Fishing charters in Samana

ryalso

May 31, 2006
sport fishing out of Samana Peninsula

Does anyone have information on the deep sea fishing possibilities out of the Samana Peninsula? I know its very good out of the East Coast area of Punta Cana, but I can't find much info on Samana. Also, how is the diving? Hope to visit the area by fall, maybe even look at some property (if there is any left!). Have been to the Puerto Plata area several times but this will be our first trip to Samana. Have been fortunate to have gone alot of places, but the DR and it's people, including expats are the best. Thanks in advance for any help.

BcGreenhorn

Feb 1, 2008
That attractions page just says there are some dive centres in Samana hotels. Does nayone know at which hotels, or where, these Samana dive shops are - if there are any?

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
My husband and I would like to charter a boat to go fishing (we are in Las Terrenas) but when we inquired with Cap Ocean Fishing Charter (they seem
to be the only ones in the area), they told us we could only keep a fish if
we catch lots of them. If we only catch one or two, the captain gets to
keep the fish. I never heard of this in the United States. It doesn't make
any sense to us that we would pay for the trip and not get to keep at least
one fish.

Needles to say, we are not going out with them, and neither are any of our
friends. Does anyone know if there is anyone else in Samana that does
fishing charters? I think there is someone in Las Galeras but we don't want
to travel so far. The city of Samana would be OK.

Juniper

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
To not keep the fish you catch on a charter, provided they don?t have a release policy or the fish don?t fall into a legal size/quantity slot doesn?t sound right to me. I?ve fished a lot of clients around the Carribean and they get to keep their catch. In fact, I?ve never heard of that arrangement for a strictly day-charter deal. There are a number of boats in Las Terrenas, and if the modern guys all abide by that policy, and you choose not to accept, check out some locals outboard outfits for some handlining for bottomfish. There are plenty of smalltime commercial guys that would take you for a day, share the catch and pass the time on the ocean. Tight lines..

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Juniper,

As Fightfish said, i have never heard of that, where you do not keep what you catch, or
at least share the catch, however perhaps you should try at, Hotel Palapa Beach on
Punta Popy LT.

PalapaBeach Hotel Have Fun

CAPOCEAN

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Juniper,

I am the owner of CAPOCEAN.
I'm surprise to read this message.
A lot of fishing charter in the world have the same politic.
With CAPOCEAN, you can fish for a good price (480 US dollars for 6 hours, with a new motor catamaran 34,5 feets)
I know the price for fishing in other fishing charter (Africa, United State, Carribean...) and it's not the same price.
The captain and the boat get to keep the fish.
I could sell the fishing charter more expensive (more than 600 us dollars), and you take way the fish but it is not our politic.
Best regards,
Fabrice LAMBERT
CAPOCEAN
capocean

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Sorry Capocean, but what the captain makes is his job, and the catch goes to the client. Yellowfin tuna at 45 rd a pound can add up, but then that?s at the dock, and not really about giving the guy in the chair his reel-burning experience. That?s what it?s all about, no?

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Thank you Fightfish and Thurston for your input.

To CAPOCEAN: Again, we have never heard of such a thing in the U.S. Thanks for your explanation, but it actually sounds like we pay for the fuel in your boat, and catch the fish for you so that you can sell it in the market. No, sorry, I don't think
it should be that way. Like we say in the U.S....."There is something wrong with that picture." But I guess it's your boat and you have the right to do anything you want.

As for us, we will look some place else.

Juniper

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Thank you Catherine and Roberto. I just sent you a private message.
My husband and I will be delighted to use your charter to go fishing.

We are in the States now but as soon as we get back to LT will definitely come up to see you in Las Galeras.

Juniper

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
Capocean

You are surprised by the fact that Capocean in Las Terrenas do not to let you keep your fish. My understanding is that this practice is the same in most parts of the world. We went deep see fishing in Hawaii and Miami beach and they have the same rules. We checked with friends who fish in Senegal and there the fish belong to the harbour association. In all cases they allow you to keep one fish only if there is plenty. The real sportmen never board the fish but release it once it is caught, and just enjoy the sport !

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
You are surprised by the fact that Capocean in Las Terrenas do not to let you keep your fish. My understanding is that this practice is the same in most parts of the world. We went deep see fishing in Hawaii and Miami beach and they have the same rules. We checked with friends who fish in Senegal and there the fish belong to the harbour association. In all cases they allow you to keep one fish only if there is plenty. The real sportmen never board the fish but release it once it is caught, and just enjoy the sport !

If "The real sportmen never board the fish but release it once it is caught, and just enjoy the sport !" how come Capocean keep the fish? Sportsmanship?

Also, If you read the original post is about "Fishing", not "Sport Fishing", and to my knowledge the OP use to live in Florida for a "few" years. On a boat!LOL

WebDev

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I love your answer WebDev, my sentiments exactly. I couldn't have said it better. Thank you!

CarpeDiemPT

Apr 19, 2010
Samana Fishing?

I'm looking for a reliable fishing charter for 2 people April 24, 25, 26th 2010 but haven't been able to find anything on line. We plan to stay in Las Terranes but have flexibility as we're driving up from Santiago. Please advise.

CarpeDiemPT

Apr 19, 2010
Thanks. The Sports Fisherman Link looks great however they are not available that weekend. I'll look into the capocean link. I've read mixed reviews on that one.

Any advice is welcome.