Cabarete and Puerto Plata, Surfing and Sleeping, NEED HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringosuperstar

Mar 1, 2008
Hola,

I am a Senior in college and going to the north coast from march 21st to the 30th.

For the first 4 nights of my trip, I will be alone and plan on staying in Cabarete at Ali's surf camp. Is this camp legitimate and/or any good? Are there other camps where I can get a local/expat to show me surf spots? Are there any good surfboard rental places or should I bring my own?

My friends are coming in on Tuesday and I'm going to meet them in PP, and staying at the Barcelo. I was wondering if I should rent a car to drive around with my friends and look for surf spots, or hire a taxi? Is it safe to walk around unknown beaches? Do cops try to extort turists like in Mexico?

Lastly, im young and love to dance and meet lady friends. Ive read that you cant take women into the AI hotels. Can other guests at the Playa Dorada Complex come to my room? Where can i take ladies to bump uglies?

Any info you can provide would be most appreciated, THANK YOU!

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ali's Surf Camp is fine for lodging & the restaurant is good. In a residential area in town 5 minute to the beach and nightlife. Playa Encuentro is where you'll want to go for surfing & the folks at Ali's can hook you up. You can rent boards, I suspect at Ali's. If not, try Marcus at http://www.321takeoff.com

Make the decision on car rental after you see the traffic here. Local folks are real friendly & you may be able to get some of them to join you for a trip out to Playa Grande or other surf spots. There's one main road that runs along the north coast, but you'd likely need a local to tell you where to turn off for the best surf spots.

Note, you're arriving the weekend of Semana Santa (holy week). You were lucky to get a hotel! Many Dominicans celebrate the religious holiday by going to the beach & getting drunk. Expect HUGE crowds your first few days here. Calms down a lot after noon on Monday. Personally, I'm stocking up on food & don't plan to leave the apartment from Friday a.m. - Monday noon ;)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
If the lineup at Encuentro is too crowded, try Playa Grande to the east for some comparable waves and very few guys in the water. Not really longboardable over chest high, but gets some nice sets over limestone shelves and good form. Encuentro would be my first choice, but because of the week you?ll be here, PG is a good second option. Anything like wax etc, pick up in Cabarete as there are no other surf shops or supplies to the east. Have a great trip!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Can't help you with Cabarete but once you are in Playa Dorada at the Barcelo ...

I would recommend you hire a taxi to get you around. It is way safer and probably cheaper to get a taxi!

There are many clubs right in Playa Dorada if you want to meet ladies - tourists. If you want to meet locals - well most of those at Playa Dorada (but not all) will be pay to play! No they will not be allowed back in your room.

The only girls you can take back to your room will be the tourists staying at the same resort. Otherwise if you want to bring any other tourist you will have to pay for them to stay on resort with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.