Potential war adverted in Santo Domingo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Potential war averted in Santo Domingo?

So far the Prez of Colombia was shown walking towards the prez of Venezuela, Ecuador and Nicaragua to hug all and the whole room came to their feet in applause…

Seems to be that the tensions have been deflated over the recent FARC border attack by Colombia’s military…

Will it last?

More importantly should they just brush the whole thing aside or build on it to make sure no country provides a platform to any military group or dissenter to plan, fund and launch attacks into any neighboring country in L.A.???

I see Fernandez's fingerprints all over the place on this one...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
What a way to end a very tense moment, I really tip my hat off Leonel Fernandez. AMAZING

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This is fascinating, its a great thing politically for Leonel. Shows him as a peace maker, gets him confidence in the region and helps his re-election bid. He couldnt have asked for anything better.

As for the Farc thing, they are all culpable. Colombia for invading, Ecuador for receiving Farc funds and Venezuela for funding the Farc. I love international politics. It's like a soap opera for nerds.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
A minute of silence

The way Chavez acted during this event is pretty revealing.

It effectively means las FARC would now officially have a safe heaven inside Venezuela.

Which would effectively mean he's harboring what both the United States and the EU consider a terrorist organization..

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Nerds Unite!

I totally resemble that remark - and have done since about 1970.:ermm:

It's OK us poli nerds can unite....!! So what do you think of these developments? Nationally, Regionally and Internationally? What are the implications?

Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No one comes out looking good, apart from maybe our Leo. :)

Chavez's double dealings come as no surprise, Correa should take a look at who they have been harbouring, the Colombians need to look at the equally bloody record of the paramilitaries, who may or may not be state sanctioned, meanwhile the ordinary people of Colombia are caught between two fires, like in Peru in the 1980s, and will continue to suffer.

So it's a kind of stalemate, and apart from a momentary PR victory for LF, it's not likely that too much will change. OTOH things are not looking good for FARC either, with the huge popular mobilisation last month and the killing of two of their leaders, but whether they are on the brink of collapse/surrender is not clear. I fear for the hostages - who knows what FARC might do to Ingrid Betancourt and co when their backs are against the wall.

Oh, and Daniel Ortega is pathetic.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Yeah, but there's a big difference between the possibility of some one high-up within Uribe government sanctioning domestic paramilitaries - or the probability some Colombian Congressmen were doing such - and Chavez himself effectively announcing Venezuela as a harbor of the most dangerous international terrorist group based in this Hemisphere ..

Last edited:

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
it was just mentioned on NBC...great play Leonel...I would love to see the transcripts of what was said behind the closed doors

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah, but there's a big difference between the possibility of some one high-up within Uribe government sanctioning domestic paramilitaries - or the probability some Colombian Congressmen were doing such - and Chavez himself effectively announcing Venezuela as a harbor of the most dangerous international terrorist group based in this Hemisphere ..
They allegedly receive tacit support from Uribe's government AND probably even more from the governments that came before. I get your point if you look at it purely politically, but ethically what's the huge difference?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
They allegedly receive tacit support from Uribe's government AND probably even more from the governments that came before. I get your point if you look at it purely politically, but ethically what's the huge difference?

"allegedly" "may or may have not" v.s. Chavez actually doing so.

Another major difference is that a relatively good Judicial System in Colombia has put a bunch of them in jail, at least 'till a full investigation takes place. Chavez, on the other hand, having gutted Venezuela's Judicial System has essentially become the absolute authority there.

Also, one can well argue Uribe's own aggression against those using undemocratic means to sow violence in his country has actually led to the discovering and serious litigation of those controversies.

While I'm saddened by probability of what those Colombian congressman did, I'm also absolutely impressed in that the Colombian Judicial System and government institutions in general are functioning way better in times of war under Uribe, than most of those in Latin America - including DR's and definitely those of Venezuela under Chavez - have ever functioned in times of peace.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As the campesinos who live in terror of being massacred by either side will tell you - it doesn't make much difference who the guys with the guns are or who is supporting them.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
As the campesinos who live in terror of being massacred by either side will tell you - it doesn't make much difference who the guys with the guns are or who is supporting them.

But absolutely makes a difference to having a president and government institution that relatively good at pro actively dealing with it i.e. bringing those responsible to justice v.s. a president just condoning it without much consequence.

As most Colombian would aprovingly tell you, President Uribe's administration has drastically reduced the level of violence against the civilian population in their country. Not only the violence committed by anti-government criminals but even more so that committed by paramilitaries, which have now largely been demobilized under Uribe.

and you know how the demobilization under Uribe it having great effects? Most of this controversies were brought into the fore by the process delineated under that demobilization agreement..

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know things are better now than they were a few years ago, yes. :) On that front anyway. And ironically for a country with such problems with conflict it is notable for its strong institutions.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Amen.

If Venezuela's institution were half as good, Chavez would most likely be standing in a jail cell, like several Colombian Congressmen and other high officials, or at least stripped of a great amount of his current powers, seriously investigated by the legislative and judicial branches, and many of his 'deputies' sent to jail instead.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Leonel took the correct road of a neutral broker, and brought the parties together at least on paper. We now must wait for concrete actions on the ground indicating things will in fact settle down.

I will also take the neutral road here as there is plenty of blame to go around, but I must say that when these negotiations for the release of hostages started in earnest two or three months ago, seems to me President Uribe has tried his best to see them fail. Just when a release is eminent or in the process of some breakthrough, the Uribe government does something unilaterally that derails the process or at least delays it. I also believe behind these tactics you will find American fingerprints.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
President Uribe has tried his best to see them fail. Just when a release is eminent or in the process of some breakthrough, the Uribe government does something unilaterally that derails the process or at least delays it. I also believe behind these tactics you will find American fingerprints.
Why? Is the implication that it's in their interest for the conflict to continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.