Attn: Expats in the DR - How long have you lived here?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure this topic has been covered numerous times so forgive me...

I have lived and worked here in this marvelous country almost 19 years now. ( time sure fly's when you're having fun :) )

I arrived in the Capital in 1989 then moved to Puerto Plata a year latter, found work and the rest is history as they say!

Just curious, that's all...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Moved here from UK in June 2006 so still very much "newbies" but love it to bits and would not want to return to UK.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I came here on vacation for the first time in August 1999.

I moved here on July 1, 2002. (I walked out on the Rat Race on April 1, 2002.) The rats won.

Two excellent books in the English language to prepare you for life here are IMO Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, both by Lewis Carroll.

I think they can be useful in understanding the logic of how things work here.

:cross-eye

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Two excellent books in the English language to prepare you for life here are IMO Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, both by Lewis Carroll.

:cross-eye

So funny... 2 hours ago I wrote a pm to another DR1 member where I referenced moments of feeling like Alice in Through the Looking Glass during my early days in DR

I think they can be useful in understanding the logic of how things work here.

I've often said things here should or will happen 'in theory'. Once you get south of Miami, I'm pretty certain logic doesn't always apply. One of the charms of living here, eh?

oh... as for the original question:
3 years Santiago 2000-2003
2 years north coast 2006-present
first visit about 17 years ago

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
So funny... 2 hours ago I wrote a pm to another DR1 member where I referenced moments of feeling like Alice in Through the Looking Glass during my early days in DR

How many times have I been left cross eyed totally flummoxed by the............ how do you describe it...anti logic...fourth dimension...alternate reality...Caribbean way...chaos...words fail. (memo to self: bone up on Chaos Theory)

The only thing I can control is my attitude. I think a key to living here successfully is to learn how to maintain the gleam in the eyes and deal with it all with equanimity and humor which is sometimes easier said than done.

:eek:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
First Visit....Jan 1990

Bought our condo Feb same year.

I laugh and shake my head at everyday occurances and 'vent' when I need to on the board!!!

Some people on the board know 'exactly' where I'm coming from when I vent!;):cheeky::ermm::bunny:

Only here winters, don't think I could live without civilization year round!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I find little I need vent about these days, usually I either chuckle or roar with laughter. Like this:
El Nacional, la voz de todos

At the Rio Summit with some 20 heads of state & all the stuff about Colombia & Ecuador going down, President Fernandez as presiding Head of Rio Group gave the welcoming address. They put the press corps and invited guests (various VIPs) in the Chancery to watching on closed circuit television. Coverage of the President's remarks in the press is a little light because.............. the sound on the closed circuit wasn't working. :laugh::laugh: Isn't that classic?

First visited 1990, moved here November 1992.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Visited for the first time in 1999; vacationed numerous times after that; moved here Sept., 2006. It's taken a while to adjust to the day to day, but every day of absolutely gorgeous weather (especially like we've been having the past few weeks) makes it a glorious one. No matter what happens in the day, it's pretty hard to complain about that!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Dh (JimHE) moved down in early 2006 and the rest of us (me plus 3 kids, 1 huge dog & 2 cats) followed two months later...sight unseen (not the best way to pick out a place to live but oh well!) And to think all 5 plus the animals came down with two suitcases each (and the cats were considered our carry-ons)...for details on the moving with pets...search my account of the Miami Massacre (moving with pets).

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Moved down in 1996 to SD. Lived there for a bit over 8 years then moved up to Punta Cana. Been here now for 3 years and wouldn't move out of the area for anything.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
<<<<<wow time, even at island pace flies>>>>>

A friend said, come over and visit, I could use your help.........

Came here for the first time in 07/2000, never left.

never really new anything about the DR, even had to be corrected on occasion its Santo Domingo, not Santa Domingo.........

Ni hable una palabra de espanol!

Did not even know that Haiti was on the same island.

The weather,

Ah the Girls, the Beautiful Girls!

I am here................still helping my friend

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I know I don't belong here yet, but after visiting DR 2 times 2003, once in March and again one month later in April and about 4 months later, retired from my job of 32yrs, here in Philly and i'm still working on liquidating my property here, without taking a big loss, but I think DR, I dream DR, so I have to move my body also. So I'm saying, March 2003 and I'm not really lying, or maybe I'm reading too much Rocky-DR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!