Ancestors

Pierre Dierickx

Feb 26, 2008
hi to all;

i' am new here and have a question.
Working on my family tree,i found out that one of my ancestors named Wilhelmus,or Guiellimus Diericx ,moved from Erembodegem,the land of Aalst,the former 7 United Provinces,the curent Belgium; together with his wife: Van Der Elst Elisabeth and three childeren,amongst them one son,we know ,called Andreas,born in 1691 in Erembodegem in the year 1699-1700 by ship.
I just wonder if there is any possibility to find out if there are still living Diericx peoples over there in the Dominican Republic.
Note that,in time they left our region,(we,current Belgium) where occupied by the Spanish and had rough times here,i also was informed that La Hispanola went trouhg difficult times as well!
all help will be welcome and appreciated.
thanks in advance.

un flamenco curioso: Pierre Dierickx

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There are no Diericx or Dierickx listings in the Santo Domingo Residential Telephone Directory. About 30% of the population live in Santo Domingo.

If your ancestors prospered here they may have eventually hispanicized their surname.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are some Flemish/Dutch sounding names in the DR like Bogaert and Van der Horst, but I've never seen yours. Celt is right, it was probably changed to blend in, or they moved on somewhere else.