Big Fire/explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
between POP and airport. I'm seeing it from Playa Chiquita over the bay.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Could be Rocky. Is this the time of year to burn? We estimate about 1/2 mile along the coast. Wind blowing from south and can see the smoke going over the city. Who knows what caused the explosions.

Regards, Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I know Rocky. Just saw another about a mile north or the fire/burn area. I have no idea what or why. Just reporting what we see.

The fire center has very heavy thick smoke so we can not see the center area.

Regards, Ringo

BTW. DR1 connection is verrrrrry slow? To US is normal.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Fire appears to be burning out. Still lots of smoke blowing over POP city. I would agree with Rocky that it was a sugar cane burn, that was a little bigger then intended....

Explosions unexplained and we will most likely never know whos' cars was in the fields.

Regards, Ringo

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Only Info

Only info I have on the matter is that it was cane fields burning and the explosions were due to electrical wires popping transformers out east of Playa Dorada. If others have more on this let us know. Was about 1 p.m. today?
Is that about the time you heard the commotion Ringo?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
tflea.. thanks for your input.

Power in Playa Chiquita went out this afternoon but I did not notice the time. It is back on now. Most likely not related?

Noticed the rather large fire, that is why I posted, at about 6 PM when we went to the porch for dinner. The size, both accross and high flames is what made us wonder. Along with the two... then another explosion.

It appears mostly down now, just a few hot spots.

I hope and happy that everyone is safe.

Regards, Ringo

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
NO explosions in or around the outskirts of Puerto Plata. I was in Playa Dorada around mid-day & didn't hear anything resembling EXPLOSIONS! A number of excited people on the golf course as there was some kind of tournament on ........ but that was the height of the festivities!! I didn't hear any explosions this evening either - must be limited to the Playa Chequita area.

There IS a lot of burned sugar cane settled on the roads/buildings now so I will assume that this is what Ringo saw as the 'Fires/Explosions' - standard burning of the sugar cane fields hereabouts ........!! ~ Grahame.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
What a mess

Yes, once again it's the time for the burning of the cane fields to start. That's exactly what was happening yesterday beginning about 5p.m. I've been told that they use some type of accelerant to make the fires spread and burn faster, and that after emptying the containers, they throw them into the fire as well, thereby causing explosions (don't know how accurate that is but that's what I was told upon my inquiry). Unfortunately, this burning does cause quite a mess, my front porch being just one example. Upon opening the front door this morning, my entire front porch (which is huge and curves around the side of the house), was full of the black residue that blows through the air along with the choking smoke and settles wherever. After an initial and thorough sweeping, it took two more subsequent sweepings to completely clear my porch. Unfortunately, I'll be sweeping the porch a lot for the next few weeks, as well as keeping all doors and windows closed as tight as possible. Fortunately, there are so many other GOOD things about living in the DR; this just isn't one of them.:ermm:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
This may be off topic but I heard that the sugar mill is not in service any more.
What was the reason to burn the sugar cane fields?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, our house is full of this stuff as well and we live quite far from the fields...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to Rocky: No they do not! In fact it is counterproductive. What it does is oblige the sugar mill to harvest quickly so as not to lose all the sugar juices....it is a way to force the mill to get going.!!!

If it works the people get to work and have a paycheck...such as it may be.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Note to Rocky: No they do not! In fact it is counterproductive. What it does is oblige the sugar mill to harvest quickly so as not to lose all the sugar juices....it is a way to force the mill to get going.!!!

If it works the people get to work and have a paycheck...such as it may be.

HB
Are you being serious?
The employees set fire to it to force the mill to harvest?
Is this for real?

PS: Ya got me good, HB.
Just Googled it and found out you were pulling my leg.

LSU AgCenter . Prescribed Burns Help the Sugarcane Industry and Reduce Smoke and Ash Problems
The ability of farmers to burn sugarcane is a significant economic factor for the state’s sugarcane industry. Burning of sugarcane before harvest eliminates from 30 percent to 50 percent of the leafy trash (residue) that constitutes from 20 percent to 25 percent of the total weight of the plant.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Well, I for one find it comforting to know this stuff ALSO happens up there on the N. Coast. That may not be a consolation to you guys but it is to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.