Speaking at Couples Retreat in DR.

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
Hi All,

I'm speaking couples retreat next week. The retreat is in a small village named Punta Rucia.

Would you reccomend renting an SUV and driving their from Puerto Plata -POP?

I will only be there for the weekend and have to head back to POP to fly out ot San Juan, PR Sunday afternoon.

Thoughts?

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
might be just me but.............

this is sounding like SPAM

if not my apologies but...................:cheeky:

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
It is.............

You're right...FAQs say that you can edit/delete your own posts, but I guess it is time sensitive...only available for a few mins after original post time.

time sensitive . Best of luck to you at your retreat. ;)

J

John Evans

what will you be speaking about and why are they retreating

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I never really understood..............

what the point of going to a "meeting" or whatever to build a better marriage! Not trying to question your business eurotravguy just I really don't see why people need to go to a "retreat" and listen to some guy who knows nothing about them tell them how to improve their marriage. I mean really, I am sure the retreat will be in a lovely area but I am left scratching my head how so many fall into this. Just my opinion and before you ask I am a very happily married, have been for over 13 years.

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
what will you be speaking about and why are they retreating

Communication skills: Showing Understanding, Expressing, Problem Solving...

In general, men desire and respond to respect while women desire and respond to love...It's funny how most challenges in our relationships are about those 2 central issues. Without love she reacts without respect, and without respect he reacts without love. When the wife feels even more unloved, she reacts even more. Or, when the husband feels even more disrespected, he reacts even more. This ignites a greater reaction in each.

Things get crazy!

Marital craziness is when we keep doing the same thing over and over. The topics change but the crazy cycle continues.
In short, these central questions are addressed...

1) Why do we negatively react to each other?
2) How can we energize our spouse to respond more positively?
3) What can we do when our spouse continues to be negative while we are trying to be loving and respectful?

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
what the point of going to a "meeting" or whatever to build a better marriage! Not trying to question your business eurotravguy just I really don't see why people need to go to a "retreat" and listen to some guy who knows nothing about them tell them how to improve their marriage.

Yes, exactly! In this case it may be a bit different the what you may be imagining. For starters, this trip is completely pro-bono...no charge...I'm covering all my expenses. Second, its more communication skills as they relate to marriage and family. Skills that we take for granted that others may not have had the exposure to simply because of family background.

I mean really, I am sure the retreat will be in a lovely area but I am left scratching my head how so many fall into this. Just my opinion and before you ask I am a very happily married, have been for over 13 years.

I tend to agree with you...the reason retreats work for many couples is because they set aside time to focus on their relationship away from the day to day. The same can be achieved with a simple vacation...no need to hear some guy talking about marriage stuff. The challenge lies in that some couples don't have the skill set to communicate in a way that leads to mutual understanding.

A friend of mine that lives and works in the DR working with many impoverished families invited me to come and share. Many of these couples have never been to the north coast, so it will be a treat. I had to visit puerto rico for some research I'm compiling and took up the invite to head to the beautiful DR. I'm looking forward to it. Too bad its just for a few days...

Congrats on 13 years of marriage bliss...with divorce rate lingering above 52% in the USA long-lasting marriages may become a thing of the past in a few generations... :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know the Catholic church has something of that sort. A friend's sister and husband used to organise their local chapter, before their own marriage went south...

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
Do churches in the DR offer Marriage Encounter?

My assumption is yes, but I don't know of any in particular.

A friend of mine was a missionary in the DR for 10yrs. He returned 2-3yrs ago now. His father started a mission in 1978 which has grown into 20 churches across the DR. It's my understanding that these churches are quite small 50-100 with the exception of 3 or 4. (Asamblea Apost?lica Rep?blica Dominicana)

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
I know the Catholic church has something of that sort. A friend's sister and husband used to organise their local chapter, before their own marriage went south...

Yes. I know that in the states (USA) the Catholic Church is involved in this work. In large part through their non-profit org Catholic Charities. A few of their agencies around the country have received $500k annually to deliver marriage education. Just google "catholic charities acf grant" and you'll come up with the specific sites and amounts awards as well as period or project.

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
yea, in th USA, through the Healthy Marriage Initiative there are about 234 agencies that have received fed $$ to provide marriage education... ACF Healthy Marriage Initiative

There is a body of research that is building indicating clear benefits of healthy marriages...benefits for children, men, women, communities...

The idea of fed govt. making provisions research in this field is a hot button for some.

eurotravguy

Feb 27, 2008
I just returned from the DR and had a great time. Thanks for all your help.

I rented a "jeep"...a Honda CRV...I soon learned that any SUV is called a Jeep or Jeepeta. I bought a map and drove down to Punta Rucia...It was quite simple. I had never been to the North Coast and it was only my 2nd time in the DR (the last being in 2001).

I found the people to be very friendly and helpful. One thing I did notice is that many people brandish firearms. I'm not so sure if they have ammunition in them, but I did see many with hand guns.

All and all it was a great trip. I will post pictures and video of the trip soon.

-m

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
One thing I did notice is that many people brandish firearms. I'm not so sure if they have ammunition in them, but I did see many with hand guns. -m

Did you address that in your discourse? As part of

3) What can we do when our spouse continues to be negative while we are trying to be loving and respectful?

Because for some it is part of the reality of a relationship here, although I guess they wouldn't be likely volunteers for your retreat. ;)