Waterfalls on the North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcmanus

Feb 22, 2008
Hello All,

Just a question about waterfalls on the North Coast. Friends of friends stayed at the Bahia Principe and did a tour to this waterfall:

HTML:
[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3853/waterfallak9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

if that doesn't work you should be able to see it here

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3853/waterfallak9.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knew the name of these falls and if there are any tours operating out of Puerto Plata to get there. Thanks for the help.

One other question while I'm on actually...nice restaurant recommendations for Puerto Plata...thinking along the lines of a nice dinner date context??

Thanks again

McManus

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hello All,

Just a question about waterfalls on the North Coast. Friends of friends stayed at the Bahia Principe and did a tour to this waterfall:

HTML:
[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3853/waterfallak9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

if that doesn't work you should be able to see it here

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3853/waterfallak9.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knew the name of these falls and if there are any tours operating out of Puerto Plata to get there. Thanks for the help.

One other question while I'm on actually...nice restaurant recommendations for Puerto Plata...thinking along the lines of a nice dinner date context??

Thanks again

McManus

I was unable to click on the link but suspect you may be referring to the Damajagua Falls in Imbert. (Las Cascadas 27, approximately 45mins west of Puerto Plata). I cant think of the name of the company offering this excursion (sure there are multiple?) but will try and get back to you on that.

Enjoy!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
All of the tour operator companies offer tours to these falls as part of the whole jeep safari tour. Just walk on over to the plaza at Playa Dorada (if you're staying in that complex). There are several tour operators all competing hard for your business. Please note that your hotel may also be selling this same tour excursion at 2-3 times the price as the independent tour operators. But the falls are wonderful! Enjoy yourself.

As for dinner in POP, depends on what type of food you like. I know a great place for fresh lobster cooked any way you like.

Mcmanus

Feb 22, 2008
Thank you to those who replied.

I was interested in this waterfall because of the people jumping from it in the picture. Looks like a lot of fun. Heading to a condo in Costambar in 2 weeks with my girlfriend and just looking for stuff to do other then sightsee in PP or head up Mount Isabel (both of which we will do of course). This will be my 6th or 7th time visiting and I have never seen either the whales in Samana or any of the waterfalls.

I have read some of the posts regarding the behaviour of one of the tour guides and should we end up visiting this location I shall keep my eyes and ears open.

As I am not staying in a resort I was wondering if there was a reputable company in downtown PP that I could contact regarding arranging a tour....

As for a restaurant...neither of us are big Lobster fans but aren't picky eaters either...just looking for someplace...should I say with a romantic ambiance...

Thanks again for the help,

Dave

Caz

May 15, 2004
A nice restaurant in Puerto Plata is Quo Vadis on Av. Luis Ginebra across the road from the chinese restaurant near the courthouse. Nice setting in a big old house set back from the road in gardens - good food too.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Another restaurant I enjoy is La Parillada (I think that's how you spell it). It's located right by the round-a-bout across from a car rental agency (which is on the corner). I truly apologize for not knowing the names of any streets (I've got to get better at that).

The lobster place is La Ponderosa. If interested, send me a PM and I will get you the exact locations of both.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Highly Recommend 27 Charcos - just went yesterday!

Thank you to those who replied.

I was interested in this waterfall because of the people jumping from it in the picture. Looks like a lot of fun. Heading to a condo in Costambar in 2 weeks with my girlfriend and just looking for stuff to do other then sightsee in PP or head up Mount Isabel (both of which we will do of course). This will be my 6th or 7th time visiting and I have never seen either the whales in Samana or any of the waterfalls.

I have read some of the posts regarding the behaviour of one of the tour guides and should we end up visiting this location I shall keep my eyes and ears open.

As I am not staying in a resort I was wondering if there was a reputable company in downtown PP that I could contact regarding arranging a tour....

As for a restaurant...neither of us are big Lobster fans but aren't picky eaters either...just looking for someplace...should I say with a romantic ambiance...

Thanks again for the help,

Dave

Dave:

We just went to 27 Waterfalls yesterday from Sosua. What a fantastic day trip! There were 4 of us (3 guys, 1 girl, all fairly fit) and I have to say it's worth it to do all 27 falls (you have the option of choosing to complete 7, 12, or all 27 falls. I say this only if you're in pretty good shape, as there are some falls you have to climb up using a rope to pull yourself up while your feet try to find traction through the waterfall itself and lots of places you're doing a lot of fairly taxing climbing.

Rather than spend up to $75 per person using a tour (most tours don't even do all 27 falls - only the first 7 or 12), I would suggest doing what we did. Hop on a GuaGua (in our case it was from Sosua) to Puerto Plata, stop at the Javilla Tours bus stop, and ask for the bus to 27 Charcos. It's easy and only 50 pesos per person from Javilla in POP to the Falls. The bus drops you off on the roadside by the sign for 27 Charcos, so you have maybe a quarter mile walk to the entry. There's a customer counter where you can pay your entrance fee and get your guide. Doing it this way it's only 460 pesos per person to do all 27 Falls.

They'll even put your bag (if you bring a change of clothes) in a locked closet behind the counter for you to pick up when you're done. We didn't have anything of value in it, so left it and retrieved it at the end without any trouble.

Our guide was great - no problems like mentioned in other posts. Hopefully you don't have any fear of heights as one of the jumps is about 30 feet up and another two were in the 15-20 foot range. We didn't see anybody chicken out - everybody seemed game no matter the difficulty level and the guides ensured you always knew where to place your hand or foot while climbing as well as where to jump to ensure your safety (plus you wear helmets and life jackets at all times).

Things to remember:
1. Don't bring anything past the customer counter that you don't want to get wet.
2. Wear comfortable and tough shoes (My husband wore water socks and they were destroyed by the end of the trek. Even our friend's sneakers were coming apart at the seams from all the rock climbing and walking in water)
3. Bring your sense of adventure!
4. Be sure to tip your guide if you're pleased with the tour.

The falls are fantastic and we had a great time. I highly recommend it!

Enjoy your trip!
Amy

Mcmanus

Feb 22, 2008
Hi All,

Thanks again for the replies. Very impressed with how helpful people are in this community. Regarding the restaurants, we shall definitely make an attempt to get to one or two that have been mentioned.

Thank you Amy for the very informative post regarding getting to/ costs/ and tips for the falls. This sounds exactly like something we want to do (both of us are varsity athletes back here in Canada and love adventure). Just one other question for you...would bringing a camera in a waterproof/shockproof case be ok? Do you have the opportunity to stop on dry land to take pictures of these falls or is it all in the water? Thanks

Dave

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi All,

would bringing a camera in a waterproof/shockproof case be ok? Do you have the opportunity to stop on dry land to take pictures of these falls or is it all in the water? Thanks

Dave
Only if you are able to strap it onto yourself.
You need your hands free most of the time.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
There are lots of spots to stop and take photos, so it would be great if it's waterproof. In fact, the group ahead of us had a video camera (not waterproof) that one of the guides was carrying above water for them (I wouldn't do it myself - rather have both the guide's hands free for help when needed). :)

Rocky's right on the money - make sure it has a strap because you'll need both your hands free most of the way.

We didn't bring a camera but next time we go we'll bring a disposable waterproof one just for snapshots since it is a great photo op.

Enjoy!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
La Parillada is on THE big roundabout opposite old baseball stadium & new Courts. Ponderosa is on 12 de Julio not far from the everything for 10 pesos store.

Thanks Lambada for rescuing my attempt to tell about those two restaurants. Today I was driving by both of them and noted the streets and landmarks nearby and ws planning to update my post. You beat me to the punch so thanks again.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Dave:

We just went to 27 Waterfalls yesterday from Sosua. What a fantastic day trip! There were 4 of us (3 guys, 1 girl, all fairly fit) and I have to say it's worth it to do all 27 falls (you have the option of choosing to complete 7, 12, or all 27 falls. I say this only if you're in pretty good shape, as there are some falls you have to climb up using a rope to pull yourself up while your feet try to find traction through the waterfall itself and lots of places you're doing a lot of fairly taxing climbing.

Rather than spend up to $75 per person using a tour (most tours don't even do all 27 falls - only the first 7 or 12), I would suggest doing what we did. Hop on a GuaGua (in our case it was from Sosua) to Puerto Plata, stop at the Javilla Tours bus stop, and ask for the bus to 27 Charcos. It's easy and only 50 pesos per person from Javilla in POP to the Falls. The bus drops you off on the roadside by the sign for 27 Charcos, so you have maybe a quarter mile walk to the entry. There's a customer counter where you can pay your entrance fee and get your guide. Doing it this way it's only 460 pesos per person to do all 27 Falls.

They'll even put your bag (if you bring a change of clothes) in a locked closet behind the counter for you to pick up when you're done. We didn't have anything of value in it, so left it and retrieved it at the end without any trouble.

Our guide was great - no problems like mentioned in other posts. Hopefully you don't have any fear of heights as one of the jumps is about 30 feet up and another two were in the 15-20 foot range. We didn't see anybody chicken out - everybody seemed game no matter the difficulty level and the guides ensured you always knew where to place your hand or foot while climbing as well as where to jump to ensure your safety (plus you wear helmets and life jackets at all times).

Things to remember:
1. Don't bring anything past the customer counter that you don't want to get wet.
2. Wear comfortable and tough shoes (My husband wore water socks and they were destroyed by the end of the trek. Even our friend's sneakers were coming apart at the seams from all the rock climbing and walking in water)
3. Bring your sense of adventure!
4. Be sure to tip your guide if you're pleased with the tour.

The falls are fantastic and we had a great time. I highly recommend it!

Enjoy your trip!
Amy

Amy, sounds like you guys really had a fantastic time at the waterfalls. Thats really good to hear. Back in the day when I did the falls, they didn't even issue helmets nor lifejackets and I'm deathly afraid of deep water!!
I am a little curious as to who gave you a price of $75 per person; that's highway robbery. I know for a fact several tour operators who charge much less than that for the full 27. Possibly a tour desk at a resort maybe? Anyway, glad you had fun. Do it again and post some pictures.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
trabajadora:

Yep, we had a blast! The $75/pp quote was from Iguana Mama's website. You can review it here:

Iguana Mama - Mountain Biking, Hiking & Ecological Adventures

They say they go up all 27, but while we were chatting with our guide, Moreno, he said they don't go all the way up, so I can't say for sure.

Next time we'll take pics and post (any excuse to go back and do it again!) ;)

Take Care,
Amy

O.K., and better you than me. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.