New here and needing some help

TwentyFourSeven

Feb 28, 2008
Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but here goes.

First off, I'm not Dominican, but I have a great interest in the Dominican Republic. Why? Well other than the fact the women are hot without rival, I do have a large Dominican family. How so? I will tell you shortly.

I was actually born on the island of St. Thomas in the United States Virgin Islands (on the east side of Puerto Rico). I was raised on the island of St. Kitts and that is where my father was born. My mother was born on the nearby island of Nevis. My last name is Tyson.

So how am I connected to the DR? Well my story is also that of many others from the eastern Caribbean. My grandfather from St. Kitts migrated to the Dominican Republic back in the 1940s to work in the cane fields. He went there with 7 other siblings as well as hundreds upon hundreds of other men and women from Nevis. Anguilla, St. Maarten/Martin, Antigua, the Virgin Islands (British and U.S) and other islands. I think they arrived in the eastern and southern towns like Santa Fe, La Romana and San Pedro. Many of them married and/or had children with the local population. Some, like my grandfather moved back to St. Kitts to return to their families OR start new families leaving children behind in the D.R.

What is happening now and has been happening is that people related to these men and women have been migrating to the islands where their ancestors came from. In 25 years, old neighborhoods on St. Thomas have gone from being old run down places to thriving Dominican strong holds. So amazing has been their rise been that last year while I was in St. Thomas, I met a couple from Philadelphia. They asked me if we also speak Spanish on our island. I asked him why he asked me that. He told me that while he was in the town, he heard a bunch of people speaking Spanish and that is because many of the merchants who sell to the tourists are Dominicans. Even our radio dial is filled with pure merengue and bachata. Did I mention how hot the women are?

Well I have never been to the D.R. I want to make a trip there. My problem is that I barely know my grandfather's siblings grandchildren (who would be my age). This is because he died when my father was only 2 years old so I never knew him where it would have been possible to intermingle with HIS side of the family. All I know is one cousin from down there who made to St. Kitts from the D.R. Her name is Indiana Tyson. Another one I met was a pastor in the Bronx, but he was much older than I was, probably born in th late 30s or very early 40s, born to my grandfather's sister. His name was Pastor Sams, my father's first cousin. I met him, but my father and his siblings never heard of him, much less met him. The irony is, both he and my father lived in the Bronx at the very same time and never knew of each other yet their parents were brother and sister.

So my question is, does anyone here know of any Tysons in the D.R? Interesting thing is, I'm simultaneously doing a search for my grandmother's people (this is my grandmother who raised me and who was once married to Mr. Tyson before he died in 1948). Her father migrated to St. Kitts from Portugal with the last name of De Gouveia (became "Deguire in St. Kitts). Gouveia is a district in mainland Portugal

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Unfortunately I can't help you as far as knowing if there are any Tyson's living here. But I had a question for you. Are you currently still living in St. Kitts? If so, where? Just curious because that's where my family is living (originally from the U.S.). If not, do you go back there often? Send me a PM if you don't mind.