Catholic Church Says Polluting = Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Goodness Gracious, the Catholic Church has added Environmental Pollution as a Mortal Sin in an updated list of what the Church considers a sin. Wow, this will change things I think. How do I NOT talk religion while asking Chip if this will influence the Catholics in the DR whatsoever?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I for one, won't go directly to you know where, for polluting!

I think careful examination of the report does not say if it is considered a 'mortal' sin or a 'venial' sin..........but I doubt if the 'all powerful' would send all us poor folk for eternity in hell(o) because I threw a spent battery in the landfill........:cheeky::bunny:

What about driving my car to mass on Sunday....am I gonna' go down there for that??!!

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Goodness Gracious, the Catholic Church has added Environmental Pollution as a Mortal Sin in an updated list of what the Church considers a sin. Wow, this will change things I think. How do I NOT talk religion while asking Chip if this will influence the Catholics in the DR whatsoever?

Honestly I don't think so. I would expect that 99 percent of the politicians now are Catholics - and can you tell me that the excuse "well everbody else was stealing" will really fly at the pearly gates, given how many people have suffered because of their indulgences? Yet they continue, unashamed of their greed.

As far as other countries, I think it can only help for those in positions of power, public and private who think that production and profit are the only things that are important, as opposed to leaving one's "room" cleaner than one found it for the next guy.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chip, I know very little about this, so, a simple question, perhaps a stupid one .. Is it a common thing for the Church to involve itself in such 'wordly' issues? It is almost as if they are Legislating the issue. Hmmm, I've just realized, those that are violently against the concept of climate change, and are catholics, may just have a problem.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Let's hope they have more success in getting people to observe this new teaching than they've had with all the old ones... Otherwise they'll need to up the staffing levels in hell.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I was wondering when the Church would promote environmentla protection of the world which God made. I am happy to see it. To me, it only makes sense that in not defiling God?s handiwork, his Children will show respect for what they have been given. During my religion courses years ago I made this argument in various papers, more in the form of a challenge from a non-Catholic than that of a church- goer. As an agnostic, I applaud the decision from the standpoint that it can promote taking care of this world before going on to the next. A very pragmatic move by the church that could see results in the here and now.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I believe that Chris' point is that they are saying it's a mortal sin.
Mortal sins, according to the Catholic church, are the ones that guarantee you an eternity in hell.
If you manage to confess to a priest before dying, then you'd be ok.
If not, burn, burn, burn......

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you manage to confess to a priest before dying, then you'd be ok.

Darn, I forgot about this part. I had visions of all Church members becoming good environmentalists, but alas, Rocky, you woke me up from my dream. ;)

Anyway, let's be careful here, I really don't want this thread to discuss religion. And if you believe in a next life, many on the board do not. We have many different belief sets here. So, do not discuss religion .. it is not allowed on the board as it causes wars and makes the moderators mad as it gives them too much work.

As another poster said, I thought it was a pragmatic move by the Catholic Church and never thought that we would see such a move by a Church.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Im not religious in any way.......But lets relate this to the DR, where a large % of the population is catholic. If this in any way will change some of how they recycle, it can only be a good thing there. If anything that appals me when visiting, that would be it. Much litter on streets and in the early am on the beach after drifting in over night. And not to mention no recycling what so ever of glass, plastic, paper.
A great business venture , with someone with casholla.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I know very little about this, so, a simple question, perhaps a stupid one .. Is it a common thing for the Church to involve itself in such 'wordly' issues? It is almost as if they are Legislating the issue. Hmmm, I've just realized, those that are violently against the concept of climate change, and are catholics, may just have a problem.

I have always been an advocate of trying to put one's beliefs into practices, and the Catholic Church has tried to do this, with varying success over the years. As far as climate changes goes, from a scientific point of view, it isn't generally accepted as fact, nonetheless, there are many other similar related issues we can take care that actually would overlap. To make this DR related, I'm not sure the CC could convince the policy makers to do anything but window dressing, although I do know the Church has spoken out about the corruption here, who knows....

As far as buying indulgences, that is so 15th century - here are the real facts... make note of the reforms made centuries ago, yet somehow people still talk about it if it were happening today!

Myths about Indulgences

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Catholic Church has no monopoly on Natural Law

Another way for the CC to control the people.
I think it will be yet one more reason for people to stop going to the CC.
The first thing the CC taught me was that I have free will.
The last thing I expect from them is to tell me how to exercise my free will.
Some day, everyone will understand that pollution harms mother earth and the environment even if you have no religion.
It's called Natural Law, and the consequences are also natural. You've heard of the Law of Attraction (The Secret) (but it really is simpler than that - you put your keys on the table. Then you put your wallet, then you empty your pockets and eventually the table is full of stuff - attracted by the other stuff there...
It's not nice to fool Mother Nature. mkohn ...sorry 'bout the soap box

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some day, everyone will understand that pollution harms mother earth and the environment even if you have no religion.

It's worked for me :)

As I watched the person in front of me at the supermarket check-out get her smallish amount of shopping packed into about 50 plastic bags this morning, I wondered if I should say something about the Vatican, but on balance, I kept my mouth firmly shut.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Just like someday people will realize killing is harmful to society, right? What makes you think "people" will realize this on their own if we have been messing it up royally for the last 10,000 years? BTW, this has nothing to do with the CC, just your view seems real naive. Next will get rid of all laws and gov't and everybody will do what they want, oh yeah we already did that - Somalia, nice place to visit they tell me. :)

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
From my perspective the 10 commandments are obeyed about the same as the traffic laws in the DR!

Think about it!

OK, bring on the hate mail.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From my perspective the 10 commandments are obeyed about the same as the traffic laws in the DR!

Think about it!

OK, bring on the hate mail.

No doubt, but then again isn't this typical of most places in the world? As far as the CC promoting environmental responsibility, I would think it would be a no brainer to have someone else in the camp to promote the ideals. Then again, since apparently only non Catholics appear to be paying attention anyway, what is the big deal then?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Consider that the countries with the best environmental records are also those where religion is in decline - i.e. western Europe.
I'm sure that there are many sincerely religious people who are also environmentally conscious, but it is also possible to be a moral/environmentally aware person for its own sake, not out of fear of eternal damnation.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Consider that the countries with the best environmental records are also those where religion is in decline - i.e. western Europe.
I'm sure that there are many sincerely religious people who are also environmentally conscious, but it is also possible to be a moral/environmentally aware person for its own sake, not out of fear of eternal damnation.

Actually this is only a very, very recent phenomenom, as most of the flora and fauna of these areas were made extinct by man. Furthermore, I'm 100% sure that the percentage of "clean" rivers and lakes in Europe are less than that of the US. As far as groundwater goes, let us just say, for the most part the public water supply is not potable in the Europe like in the US. Furtheremore, I doubt that EU has spent than a less of a tenth of environmental cleanup activies like the US, ie Superfund, and given that the development in Europe predates the US and has always been more concentrated, needless to say it is a royal mess.

Like I said before, we have had 10,000 years to "awaken", what's our problem then? :)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
A cautionary note, guys & gals: let's not have this thread wander off into "who's better at environmental protection: Europe vs. US" debate, ok?

Keith R
Environment Forum moderator :glasses:

Status
Not open for further replies.