Huge TGIF & Ambis disco grand openings today.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Congratulations to the new TGIF grand opening in santiago. They had a huge party setup outside today. Good luck to them.
The same night we also have the grand opening of the new Ambis disco (sort of reopening). I hope the Dominican Yorks are relieved to see their sacred disco is being re opened again.
AZB

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Alllllright!!!

I know that I'll get flamed by a few folks on this board for saying this. But I gotta admit, I used to love going to Ambis. Live bands and tons of women anxious for someone to ask them to dance. Always had a lot of fun there.

Vince.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I will never forget my very first night out in Santiago. Some aquaintances took me out to Ambis, being fairly early on a weeknight it was not too crowded, and the people there were about 70% young females hanging out and looking bored.

I asked my new friends if the girls there were hookers and they all just laughed at me.

We decided to continue our tour of Santiago nightlife and the next stop was Casa Blanca. When we arrived the place was empty, not a single girl or customer in sight. We sat down and had some beers and within 15 minutes a huge crowd of girls, all employees showed up, the exact same crowd that had just been at Ambis.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now you guys know why Ambis was so popular among Dominican yorks. This disco was filled with putas and cueros in the back section (bar area).
AZB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
hmmmmm....a tacky american restaurant? i'll pass. I wouldnt go to a TGIF here in the US...why go when in DR? I can microwave food at home if need be.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hmmmmm....a tacky american restaurant? i'll pass. I wouldnt go to a TGIF here in the US...why go when in DR? I can microwave food at home if need be.

TGIF is not the same as in USA. This is DR, we do things differently here. Hint, people just don't go there only for food. Its sort of a social event. then again, you guys won't understand this at all. keep living the robotic life.
AZB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i understand the "event thing" but if anything TGIF is completely the robotic kinda restaurant....i worked at one for about a week when i was in my twenties.

I'd rather go to a GOOD restaurant where the food has some care taken to it...not just thrown into a microwave.

I liken TGIF to McDonalds for adults who dont know food. The steaks arent bad...but ANYTHING else goes to the microwave. (and the the drinks are weak).

and how would TGIF be different in DR? they run a very tight corporate ship. Their training program is very rigorous and coporate....again..robot service

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
and how would TGIF be different in DR? they run a very tight corporate ship. Their training program is very rigorous and coporate....again..robot service

You have obviously never been to TGIF in Santo Domingo.
It has a separate bar attached, people hang out, it's more than just a restaurant. As for the food, yes, it's the normal TGIF, Outback Streakhouse deal.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
heh...sorry..didnt mean to rain on anyones parade. I can sorta see the attraction in the DR. I have to be honest tho..i really hated the couple of weeks i worked for them. Their idea "service" goes against everything I learned working at "fine" establishments. THey have this attitude like "we are going to make you have a good time weather you want to or not". Too chipper and phoney for me.

IT is on the line of applebees, outback etc. Here in NYC i like small indy owned restaurants that are creative and interesting. While in DR...most of my food is home cooked...or i prefer local food. But I do understand that is me while on vacation...i can understand the novelty of an american chain for long termers.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I think the point is, whether you live here or are on vacation, you don't go to TGIF's for the food as much as the atmosphere (which is different than most in the US).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think the point is, whether you live here or are on vacation, you don't go to TGIF's for the food as much as the atmosphere (which is different than most in the US).

thank you.
People are using their american mindset to try to understand what we are talking about here. The TGIF jrzyguy knew in USA and worked in his 20's will not fly in DR. This is a whole different country.
Example: the gold gym experience in atlanta is totally different and not the same as in santiago or in santo domingo. No one even talks to anyone there. On the other hand, its more of a social event here. I work out 50% of the time and BS with people the rest of the time. The women come to attract every man's attention, but dress this way to feel better about themselves. The gold gym in DR is an eye candy for any man. In atlanta, its full of older women with silicon breasts dressed up like young girls. hahahaha. they look so silly. You think the grocery stores in santiago are simply buying food and going home? yeah right you will be surprised, I meet people there and talk for as much as 45 minutes. Oh and people actually dress up go to grocery stores here.
Now if TGIF is going to cost as much as 40% more than in USA (tips and high tax etc), then trust me, people will not go there in sneakers and shorts to just eat a burger. This will be more than just chewing down a steak.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
While in DR...most of my food is home cooked...or i prefer local food. But I do understand that is me while on vacation...i can understand the novelty of an american chain for long termers.

Just stick with the pulpo in Boca Chica!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
it was lambi that got me sick lol

i just dont GET it tho. many people on this thread are ex-pats...so why the facination of a Fridays, Hard Rock etc? didnt you move there to get away from over corporatization etc? why not just retire in orlando fla?

Fridays is just a very very very average chain here in the us. Even if i was living in the DR for 10 years i wouldnt step foot in a place like that.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Fridays is just a very very very average chain here in the us. Even if i was living in the DR for 10 years i wouldnt step foot in a place like that.

Average, yes, but not in the Dominican Republic.

When I go to Santo Domingo, I always try to visit the TGIF in the Acropolis Mall.

When I do go, it is to mingle and have a few drinks. The women that go there are very posh and cultured.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Average, yes, but not in the Dominican Republic.

When I go to Santo Domingo, I always try to visit the TGIF in the Acropolis Mall.

When I do go, it is to mingle and have a few drinks. The women that go there are very posh and cultured.

exactly, people are going more for the socializing and the atmosphere it brings. In the US, most people only go to TGIFs, Applebees, etc.. when they are hungry.

Now, I know that the Applebees, Chilis, Hard Rock, and even Hawaiian Tropics in NYC Times Square have a pretty decent Bar/Lounge crowd going there afterwork for drinking and socializing.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i just dont GET it tho. many people on this thread are ex-pats...so why the facination of a Fridays, Hard Rock etc? didnt you move there to get away from over corporatization etc? why not just retire in orlando fla?

This is a problem, most visitors and tourists don't GET it.
This is what AZB, Ricardo900 and a few of us have been trying to tell posters here.

Leave your American values and what you know at the airport, they just don't apply here, until you do that, you will never understand how this country works. Just except it, despite what you think you know.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
it was lambi that got me sick lol

Don't you read what others post? It's been stated many times that the popularity of places like TGIF's here has nothing to do with the food or their reputation in the US...because they are different than even the "best" local restaurants, they attract a great crowd..and they run them accordingly...