Watermark fractional ownership--Cabarete

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I have recently learned of a fractional ownership project touted for Kite Beach by a firm called Watermark. When you enter their website, you find references to their (perhaps) ownership of the Ramada Hollywood Beach and the Casablanca in Miami Beach, as well as some kind of vacation club. Vacation clubs enjoy a reputation worse than the worst of timeshare ripoffs, and these two hotels have Trip Advisor reviews worse than some prisons I have heard about.

So who are these people and what are they trying to do? For example, the rendering on the website appears to be well in excess of the three storey limit for multi-unit buildings.

Etc. etc.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Fractional Ownership Program ... From their website

How does fractional ownership differ from timeshare?
While there is nothing wrong with timeshare, there are several differences between the two.
A typical timeshare has 52 owners per unit usually in very large complexes of 300 units or more, and they certainly are not of the same luxury and quality as those at WatermarK.
Fractional ownership has a significantly lower number of owners per unit. In addition, a fractional ownership interest at WatermarK will be conveyed by shares in a Corporation which will provide all the benefits of ownership, such as property appreciation.

How is ownership of my residence evidenced?

The title and deed are held by a corporation called a CO-OP, or Co-Operative Housing Project. The corporation owns the real estate. You are buying shares in a Co-Operative Housing Corporation.
As a member in the Co-Operative, you have an exclusive right to live in a specific unit (this is established through an occupancy agreement or proprietary lease) as long as you remain a shareholder. As part of your membership, you also have a vote in the affairs of the corporation.
Thousands of Americans have invested millions of dollars in Co-Operative Housing Projects, or CO-OPs, and this is one of the most common forms of real estate ownership in Cities like New York and Miami.

Why was the fractional concept created?

Fractional real estate ownership is one of the fastest growing segments in the Real Estate industry today. It provides the opportunities and benefits of owning a second home (for only the amount of time you will use it) without the hassles typically associated with this kind of purchase.
Designer furnishings, housekeeing services, pre-arrival arrangements and a complete selection of personalized services are just some of the amenities that WatermarK owners can enjoy at a fraction of the cost of whole ownership and with none of the hastles.

Are there other shared ownership projects around the world?

Absolutely. Fractional ownership exists in virtually every luxury resort community around the world!
Places like Aspen, Lake Tahoe, Hawaii, Miami, Vail, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, the Caribbean, and many others have become well known for their fractional programs. Even the leading luxury hotel brands such as St. Regis, Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons have fractional products.
WatermarK is the only shared ownership of this type currently being offered in Kite Beach, Cabarete.

Can I exchange my time at WatermarK to go to other resorts?

Absolutely! As a WatermarK owner, you will be automatically affiliated with Interval International Inc. As an Interval International member you will have the opportunity to take a ski vacation in locations such as Vail, Park City, Kellogg, Idaho and Lake Tahoe, or other sun and fun destinations such as Hawaii, Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta.
Interval International has the most affluent worldwide member base of any vacation exchange company and has resorts in more than 75 countries on six continents, in the most sought-after destinations.
All of the affiliated projects are inspected to insure they meet the highest standards of luxury and quality. Recognizing its long standing reputation for excellence, the hospitality industry?s most respected names, including Hyatt Vacation Club, Marriott Vacation Club International, and Starwood Vacation Ownership, have chosen to affiliate with Interval International.

How often can I use my residence?

Each fraction is made up of 4 non-consecutive weeks that span the entire calendar year. As the sole owner of these weeks, you are always guaranteed use of your time.
You may trade one or several weeks with other WatermarK owners or with other Interval International members anywhere in the world. You may also rent your unit and receive income through WatermarK?s Hotel Rental Program or a family member can use it to stay.

How many Fractional Shares will be sold?

There are eight residences available with thirteen fractional owners of each residence. When fully subscribed, there will only be 104 fractional owners. With only eight residences available, this program truly is limited

Are there ownership fees?

Yes, as is typical in any condominium ownership. Owners pay annual assessments to cover maintenance, professional management, utilities, property taxes, owner services, and reserves for replacement of furnishings, etc.
This ensures that your residence will always be fully furnished and well maintained to the standards you would expect. However, unlike a typical condominium, these fees are shared with all the other owners of your unit so you only pay a fraction of the cost while enjoying all the benefits.

Who establishes the assessments and controls the affairs of the owners?

An owner elected board of trustees will establish the budget and assessments on an annual basis.

Do I pay Real Estate Taxes?

Taxes are assessed on the cooperative corporation, as owner of the property. Your monthly payments to the co-op are, in part, used by the co-op to pay the real estate taxes.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have recently learned of a fractional ownership project touted for Kite Beach by a firm called Watermark. When you enter their website, you find references to their (perhaps) ownership of the Ramada Hollywood Beach and the Casablanca in Miami Beach, as well as some kind of vacation club. Vacation clubs enjoy a reputation worse than the worst of timeshare ripoffs, and these two hotels have Trip Advisor reviews worse than some prisons I have heard about.

So who are these people and what are they trying to do? For example, the rendering on the website appears to be well in excess of the three storey limit for multi-unit buildings.

Etc. etc.

I did some digging and so far this is what I could get:

The principal guy lists an air community as the main address of contact. These are communities for people that love to own their airplanes and commute in and out of the residence via a private community owned runway.

The place is 120 Piper Blvd in Port Orange FL (some miles away from me).

He's involved in villa rentals in the DR for a while now and for all it seems to be a legit biz. I doubt they own the actual villas they rent out from their alternate Dominican Republic rental villa : Caribbean rental villa, Dominican Republic Villa rental Beach Front site, but it checks O.K.

They rent out a home in the DR's coast to people who want to be on their own and not have to deal with much paperwork for short term rental agreements by themselves with owners.

The biz sounds legit, looks legit and feels legit so it must be legit...

Just take under consideration that in the site is trumps that the site will be ready in early 2008 and I don't really want to jinx it, buuuuuuuuuuuuut: Aren?t we a good way into 2008 already???

I think they have a buyer's shortage and that could work well into your advantage (of sorts).

Some local digging would clear any doubts

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Okay, thanks for the research, one and all.

However, what do you make of the incredibly bad reviews on Trip Advisor of the properties that they tout on their website? Why would anyone boast of this affiliation when in 30 seconds they could determine what the public thinks of the resort properties they are already involved with?

In short, doesn't this drastically undermine whatever credibility they may have?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
To be honest, I never take those comments in the web by "casual users" to be the actual thing. Basically, I rate the people that go out of their way to post in those sites about the million negative things to be picky and hard to deal with...

I always maintain that if you don't have anything positive and good to say is best not to say anything...

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Trip Advisor, etc.

I tend to agree if Trip Advisor has a handful of negative reviews, that a certain percentage of them are just the kind of whiners and malcontents you refer to. However, the endless chain of virulent negative comments about the properties cited on this developer's website are hard to ignore.

I don't have an agenda other than to hope that Cabarete does not attract any more fast buck artists than are already there, frankly.

If a developer's track record is questionable, and I don't have enough hard evidence to say that in this case, it is worth noting.

So, what I am trying to do is find out if anyone has any first hand information. Sounds like no one does.

NJguy

Oct 13, 2006
Questionable?

Abe,

I'm just curious to know why you would deem this developer's track record as "questionable." Does a bad review on trip advisor make a company "questionable?"

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Mr. NJ guy--

Here's what I wrote: "If a developer's track record is questionable, and I don't have enough hard evidence to say that in this case, it is worth noting."

In most business settings, your brand is a key ingredient to your success. Do you think Marriott, etc. would stand for Trip Advisor's litany of terrible reviews on the two hospitality businesses they put on their website?

That's what Watermark appears to be doing--in addition to touting their relationship with a "vacation club". Vacation clubs, by and large, make timeshare look like Government bonds in terms of safety.

Jumbo's observation is also worth noting--I realize that all the names of the people are there for the reading and, again, I have no information that they are questionable. Their portrayal of who they are on their website IS questionable--in my opinion.

Put it this way--they are not exactly building a positive brand identification just yet.

NJguy

Oct 13, 2006
Vacation Club?

Abe,

By Vacation Club do you mean the affiliation with Interval International? Also, has your investigation led you to contact any of the email addresses listed? I invite you to PM me with any questions you may have. In my opinion, it would be better for you to get all of the facts before posting comments that have a negative persuasion. I look forward to hearing from you.

A

aluma

My name is Juan Aluma. I am the vice president of Caribbean Vacation Properties S.A. We are the owners and developers of Watermark. Watermark is NOT the firm. It is the name of the building. The building was originally named "Symphony" but we decided to change the name to "Watermark" although I belive we still have the old billboard in place. The building was designed by Sara Garcia and will be sold as Fractional, NOT a vacation club, as many have speculated in this forum. The difference between a vacation club and Fractional Timeshare is that in a Fractional arrangement, you actually OWN a portion of your unit. A vacation club is essentially a pre-paid vacation, and once you have exhausted your weeks, you no longer own anything.

We have not started to actively sell Watermark because quite frankly, we are not interested in pre-selling our project. Our project will be offered to the public once it is completelly finished. We are also not worried about deadlines because at this time, by not having sold anything, we have nobody to answer to but ourselves.

Caribbean Vacation Properties also OWNS all of the properties listed on our website with the exception of two villas. This alone should be a good indication of our size. Because we own and thus, manage, a very large portfolio of luxury properties and have a dedicated team of professionals, we have started to offer our property management services to other upscale luxury villa owners, condominium associations, and developers.

In addition to Watermark, our development division is also working on 4 large projects on the North Coast. Our company is solid and boasts an impecable reputation on all levels. All of our principals and top management staff members have extensive experience in the areas of real estate and property management. Unlike some developers sprouting all over the North Coast with questionable credentials and under-capitalized, we are a company with a proven track record that is self financed. We invite anyone who would like to get more information about us or any of our projects to visit our offices in Puerto Plata, or Sosua.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
PM's

I appreciate the clarifications and will communicate with NJGuy through a PM as he has requested.

For the record though, there is no confusion on my part about the public perceptions of other properties owned/managed by the group in Florida, about vacation clubs, about the difference between fractional ownership and timeshare, nor about what is readily available in public records regarding some of the principals in the group.

Let's hope this is a great project and all live happily ever after.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
... Our project will be offered to the public once it is completelly finished.

Aluma,
It appears someone is marketing the property already...
Beachfront Condo in Cabarete $60,000 for Sale - Dominican Republic Real Estate

Do you mind saying what % ownership the $60k buys? Also, how you see it making sense for the buyer? I can understand how it makes sense to do it this way for the developer/owner.

I've seen one other group attempting to sell fractional ownerships here in Cabarete...

They have listed on internet to sell 25% ownership in a Cabarete East condo at $95000... or about $380k for a unit. Similar units are on the market for under $300k.

Also, 25% corporate interest in an Ocean One apartment listed for $115000. That's about $460k overall, with those units listing for sale in mid $300's without the shared ownership plan.

It appears to me (correct me if I'm seeing it wrong) as a concept that lets people 'own a piece' of something they couldn't otherwise afford, but typically at a high premium for buying in.

A

aluma

A realtor who contacted us before we broke ground listed Watermark. I have contacted him and he will be removing the ad.

The answer to all of your other questions are found on the project's website WatermaK

We are currently not pre-selling our units and we reserve the right to change our program and price structure. Once our building is completed, we will update our website with any and all changes and we will officially launch our offering.

At that time I will be able to answer any and all questions relating to Watermark.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Fractional ownership

CFA-fractional ownership is a widely accepted alternative to whole ownership worldwide and is offered by Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, and many other high end to upper middle end hotel brands as well as private developers.

Airplanes, yachts, etc. have been fractionalized as well and, while there is a premium for purchasing this way, it has been popular among people who could otherwise afford whole ownership but who do not want to tie up their capital for property that is not used all year.

Developers provide furnished units, the marketing costs are higher, and the risk can be considered higher--these factors drive up the prices.

I never had any problem with the concept--so long as the execution is there. Obviously I do not speak for this group--but the concept of fractional ownership is well-established. In fact, it is a solid reality--no longer just a concept.