't want to pass on poor information - it's an inquiry from me

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You know, I'm going to try to make a joke here. Knowing the DR's red tape, I'm wondering if an 'outside job' will even be recognized 'inside'. LOL
Someone may have done it but I've not heard of that person to find out how it went.

It is an easy process if you have everything ready. And if you don't have money to pay for it, it is perhaps better you stay in your home country and make a little money first?

baztripot

Dec 4, 2007
the DR consulate in Canada told me I cannot start the process here, I have to do it in DR.
the only problemnow is that until I have a visa, will I be able to bring my stuff (car and furniture) ? or will they just charge me for everything ?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmmm. I went into the Embassy in Ottawa and wanted to enquire about getting a work permit/visa/residency. They kind shrugged me off, and told me to just go, look for work, and when I had an offer, I could get residency - which wasn't the case. I saw the guy who I talked having a cigarette about a minute after I left - I think he just rushed me because he was nickin'. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way to get things sorted out from Canada, but they probably advise not to do it, because it means more work for them.

Could there be anyway to have the stuff shipped to a friend that is a resident "for their home"? At least you can probably bring the furniture on a lower tarif, and then worry about the residency later (not really much to worry about.) But the car, I'm pretty sure that all cars pay a high duty now. Even for a non-profit organization they charged us an insane tarif - residency might not make a difference, perhaps bringing it for someone else could be a way around this too.

baztripot

Dec 4, 2007
that is probably what I'm going to do. selling my stuff here and buying again in DR is gonna cost me much more than than the tarif they are going to charge me. especially for the car.
the lawyer did tell me that once you get the residency, you can bring your personal stuff (including vehicle) duty free. but then again there's no garantee that would realy be the case.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
the lawyer did tell me that once you get the residency, you can bring your personal stuff (including vehicle) duty free. but then again there's no garantee that would realy be the case.
That doesn't sound right - there are exonerations in some circumstances, but not for all residents.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
especially for the car.

Perhaps....are you retiring here?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With references to bringing household items and even a car to the US to the DR duty free, when we did the move in 2006 we were informed by the moving company in Santo domingo that this was not true. However, recently in the last two months, somebody pointed out that this requirement had changed and that now, residents could bring things duty free. I can't remember the thread but it is worth doing a search of DR1 and see what comes up.

As far as being able to get a permanent residency from abroad, I assume if the consultate says it is possible it must be. Nonetheless, if one decides to get it here in the DR, it wil be a good idea to get a copy of the birth certificate legalized at the local Domincan Consulate before coming here.

good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Total bull doo-doo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Get here, take your time, make some friends, take your time, get some of the forms to fill out, take your time, ==> Get the picture??

Now, take a deep breath.

No way you need to shell out that kind of money for your residency. If you do it yourself, like so many have suggested, Maybe, Maybe you'll spend a few hundred....like Chip said, $500...

Tell the lawyer to take a hike!

HB