Directions to Higuey

Uruby

Oct 18, 2006
Can anyone tell me where I can find directions on how to get to Higuey from Las Americas Airport?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yep......right here!

When you leave the airport parking lot, follow the airport access road to the main highway where you will bear right and head in the direction of San Pedro de Macoris/La Romana.
Stay on the highway until you pass San Pedro (you'll see big industrial buildings and a lot of dark smoke and some cane fields). You'll go over a large newer bridge (with lots of silver/grey suspension wires) as you bypass San Pedro.
A few minutes later you'll come to a not very well marked four corner crossing.
Keep going straight until you almost dead end.....I think you can see the Santana Beach resort sign to the right however you will turn left.
This is the road to La Romana.
Stay on it until you reach La Romana and the first stop light.
Turn right and go straight through La Romana, past the big Jumbo store and the marina and follow the signs from there to Higuey.

(you can also stop at the first gas station and buy a map!! It might come in handy!;))

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In all fairness........MapQuest

You can use it to plot your course then print it out to bring with you!

I used it last fall before we left for Europe to plan our stops along the way.....:bunny:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
MommC, you mentioned you can use mapquest here in the Dominican Republic. Would you tell me the details of using it here? I can only see Canada, USA and parts of Europe. It would really come in handy if this works here. thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'll try......

Warning .....I'm having internet issues this morning...took me 20 minutes and several log-out log-ins to get this reply form to load.....

Just go to mapquest and enter Dominican Republic as the Country,
Santo Domingo as the city.....
Voila! You've got a map.
Then you can get driving directions......you know how it works.
I don't know how good it is as I haven't used it here but the main map shows the route from Las Americas to Higuey which is what the OP asked for.

I use a map that I bought at the mini market next to our place as it's much more detailed and I have a different one that I bought at a service station which shows the major highways.