Started sponsorship to Canada for my wife....Carlos process from start to finish

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
Hi people:
My name is Carlos Burroughs and I am 23 yrs old, I married my long time girfriend Stephanie now 20 yrs old last december and I came ready with all the documents and forms needed to apply for the permanent resident status here in Canada (montreal, qc) signed by my wife and I also paid a person (comissionaire the assermentassion) to fill everything and take care of the whole process for me, she supplied inmigration with certified copies of all the documents and I have copies and originals of the docs I send via registered mail and they got it the day after...I also have the signature and all the confirmation for the receipt of the application.....so this is my timeline so far:

**went to Dominican Rep. for the 3rd time (Dec 20, 2007) after leaving the country to live here in Canada on Aug 23rd, 2004

**Got married on Dec 29, 2007 in Barahona, Rep. Dom.

**Came back to Montreal Canada on Jan 11st, 2008

**Sent application with all pics, documents needed (police certificate, birth certificate---she was born on Dec 8th, 1987 and declared on april 12, 1988---, marriage certificate, and all those things) and signed by me and my wife and all the required things, (even wedding pics, original wedding invitation, pics for my 3 trips, phone bills from her house, emails, letters, all the important stuff...) also did medical exams before coming again to canada....all that...so just to finish this long part, all documents and application was sent to mississauga ON, on January 18th, 2008

**They received the application on January 21st, 2008 (mississauga, ON)

now I am just waiting for the confirmation of receipt from them and also the approval for sponsoring her.......

I really hope everything goes well since I dont need to send any other docs because all the needed documents were sent already, if there is anything you guys need to say please respond to all this, thanks a lot and I will be waiting for any tips, answers from you guys, thanks again!!!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Congratulations!

Hi people:
My name is Carlos Burroughs and I am 23 yrs old, I married my long time girfriend Stephanie now 20 yrs old ...

Got married on Dec 29, 2007 in Barahona, Rep. Dom...
I will be waiting for any tips!!

Congratulations, Carlos. I wish you and Stephanie a lifetime of laughter, love, and peace together. It sounds like you're doing all the right things regarding immigration. I hope you don't have to wait too long. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
thanks a lot!!! it's a pleasure to meet you!!!

thanks a lot,

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi Carlos,
the only thing I can find which may or may not be a problem is that she was registered slightly more than three months after her actual birth. They might ask for more documentation so you may want to either get those now or have them ready in case they ask for them.

Here's what was posted in another thread;

Requirements of Canadian immigration if birth of a Dominican that was not registered within three months.

The Canadian Embassy in Haiti processes applications coming from the Dominican Republic. We normally require Dominican nationals to provide the original or a certified copy of their birth certificate

("acta de nacimiento (in extensa)" or "extracto de acta") from the Direccion Nacional del Registro del Estado Civil.

If the birth was not registered within the three months of the actual birth, we require additional documents to verify the birth and identity.

Such documents can be;
hospital or clinic record
baptismal certificate, etc.
along with a written explanation why the birth was registered late.

Good luck

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
I read that in another threat already, I called her mother to ask her if she has the baptismal certificate, but what is the hospital record? it that the document that shows the vaccine they give children when they are born? I will ask her mother to see if she has it....but u know how difficult is to get those documents if you lose them....what could be done in case she doesnt have them?, I'll be waiting for ur answer, thanks

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Letter of Declaration

Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you.
My husband just arrived here in Ontario on the 10th of January.
My husband was also declared later than three months after his birth.
Along with what we could find for hospital records and school records we got a notarized letter of declaration to confirm that he was who he said he was and the reason the birth was registered late.
This obviousely satisfied immigration.
I hope this is helpful.......Mona

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you.
My husband just arrived here in Ontario on the 10th of January.
My husband was also declared later than three months after his birth.
Along with what we could find for hospital records and school records we got a notarized letter of declaration to confirm that he was who he said he was and the reason the birth was registered late.
This obviousely satisfied immigration.
I hope this is helpful.......Mona​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that info, what is the name in spanish for the letter of declaration and who could give me one? a lawyer? how much would that be in pesos to get the letter of declaration??? hablas espanol verdad? what if we only find the baptismal certificate and no hospital records for vaccine??? let me know please, thanks a lot

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
is it required to translate the additional documents?

is it needed to translate all the documents needed to confirm identity in case they ask for them? my wife can just go to the canadian embassy in santo domingo to send those potentially required documents to haiti right? we dont need to send them via FEDEX or something like that......and also we should put some kind of cover letter with the case number (B number i think) right? let me know, thanks

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
Questions about immigration Canada

This is just not fair, I called haiti to ask them if they received a fax needed to correct information in my application to sponsor my wife and I also asked them if they received the medicals examinations and they transfered me to a voicemail message that says they cannot give any information regarding my case over the phone, what is this????? what if I need to know what is the status of my application with them???? is it impossible now that they dont even answer emails????? why is the canadian government allowing this to happen?????

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
updating info on this case......

I received the letter of approval from the federal government, now they forwarded the application to quebecs immigration office to start the application for the provincial acceptance, certificate of selection and all that.......and then to live the nightmare with haiti.........I hope all this goes well.........

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
Questions about immigration Canada

I was told by an immigration lawyer that if the person I am sponsoring doesn't speak either english or french won't be denied the permanent resident status because of the language problem here in quebec, canada (I am sponsoring my wife, she doesn't speak none of the 2 languages but is going to learn french here in montreal), do you guys think this is a problem????? I am already looking for schools where she can go to study french.......that is not a problem right????

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband did not speak English or French before coming to Canada - it posed no problems for our application. I think it more important though if you speak Spanish, otherwise immigration will wonder at the authenticity of the relationship and how you communicate with your wife.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, if you are sponsoring, your wife does not need to know any of the official languages - but you must speak a common language.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was told by an immigration lawyer that if the person I am sponsoring doesn't speak either english or french won't be denied the permanent resident status because of the language problem here in quebec, canada (I am sponsoring my wife, she doesn't speak none of the 2 languages but is going to learn french here in montreal), do you guys think this is a problem????? I am already looking for schools where she can go to study french.......that is not a problem right????

Where in the DR does she live. There are number of language schools where French is taught. If she has a reasonable education in the DR-High school she probably has had soon French and learning French grammar shouldn't be too hard for a Spanish speaking person. Pronunciation is another thing all together. My wife only spoke minimum of English before coming to Canada but all her letters and interviews were in Spanish. Certainly speaking French will make it easier for her to adjust so she should start learning it, the sooner the better. I don't think this will be a problem for non-admittance. We sponsored my mother-in-law and even after 3 years in Canada all she knows is money, America, Hello, dollars.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
Where in the DR does she live. There are number of language schools where French is taught. If she has a reasonable education in the DR-High school she probably has had soon French and learning French grammar shouldn't be too hard for a Spanish speaking person. Pronunciation is another thing all together. My wife only spoke minimum of English before coming to Canada but all her letters and interviews were in Spanish. Certainly speaking French will make it easier for her to adjust so she should start learning it, the sooner the better. I don't think this will be a problem for non-admittance. We sponsored my mother-in-law and even after 3 years in Canada all she knows is money, America, Hello, dollars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

really funny about ur mother in law, LOL, she lives in Barahona (south west of the country), there are little language schools in our province but I am sure she will pick it up when she comes here to montreal. I am glad to know that all the info she receives is in spanish and I will do my best to keep her up to date in what she needs to do next, the only thing is that now it is more difficult to even know what is needed to do next since the canadian embassy in haiti has technically closed the doors for us the sponsors to know where the process stands, I am just putting everything in god's hands and certainly hope everything happens fast and clean, with no major issue, thanks for your answer!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I noticed in the other thread that you are Dominican and have been in Canada for 3 years therefore your wife shouldn't have a problem if she doesn't speak English or French because you can communicate well in your own language. ;)

Good luck

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
that's totally correct, that is my exact case......I am a permanent resident sponsoring his wife from D.R (I will apply for citizenship next month when I am eligible since I have been traveling out of the country to D.R every year for at least 3 weeks to see my wife who was just a girfriend until last december when we got married)

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
yeah, I was born in Dominican and I know my wife since we were in high school...I know her for about 6 years now....4.10 years of novios and the rest married (since 29/12/2007)