babies born in DR

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hi,
If an English girl and Dominican guy have a baby in DR, what nationality would the baby have? Would they get an English and Dominican passport? Would the baby be able to travel with the mum with no visa?

If the same baby is born in UK, what nationality would the baby have then?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Children born here are Dominican, if one of the parents is a legal resident or citizen. If the other parent's home country permits it, the child can also obtain his/her nationality.
My children are both US and Dominican. However, it varies with each nation.
As for traveling with the baby, there are certain requirements.
If the parents are married, then the non-traveling parent must grant permission for the infant to travel--in theory at least.
If they are not married, and the infant has, say a British passport, there is certainly no need for any visa. The child leaves the DR and enters UK on the UK Passport. No problem, since it is traveling with the mother. However, I do think that a letter of permission will be needed for the infant to travel with just one parent...so me thinks..
If the baby were to be born in the UK, it would be subject to the UK laws of citizenship, of which I can truly say I am blissfully ignorant!

HB

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A baby born to a British parent in the DR and registered at the British consulate will receive a British passport.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
And I think I am correct in saying that, should those children born in the DR continue to live here and subsequently have children of their own, they would be solely Dominican. Only by returning to the UK for the birth of the baby could the parent claim British nationality for that child.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's correct, or at least it was eight years ago when I was making the decision whether to travel home for my son's birth.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The expat women I know who found themseves pregnant by Dominicans all chose to go to their home countries for the birth. They were all from different countries such as USA,Canada,Italy and Belgium. Their reasons were all different but mostly they went home for the medical care, insurance and citizen reasons.
Good Luck and best wishes in whatever you decide to do.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
2 questions:

1. Would that baby, if born in the UK, also have Dominican citizenship too? Between the UK and the DR are they able to have dual citizenship?

2. If the mother is a British citizen, married to a Dominicano but whom both have Permanent Residency in Canada and the mother would be having the baby in Canada - what would the baby be?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
1. A baby born in the UK to a Dominican parent and a British parent is automatically entitled to Dominican citizenship BUT they MUST register him/her at the British embassy in London in the first SIX months (please double-check this).

Otherwise the legal process back in the DR is a little less straightforward, but doable.

We finally got the child formerly known as "El Ilegal" registered as Dominican when he was four years old. He was born on UK territory but we brought him back to the DR at the age of three months thinking we could just register him normally here, but this turned out not to be the case.

2. I'm not familiar with Canadian laws but presumably the child would be automatically entitled to Canadian nationality? The parents would have to register the birth at their respective consulates if they wanted him/her to have their nationalities.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes chiri is right any child born in Canada would be Canadian.

Check the rules in each province for registration. For Ontario click here

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Correction to my post above:
A baby born in the UK to a Dominican parent and a British parent is automatically entitled to Dominican citizenship BUT they MUST register him/her at the Dominican embassy in London in the first SIX months (please double-check this).

Not enough coffee... :)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
And I think I am correct in saying that, should those children born in the DR continue to live here and subsequently have children of their own, they would be solely Dominican. Only by returning to the UK for the birth of the baby could the parent claim British nationality for that child.

OK let me get this right....if a British woman has a baby in the DR and registers them at the British embassy in the DR to obtain a British passport for the baby - that makes the child a British citizen. In effect they would now have dual citizenship (Dominican/British).

If that child chose to stay in the DR and have kids of their own, what you're saying is that their children cannot obtain dual citizenship and a British passport even though their mother is a British citizen unless their mother flies to England to give birth - is that correct? :ermm:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
He was born on UK territory but we brought him back to the DR at the age of three months thinking we could just register him normally here, but this turned out not to be the case.

What happened, if I may ask? I mean I read the thread about El ilegal becoming legal, but I can't recall reading why the registration wasn't smooth when he was 3 months old. I'm exploring the possibility of becoming a mom this year and I'd like to register my baby down there without it costing me an eye and half the other, as it would cost me if I did it here or in Madrid (as far as I know, will check that out of course).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
By the time we were back in the DR it was past the normal registration deadline so we were looking at a declaraci?n tard?a with the added complication that he was born abroad, so it involved paperwork and additional expense. In your case, your simplest and least expensive option would be to register him at the nearest DR consulate. Good luck!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi,
If an English girl and Dominican guy have a baby in DR, what nationality would the baby have? Would they get an English and Dominican passport? Would the baby be able to travel with the mum with no visa?

If the same baby is born in UK, what nationality would the baby have then?

If an English girl and a Dominican guy have a baby in the DR, the nationality of the baby is DOMINICAN.

Now: You can go to the UK Consul and have your child declared an Englishman or woman by having the record of birth dully declared as in-transit in the DR (this paperwork will be provided by the DR's side).

Even if your child is born in the UK to at least one Dominican citizen, the same applies backwards and even more: Any child born overseas to a Dominican citizen (male) can claim their parental citizenship in the Dominican Republic!!! The only limit of this citizenship is that the person will not be able to hold the office of the president or vice in the DR, neither be a commanding general of the Armed Forces at time of war (peace is ok).

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
OK let me get this right....if a British woman has a baby in the DR and registers them at the British embassy in the DR to obtain a British passport for the baby - that makes the child a British citizen. In effect they would now have dual citizenship (Dominican/British).

If that child chose to stay in the DR and have kids of their own, what you're saying is that their children cannot obtain dual citizenship and a British passport even though their mother is a British citizen unless their mother flies to England to give birth - is that correct? :ermm:

Yes, to my knowledge, that is exactly the case.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Just to confirm from my original post.....my baby was born in DR (British mum and Dominican dad) He has dual nationality. He has a Dominican birth certificate and a British passport. Never had any problems.

Now, a new question......I am back in UK with my son. There are no problems, but I would like to get him a British birth certificate. How do I get a british birth certificate for him????

Thanks.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Even if you have dual citizenship, a birth certificate is ONLY from the country you were born in since it is basically a paper that records your birth.

Enjoy you baby, they grow too fast :)