Interview Questions for a K1 visa

prieto

Feb 29, 2008
I'm not sure of the format her, this is my first post. Can anyone tell me what types of questions to expect in our interview for a K1 visa. Thanks

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'm not sure of the format her, this is my first post. Can anyone tell me what types of questions to expect in our interview for a K1 visa. Thanks

If you're in a real relationship with her, don't worry as most questions will deal with the regular things that happen to couples. If the relationship is faked and intended to defraud the US k1 visa program: Be afraid! Very afraid! Odds are they'll spot the bluff and the citizen will face stiff penalties for this, the person requesting entrance to the US will be barred from it unless a miracle happens later...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Well, Pichardo...actually the worst penalty they will receive is the DENIAL of their visa...other than that, they won't do much...there is a penalty for fraud, but I have yet to hear of anyone they applied this to...it's much easier to just DENY them the chance of EVER coming to live in the states...that's about it...

To the OP...as Anna said...visit Dominicans to the USA - Index and go to the left hand side of the screen to look for the DOWNLOADS...the question are posted there...although most are in Spanish...they are simple to understand...

SOMETIMES the CO's tend to get a little more 'intimate' with the questions...

We were asked when was the last time we had sex, and who got up first to take a shower after wards...

So, just be prepared and answer the questions with COMPLETE honesty...

You'll be just fine!!

MQ

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I know of some cases that people were fined via the federal court for lying about their made up marriage for papers. The woman got fined some $2,000 US and the man was told to wait for pigs to fly to try again and apply for an immigrant visa...

The woman now can't even consider marrying and trying to have the DHS give her the time of day, let alone papers for the husband...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I know of some cases that people were fined via the federal court for lying about their made up marriage for papers. The woman got fined some $2,000 US and the man was told to wait for pigs to fly to try again and apply for an immigrant visa...

The woman now can't even consider marrying and trying to have the DHS give her the time of day, let alone papers for the husband...

Are you talking about visas in DR? Or elsewhere in the world?

I really have NEVER heard of ANYONE in DR getting fined for lying...

We've even discussed this on DTTUSA...maybe if anyone did get fined, they didn't dare post about it...

The most we've heard is of people just getting flatly refused their visas...and THAT'S bad enough!!!

MQ

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Are you talking about visas in DR? Or elsewhere in the world?

I really have NEVER heard of ANYONE in DR getting fined for lying...

We've even discussed this on DTTUSA...maybe if anyone did get fined, they didn't dare post about it...

The most we've heard is of people just getting flatly refused their visas...and THAT'S bad enough!!!

MQ

Not in the DR... K1 is a visa that allows a US citizen to have their fianc?e come to the US and wait for their change of status there.
Also used by newly married couples with the same aim.

The one fined was the US citizen in Federal court; the Dominican citizen was never in the US to begin with as that was the whole idea behind the k1 interview...
Got it?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not in the DR... K1 is a visa that allows a US citizen to have their fianc?e come to the US and wait for their change of status there.
Also used by newly married couples with the same aim.

The one fined was the US citizen in Federal court; the Dominican citizen was never in the US to begin with as that was the whole idea behind the k1 interview...
Got it?

I think MQ is well aware of what a K1 visa is.;)

Yes it's a fiancee visa to the US but the sponsor and the immigrant have to get married within 90 days of the immigrant arriving in the US before they can change the status.

The interview for a K1 and K3 is done in Santo Domingo

K1 visa is not used by newly married couples if he/she is still in the DR that one is a K3 visa.

K1 visa for Dominicans that are engaged to US citizens
K3 visa for Dominicans married outside the US to a US citizen.

For this site we use Dominicans because, ;) but it can be any nation applying to get a visa to the US.

And please, unless you have a link to a story of fraud or it's your own story don't post it here.

Thanks

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I think MQ is well aware of what a K1 visa is.;)

Yes it's a fiancee visa to the US but the sponsor and the immigrant have to get married within 90 days of the immigrant arriving in the US before they can change the status.

The interview for a K1 and K3 is done in Santo Domingo

K1 visa is not used by newly married couples if he/she is still in the DR that one is a K3 visa.

K1 visa for Dominicans that are engaged to US citizens
K3 visa for Dominicans married outside the US to a US citizen.

For this site we use Dominicans because, ;) but it can be any nation applying to get a visa to the US.

And please, unless you have a link to a story of fraud or it's your own story don't post it here.

Thanks

The actual case described by me in my post was printed in the NY daily News on about mid 2002. I can't get a hold of a copy with the actual report but one would think you don't need to place links to every piece of information one posts here...

I have placed some links to related cases reported in the media about such incidents. Take into consideration that most (99%) of the cases found to be sham marriages are not reported to the media by the DHS immigration arm; this mostly due to the personal information of the individuals in such cases agreeing to either be self deported, deported, not admitted to the US on the basis of their petition in their home countries or a host of other things.

They opt to plead guilty to the charges levied by the immigration dept and are exonerated from further prosecution; as such freeing the dept to aim resources to other cases.

The cases that make the news are those that the DHS immigration dept wants to use for educating the public about the enforcement of the rules and to assure the local people that work is being done.

In the DR, the US consulate is very strict regarding the privacy of all information on applicants. Very little is let known about regular cases, let alone about those found to be committing fraud.

"Pair arrested in green card marriage that resulted from Web ads"
LA Times News

Officials crack down on green-card marriages
Sham marriages increasing across the U.S., immigration officials

MSNBC

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Pichardo...the case you listed on your last post talks about fraud done IN THE US...therefore the person could be prosecuted here...

When you apply for a K-1 or K-3 visa (yes, Anna...I'm well aware of the types ;) ) the USC HAS to go to the US Embassy in DR for an interview with their SO...

There, the CO, at their discretion, can ask all kinds of questions, depending on how they see the couple acting and reacting to each other...

They can even be sent to an 'interrogation' room were they look at each case deeper... (We were...and passed with flying colors...the only thing they saw was the age difference, but couldn't prove anything because our relationship is VERY real...let me also tell you that I think the CO that handled our case was 'dismissed' from her post shortly afterwards!)

In cases where there is clearly a reason to suspect fraud, the visa is simply denied...

Sometimes, if they get a 'hit' by the FBI on the DR SO's name, they can ask for more fingerprints and the case gets put on AR until resolved...which could take a few more months of waiting...

But, in the time I've been dealing with this process...(our case took 18 months) and I have been on DTTUSA...I have NEVER heard of ANYONE being prosecuted or fined for fraud...

Again, maybe if someone was, they never came back to post...but MOST of the ones that were denied did post their experience...and cried about it...although knowing full well they had lied...

Some have even gotten their visas, only to be very disappointed after arriving in the US and finding out they were only 'loved' for their visa!!!!!

Very few brave ones posted about those situations, though... :(

vegetablevn

Aug 27, 2010
Pichardo...the case you listed on your last post talks about fraud done IN THE US...therefore the person could be prosecuted here...

When you apply for a K-1 or K-3 visa (yes, Anna...I'm well aware of the types ;) ) the USC HAS to go to the US Embassy in DR for an interview with their SO...

There, the CO, at their discretion, can ask all kinds of questions, depending on how they see the couple acting and reacting to each other...

They can even be sent to an 'interrogation' room were they look at each case deeper... (We were...and passed with flying colors...the only thing they saw was the age difference, but couldn't prove anything because our relationship is VERY real...let me also tell you that I think the CO that handled our case was 'dismissed' from her post shortly afterwards!)

In cases where there is clearly a reason to suspect fraud, the visa is simply denied...

Sometimes, if they get a 'hit' by the FBI on the DR SO's name, they can ask for more fingerprints and the case gets put on AR until resolved...which could take a few more months of waiting...

But, in the time I've been dealing with this process...(our case took 18 months) and I have been on DTTUSA...I have NEVER heard of ANYONE being prosecuted or fined for fraud...

Again, maybe if someone was, they never came back to post...but MOST of the ones that were denied did post their experience...and cried about it...although knowing full well they had lied...

Some have even gotten their visas, only to be very disappointed after arriving in the US and finding out they were only 'loved' for their visa!!!!!

Very few brave ones posted about those situations, though... :(

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting