travel dr to canada

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
i would like to know if anyone has information on what is required for a dominican to travel to canada for a visit.
is a visa required and if so how does one go about getting one and the cost.
thank you

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
visa

This question has been asked many times, do a search!!!! or go to Canada's Immigration website. You'll find all the information you need.

cosoyoos

Jun 5, 2008
dominicans visiting canada

Hi everyone this is my first post,although I have been reading on DR1 for a few years now regarding Dominicans visiting/moving to Canada I still can't seem to understand what the difficulty is all about for Dominicans visiting here.
Does it lie with Canadain Immigration or Dominican If it's with the Dominican Embassy why would they make it so difficult or even deny them to travel/move to a country where they could a have a better life.
For a country that is so overpopulated and poor one would think they would want to make it easier to help there people.

If it's Canada what are they doing ? We are in one the biggest labour shortages ever,businesses can't even operate full scale they need unskilled labourers like yesterday
I have travelled many time's to the Dr and it is a beautiful country with some of the nicest people I have met anywhere's but the reality is it's people are struggling if they can't improve the process to travel/move at least do something to improve the quality of life (like maybe get on the Hotels that employ so many to pay them for what they are worth )we stay at the AIs and have made very good friends there,when they tell me what they get for a days work ( and they certainly work hard for every penny )It's appaulling especially when you consider how much each guest has paid to stay there. They're literally raking in thousands & thousands a day

There really is something wrong this picture is there anything we can do ?

Thanks for listening and any input to help me understand what's going on would be appreciated

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
It is Canada that restricts the people from coming. The DR is only 1 of many countries that have high restrictions imposed.

The reason is that we live in a land of opportunity and many times when people come to "visit"...they never leave. This makes the government more strict on who they let in as they don't want to be responsible for these people when they don't go home, have no skills or are not fluent in english & can't support themselves.

Also, a tourist visa is not a work visa & therefore doesn't have anything to do with western canada's labour shortage.

I personally know of a company near Kingston, ON that recently was in Puerto Plata interviewing for Chefs to bring to Canada for the summer tourist season. They were first interviewed based on their qualifications & then interviewed by Immigration Canada to see if they qualify for the work visa.

I believe Alberta has a similar program & another poster discussed it awhile back.

My point here is that it is not easy to come to Canada but it is possible if people meet the requirements & have the qualifications necessary to be approved.

As for the hotels helping the people...I would guess that the profits aren't necessarily as good as we might think.

Considering the high number of people who travel to the DR on last minute ticket prices there is not a lot of profit left over.

A flight alone is approx. $800 - $1500 at regular price.

We can get a last minute package to include flight & hotel & airport transfer for around $500 - $1000 incl taxes depending on the season.

Leaving next week you can go for $187 plus $368 tax (toronto - puerto plata 1 week all incl)

Who is taking the loss? The airline or the hotel or the tour operator? I don't know the answer but someone is...if not all of them.

The DR still wants Canadian tourists to spend their money in the local economy buying tours & souveniers.

I don't think it is the hotel's responsiblity to fix the "poor" problem of the country. Compared to our standards, their wage & long hours are not acceptable but compared to people working in other industries in the DR, these hotel workers do alright for themselves....especially with the tips they make from their sankie activities.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Cosoyoos,
Not that I know statistics on labour shortages in Canada, but I do know that there is way too many businesses closing everyday, and way too many people on welfare in this country to justify bringing in people from other countries to work. It urks me to no end how lazy some our in our own country. They are just too lazy to work, thats the problem. They would rather sit on thier butts and collect money from the government.
I work at a large resort here in ON, and in the last few years , the company has brought in workers from other countries to do , what Im guessing a ****ty job, as they are not being filled by Canadians. We have had people from Bahamas, Jamaica, Bermuda, to mention a few.
I think its great that these people are willing to come over here to work and make some money to take home.........( it is strictly monitered, how long they can stay, and we ( the company), must make sure they go back). My problem is that, I ,as a tax payer, pays our lazy Canadains, to sit on their butts and collect welfare, when there are tons of jobs out there for them. Our own government has to crack down on this IMO.