I am f*cking fed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
With all the break-ins and thefts going on in Sosua, (Every Day) is there anyone who would be interested in contributing a few $$ towards placing a full page notice in Lisitin Diario to inform (As if he didn?t know) the President that residents and tourists are fed up with the incompetent way the police and ?justice system? are handling things? I am putting my $$ where my mouth is. If ?I don?t have the time? someone wants to take it on, my US$20.00 is on its way. What about you?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That bad, eh? I guess if it has got to you, it must be. What happened?
LOL. Nothing to me. At least rencently. In the past week, I know of 3 people who have had their homes broken into and $$ + laptops stolen. Also there have been several purse "or attempted" snatchings on the main street. The police says it's the system's fault. "Yea sure" they arrest people and the system let's them go. A tourist who is victim of a theft, will not press charges "Language, fear, won't be there for the trial etc." Result, the cops let them go the next day. At least in Santiago and Santo Domingo they kill the MF's but here on the North Coast, they walk.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The intent is great, but would it do any good?
Might it even cause damage?
If we make it sound so bad that the Pres. has to intervene, might it not scare the poop out of tourists?

I wasn't aware of all the break-ins and robberies, but will gladly toss some bux into a pot, if it's something I think will work, like setting up stings.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The intent is great, but would it do any good?
Might it even cause damage?
If we make it sound so bad that the Pres. has to intervene, might it not scare the poop out of tourists?

I wasn't aware of all the break-ins and robberies, but will gladly toss some bux into a pot, if it's something I think will work, like setting up stings.

I really can't see how it would do any damage. The President will have to act on it. (Especially with elections coming up) For the good cops in our area "Hope there are some" means they will be getting the resources "manpower and $$" to clean things up. For the bad cops a loss of revenue.
I think tourists being told not to leave the hotel and if they do, have their purses snatched or offered drugs on every street corner does a hell of a lot more damage.
Oh by the way, thanks for volunteering to handle the collection of the funds.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I would agree with Eddy

Miss-information (gossip) is worst than no information and I believe AIs use the former.

I believe it would be best if the facts were displayed for all to read. Over and over and over again.

These facts should also include the positive side, if there were any.

I will contend that the Dominican authority is completely shameless so my shear enjoyment of embarrassing them would go unfulfilled. But it may get results.

As discussed ad-nausea, the authorities know the bad guys, they are unfortunately their relatives.

Count me in for $$$.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I really can't see how it would do any damage. The President will have to act on it. (Especially with elections coming up) For the good cops in our area "Hope there are some" means they will be getting the resources "manpower and $$" to clean things up. For the bad cops a loss of revenue.
I think tourists being told not to leave the hotel and if they do, have their purses snatched or offered drugs on every street corner does a hell of a lot more damage.
Oh by the way, thanks for volunteering to handle the collection of the funds.
You must be talking about my twin brother.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I really can't see how it would do any damage. The President will have to act on it. (Especially with elections coming up)

I don't think it would do any damage either, but the President 'acting upon it'????????? I see you haven't lost your incurable optimism Eddy. :)

As to what works - take a lesson from a few miles up the road. About 15 months ago in Puerto Plata we had a noticeable crime wave: remember all the 'red zone' stuff in the papers? Like this:
La República - Organismos de seguridad declaran a Puerto Plata en “alerta roja” por la delincuencia

In the space of a few months the number of killings in broad daylight suddenly escalated (maybe because the one person taking out the puntos was no longer around?). The PP Dominican business community & others made a noise, we had a new jefe of police, Colonel Then, working 'mano duro' & they scourged many areas, late night multiple arrests (including of the innocent). Now the crime rate in PP has abated - it's not perfect, of course, but it's a lot better than it was a year ago.

Is there no way that the Dominican business community in Sosua & Cabarete could make a noise about this & use their political connections?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
My experience with countries like these, be it Ecuador or Spain, is that going to the press or even better, as suggested, placing a real good paid "ad", usually is more fruitful than anything else. Corruption hates to see itself taken to the public, EVEN when everybody knows about it anyway.
I have had very good results with that approach in the past.

... J-D.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My experience with countries like these, be it Ecuador or Spain, is that going to the press or even better, as suggested, placing a real good paid "ad", usually is more fruitful than anything else. Corruption hates to see itself taken to the public, EVEN when everybody knows about it anyway.
I have had very good results with that approach in the past.

... J-D.
I'm glad someone else shares my opinion. Let's hope we can put something together.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is there no way that the Dominican business community in Sosua & Cabarete could make a noise about this & use their political connections?

Sorry to quote myself :cheeky: but in the 12 or so hours since I posted that I've been brought up to speed on what has been going on to tackle the problem. Various community leaders have met with Puerto Plata's Jefe and his Chief to discuss implementing a mano duro approach for all north coast tourist areas viz. to extend the policy which has worked in Puerto Plata. I gather they were given an intelligent & receptive response; certainly there is no lack of awareness of the problem & the fact that it needs addressing promptly in order to stop the Dominican commercial interests moving to Punta Cana.

I'm not saying don't do an ad. in the paper but it's gratifying to know that Dominican business & community stalwarts have been pursuing this one. When they did so in Puerto Plata it had a successful outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.