Toronto - New resident needs leads on employment

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
If any Toronto board readers have leads on jobs and/or housing in Toronto please PM me.

I'm trying to help a friend who just arrived from Santo Domingo to find a job, housing and friends here in Toronto.

Very Advanced level: English speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Bachelor of Arts Tourism Services.
High level of competency with computers.
Cordial, polite, excellent telephone manner.

Administrative experience, sales, marketing, supervisory skills.

Is willing to take any job.

Housing: Needs shared accommodation around $400. a month.
Polite, clean, organized, quiet.

Thanks! Of course if you have any general advice for all new arrivals, please post it for all to read.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I've found some very good locations on viewit.ca

You can choose the particular area you are interested in living close to, as well there are pictures of every place.

A lot nicer places than usually listed in the newspaper columns.

If they are looking for a job immediately and can't find anything (this is the time of year companies start doing their big cut backs..not a great time to find a job)..I would recommend temp agencies to start out with. They can continue to look as they are working at a temp agency. But temp agencies usually come up with work really quickly, and most jobs have a possibility of full time.

Agencies I'm familiar with, or have heard good things about are Adecco, Ideal Personnel, Apple One...etc.

Try posting resume (make sure resume is "user friendly") on sites like monster.ca, workopolis.com, jobbank.gc.ca ....etc.

In the mean time research companies that they would enjoy working at. Go to their websites and check the Career or About Us section for available positions. If nothing is showing at the moment, send resume anyways for future possibilities.

Unless this is something they want to do..do NOT get sucked into telemarketing companies that advertise in the newspaper as customer service jobs. Or those jobs listed in the paper that talk about making 1.000-2,000$ per week from home by stuffing envelopes...they all request that you send them money first to get started....Just be careful with what you find advertised in the papers!!!

Hope some of this helps! :)

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks!

I've found some very good locations on viewit.ca

You can choose the particular area you are interested in living close to, as well there are pictures of every place.

A lot nicer places than usually listed in the newspaper columns...

Agencies I'm familiar with, or have heard good things about are Adecco, Ideal Personnel, Apple One...etc.

Hope some of this helps! :)

Thanks, alicious. It certainly helps, always good to learn from someone rather than reinventing the wheel.

Here are the links to the agencies and housing sites.

Employment Agencies
Adecco/

Ideal Personnel

Apple One/

Housing
View it

Craigs List

He's already using the job sites before his arrival in Canada.
For the non-profit sector Charity Village is another site.

But always, who you know and expanding your network is often the key to finding a job. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I'd just like to say thanks to LauraP, domingodeb and FiestaMama (and your wonderful Dominican husband) for your offers of assistance and your kindness.

My friend returned to Santo Domingo after 26 days of Canadian winter and job hunting. He found a position but sadly his mother-in-law died shortly after he arrived here while undergoing surgery and he had to return home to be with his family.

A good man, a good friend. Marcelo your place is empty here!

One more reason why I have to move to the Dominican Republic...

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Let me know, ....

and I'll move with ya!! LOL - I wish!!:bunny::bunny:

Anyway, my condolences on the passing of his mother-in-law. Very sad!

I just saw my brother for the 1st time on Sunday since my return from the DR. If Marcelo decides to go back, pm me and I'll send my brother's email. He had absolutely agreed to send along job leads, etc.

I'd just like to say thanks to LauraP, domingodeb and FiestaMama (and your wonderful Dominican husband) for your offers of assistance and your kindness.

My friend returned to Santo Domingo after 26 days of Canadian winter and job hunting. He found a position but sadly his mother-in-law died shortly after he arrived here while undergoing surgery and he had to return home to be with his family.

A good man, a good friend. Marcelo your place is empty here!

One more reason why I have to move to the Dominican Republic...

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks LauraP! I'll let him know that.

I recently came into contact with another Dominican job seeker who needs a hand up (my ESL student). He's looking for construction, factory, office cleaning etc. Very nice young man, newly-arrived who needs a break. Currently working on a very short-term contract.

If any of you have contacts or addresses for agencies for construction, factory work etc., please post them here! Thanks!

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Margaret

Employer Name: WORKPRO Staffing Services
Employer Address: 304-701 Evans Ave

They seem to have quite a few light factory/packaging positions. Some temporary and some not.

I'll ask around for more.
Laura

I recently came into contact with another Dominican job seeker who needs a hand up (my ESL student). He's looking for construction, factory, office cleaning etc. Very nice young man, newly-arrived who needs a break. Currently working on a very short-term contract.

If any of you have contacts or addresses for agencies for construction, factory work etc., please post them here! Thanks!

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Hi there

Right now Im not quite sure if the Operation Manager is looking for someone to work with the front desk team. We are in downtown Toronto. Normaly this place hire for staff for summer or full year.

Can send his resume Fax (416)977-6323 att. Steve Morris

Ps: Keep in mind that hotel are way different here, hotel in the city are not resort oriented. Most hotel wont value his experience and languages that had overseas. Here has to start from ground zero again.

I went to many interviews before and all they have against me was to say "You dont have Canadian experience" so if this person is willing to take the job if any opening for the summer at any hotel, it would be a plus for his resume. also see hcareers: Hospitality Jobs in Canada, Restaurant, Resort & Hotel Jobs not need to sign up for the web search.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Job Bank

Sorry forgot this one, tell him to try the HRDC site. Lots of jobs, mostly permanent.

Bienvenue au Guichet emplois / Welcome to Job Bank

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Employer Name: WORKPRO Staffing Services
Employer Address: 304-701 Evans Ave

They seem to have quite a few light factory/packaging positions. Some temporary and some not.

I'll ask around for more.
Laura
Thanks Laura.

Here'e the Web site: WORKPRO STAFFING SERVICES

Kitchener and Toronto area!

Thanks Ladybird! There are a lot good people on this board, it never ceases to amaze me how helpful members are with total strangers.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Yes I know you are strange. LOL, but I hope you find work for them both, especially the latter because of his circumstances. Looks like you are getting some great responses, good luck. xx

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks!

Right now Im not quite sure if the Operation Manager is looking for someone to work with the front desk team. We are in downtown Toronto. Normaly this place hire for staff for summer or full year.

Can send his resume Fax (416)977-6323 att. Steve Morris

Ps: Keep in mind that hotel are way different here, hotel in the city are not resort oriented. Most hotel wont value his experience and languages that had overseas. Here has to start from ground zero again.

I went to many interviews before and all they have against me was to say "You dont have Canadian experience" so if this person is willing to take the job if any opening for the summer at any hotel, it would be a plus for his resume. also see hcareers: Hospitality Jobs in Canada, Restaurant, Resort & Hotel Jobs not need to sign up for the web search.

I will email this information to him as he is now in Santo Domingo. He quickly encountered the "You don't have Canadian experience." barrier and he was willing to start from the bottom. It's hard to relocate, leave your family, face the winter here, job barrier AND then get horrible news from back home. I don't want to say too much about him, or I'll lose a friend. :paranoid: But thanks for sharing that contact, who knows maybe someone else will make use of it.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
relocate and home sick

This not only happen to Dominicans,

I dont know the USA but here in Toronto I met a few person that went back to DR or back to their country of origin for number 1- home sick and difficult to find a job. I think that Immigration Canada should give a fiance visa or if someone is sponsoring before a relative if any of the mentioned before pass all the security background check the Canada Immigration should give then a
6 month work/student visa till the person settle to find out if the would like it here or not.

The latin community is not big enough still. I used to work with a guy that was living here in Canada for many years I didnt know till one day I told him that I was moving to Canada, He was telling me many things about his time living here then I asked him why he wasnt living in Canada he only say that was more for his family that he went back to Dominican Rep.

I will email this information to him as he is now in Santo Domingo. He quickly encountered the "You don't have Canadian experience." barrier and he was willing to start from the bottom. It's hard to relocate, leave your family, face the winter here, job barrier AND then get horrible news from back home. I don't want to say too much about him, or I'll lose a friend. :paranoid: But thanks for sharing that contact, who knows maybe someone else will make use of it.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
This not only happen to Dominicans,

I dont know the USA but here in Toronto I met a few person that went back to DR or back to their country of origin for number 1- home sick and difficult to find a job. I think that Immigration Canada should give a fiance visa or if someone is sponsoring before a relative if any of the mentioned before pass all the security background check the Canada Immigration should give then a
6 month work/student visa till the person settle to find out if the would like it here or not.

The latin community is not big enough still. I used to work with a guy that was living here in Canada for many years I didnt know till one day I told him that I was moving to Canada, He was telling me many things about his time living here then I asked him why he wasnt living in Canada he only say that was more for his family that he went back to Dominican Rep.

I agree with you about Immigration here. My ex-husband and I sponsored his parents and after 1 month they were so homesick for their huge family that after 6 months they returned home where they has felt needed and valuable. Here they were totally dependent and helpless; they were senior citizens and they would never be able to integrate here, although they tried very hard.

I know young professionals who qualified under the points system and came with their life's savings and spent it all while they searched for a job. They really felt discrimination and they came to believe that Immigration Canada was running some kind of scam encouraging people to come and live in Canada and spend all their savings from home -- kind of like remittances from abroad, coming into the Canadian economy.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Oh Yes

I can believe it. In Canada it seems to depend on where you come from in order to "get" benefits. I will not say where I know people came from, but they received,( this is not just one case I am talking about), !st year of rent covered, brand new van, 1st year of lease and expenses to OWN a franchise store, complete dental and fast tracked for a family Dr. with all prescriptions covered as well. I could go on and on but point being is here it depends where you are from. O yes and funny enough when you look at the newspapers today it gives stat's on where "most" are from now.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know many immigrants to Canada from many countries(I was a director for an immigrant settlement society) and only those entering the country as refugees get government financial support. Once in the country they can apply for social assistance, just like any other resident of Canada. Other immigrants,independent and family class, can get help with language classes, resume building, translation services, job placement, but for most part they are on their own and have little or no government financial support, so leekvi what you are insinuating is not so.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Say whatever you want

I know many immigrants to Canada from many countries(I was a director for an immigrant settlement society) and only those entering the country as refugees get government financial support. Once in the country they can apply for social assistance, just like any other resident of Canada. Other immigrants,independent and family class, can get help with language classes, resume building, translation services, job placement, but for most part they are on their own and have little or no government financial support, so leekvi what you are insinuating is not so.

I have seen it. And I guess you can tell I do not like it either. All who come here should be treated equal. No and's if's or but's. Funny thing is that one of these "individuals" now has 3 houses!! Amazing huh! In 4 years.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Sad part is that many of those that come to Canada as refugee, they never leave the system once they get used to the easy money, free housing, they wont even make an effort to get a job and pay rent like the any other citizens. For what I see here in Toronto at least 5 Dominican Family not need to be living in Gov. Housing because they are young, they are not sick, they are currently working. Every time I see them on the club with a beer in the hand (It's like look how the Canadian Society pay for the buzz). for the past 5 years that I've seing them in the same status. like them are many here.

Then in other hand you have those one that wants to come in a work visa to work in the farm and Immigration give them a hard time. till their visa will be refuse.

I'm agree about giving a social assitance to someone who is in needs but what I believe if the person is not a senior, if the person has not medical problems. Then the assistance should be only for 1 year either housing or financially.

Blind law and Blind system.

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I know many immigrants also who have never collected a penny from social assistance and refugee applicants who have permission to work and pay taxes. I even know people who are illegal here and pay taxes. I have no problem helping anyone with my tax dollars and yes, I don't approve of scammers either. They ruin the social safety net for those who really need it. And we all know scammers exist. I also see people dancing in the clubs on disablity, working the system every which way.

Getting back the the two Dominicans I was posting about, both are willing to take low paying jobs but living in this city is really expensive. I think if we can personally help people, we should. Not a handout but a hand up. It builds a better community from the ground up.