Online Gambling legal for DR residents?

Louie123

Feb 27, 2008
Hello,
i was wondering if online gambling is allowed for Dominicans and permanent
residents in the DR? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Louie

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I would like to add, although you have a permanent residency in the DR, if you still have US citizenship, you can not partake in online gambling. I don't know about canada or the EU

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would like to add, although you have a permanent residency in the DR, if you still have US citizenship, you can not partake in online gambling. I don't know about canada or the EU
Are you saying that an American citizen is not allowed to gamble online while in another country?
I am not informed, but it seems highly unlikely to me.
Isn't the online US gambling law, actually some old law that dates back to the days before the internet, which prohibits interstate gambling by telephone, or something similar to that?
If a US citizen was gambling online is in the DR, what interstate law would he be breaking?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hello,
i was wondering if online gambling is allowed for Dominicans and permanent
residents in the DR? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Louie

Yes, I agree it is permitted. As our computer, however, has a US IP address it was necessary for us to prove that we were residents in DR.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I believe the law is not against private citizens, but financial institutions. It prohibits financial institutions from send or receiving money from Gaming sites - unless you live in Nevada or Jersey or something.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, I agree it is permitted. As our computer, however, has a US IP address it was necessary for us to prove that we were residents in DR.
Somebody was pulling your leg.
Your puter has no IP address.
The IP comes from our internet providers, not out of the computer.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
Here is the deal. If you have a credit card from the country you are in you can gamble because to get a credit card in the DR you have to have residency and thus a Dominican address. I have been on Poker Stars for over a year. The key is that any money you win has to be sent back to the DR, or transfered to another player who can cash it out for you. You have to have a credit card, epassport, etc., to join the various poker outlets and you cannot use a US credit card or funds originating from a US financial institution.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here is the deal. If you have a credit card from the country you are in you can gamble because to get a credit card in the DR you have to have residency and thus a Dominican address. I have been on Poker Stars for over a year. The key is that any money you win has to be sent back to the DR, or transfered to another player who can cash it out for you. You have to have a credit card, epassport, etc., to join the various poker outlets and you cannot use a US credit card or funds originating from a US financial institution.
Was that just a typo when you registered, wanting to write "Deuce"?
Anyhow, to play poker in the DR, you do not have to have a residency.
I know a few guys who travel all over the world, including the DR and play online poker for a living.
The limitations are that it cannot be played in the US nor can the money transactions be done there either.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
You just said what I said, residency in the DR was an example. The limitation is where the money comes from and also that you can't be in the US at the time. And yes, it was a typo and I couldn't change it but it works for me.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You just said what I said, residency in the DR was an example. The limitation is where the money comes from and also that you can't be in the US at the time. And yes, it was a typo and I couldn't change it but it works for me.
Hi Deuce.
They call me Ace.;)

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Not all sites restrict...............

Since the US "ban" awhile ago some sites are still "US friendly" so really if you want to play and are from/play out of US there are many you can play from/for. As back to the OP's question I play against many from the DR so all seems ok. Best of luck too ya , except of course when you play me! ;) In regards to Canada from another poster, all is great here for poker but Netteller dropped us awhile ago so now I use Instadebit.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Since the US "ban" awhile ago some sites are still "US friendly" so really if you want to play and are from/play out of US there are many you can play from/for. As back to the OP's question I play against many from the DR so all seems ok. Best of luck too ya , except of course when you play me! ;) In regards to Canada from another poster, all is great here for poker but Netteller dropped us awhile ago so now I use Instadebit.
We play on Pacific Poker here.
What do you play?

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I play PP................

I am also on, ( here is my list)

Mansion
Ultimate bet
CD
Bugsy's Club
Doyles Room
Poker.com
Pacific Poker( as stated earlier)
Poker Royal
Poker time
Titan
Royal
Full Tilt ( at times gets on my nerves )
bodog
Noble

These are pretty much my regulars and at times I will play on other sites when invited. I LOVE live play though. I really prefer it. :cheeky:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Are you saying that an American citizen is not allowed to gamble online while in another country?
I am not informed, but it seems highly unlikely to me.
Isn't the online US gambling law, actually some old law that dates back to the days before the internet, which prohibits interstate gambling by telephone, or something similar to that?
If a US citizen was gambling online is in the DR, what interstate law would he be breaking?

I did a little poking around and I believe I am wrong on that matter. I think the problem is with the online gambling companies taking wagers from americans.