recycling in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
If anybody in town throws out plastic 1-gallon jugs/ containers (bleach, muriatic acid, shampoo, vinegar, ect.) let me know. I am looking to recycle them into planting containers for seedlings. OR if you know of someone or a business that does.
If I can find a whole lot of them I will trade plants/ flowers in exchange.
Will pick up on regular basis.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Basically this is an easy process.
I am not going to melt the plastic. I will first cut the top's off, then sterilize them. Cut weep holes in the bottom, add medium, plant seedlings and store/ care. It's a poor mans nursery, but effective. The sun is so brutal on plastic, store bought planting containers get brittle and crack. Plastic plant baggies from Ochoa, on average get used twice before stretching and tearing. So, I find this method of re-using (a form of recycling) most beneficial for the long haul.
I will need for starters around 100. So, this is why I posted, for a little help from the community.
I wish I had the resources/ time for a full fledged recycling operation. Up here in the campo I pick up bag after bag off my lawn from distant neighbors. There idea of trash removal from their property/ homes is to either throw it over the wall onto my property, throw it in the road or burn it. Once a week I have to put up with toxic fumes blowing around and settling on my finca. Not good for the environment, my family, my dogs and our numerous horses.
Anyways......
Looking for containers here, any givers?

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Sorry DOMINICAN BOY I am looking for 1 gallon jugs, not 5. Maybe next year I will be ready to transplant into larger containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.