Questions on Boca Chica vs. Sosua

ikelove

Mar 11, 2008
What's up people.

I intend to make a first time visit to DR by myself to Boca Chica sometime in the beginning of June as a single male. What had drawn me to go there was that a friend of mine had gone there by himself in '02 and '04 and he had a blast. I am looking to lie out on the beach, enjoy the nightlife, and meet cool people. After reading the posts on this board extensively, it seems that the consensus is that El Candil or La Costlunga hotels are the most preferable due to their being clean, and guest friendly. What is kind of discouraging is some of the things I am hearing about Boca Chica is that the nightlife isn't as good as it used to be back in the day and the prevalence of prostitutes.

My questions are:
1) are there any normal girls in Boca Chica? I don't mind the prostitute situation if there are some regular girls to balance them out. I know it's a Third World Country and its not easy to make a living.
2) did those who stayed at Boca Chica take advantage of the proximity of Santo Domingo and go there to enjoy the nightlife? Is it easy just to jet over to Santo Domingo? I hear the girls in Santo Domingo are more respectable and professional and the nightlife is great.
3) Is Sosua a better bet to enjoy the nightlife? If so, how comparatively cheaper/more expensive is Sosua to Boca Chica? I heard the girl situation there is similar to Boca Chica, but if the nightlife is better in Sosua, I might switch plans.
4) Like I said earlier, I plan to go in June, but what would discourage me from changing my mind and going to Sosua is the fact that I know it's more likely to rain in June in Sosua that in Boca Chica because Sosua is in the north. Is this true?

I'm thinking since this is my first time and I've never traveled abroad by myself before, that I should go to Boca Chica just to go and relax and and have fun as I'm on a budget and be more picky next time around. However, any suggestions, advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

ikelove

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
#1...you wont find "normal" girls in either place. It IS possible to meet normal girls or guys...but not on a first time.

#2...what i like about BC is the proximity to the capital. IF you speak some spanish and take the guaguas...it is very affordable and fun.

#3 nightlife in BC is lame. About two blocks of chairs and tables. 1 block is more euro's and their families and friends (mainly Italians)..the other block is hooker-ville. It can be kinda fun if you are with friends. But a single guy will be a target.

I normaly defend B.C. from its detractors here. But for some reason I get a feeling that sosua might be better off for you.

Last...you will be traveling durring the slow season. So there wont be many tourists to converse with (i kinda like that...while i do speak so-so spanish..and love to get local...its kinda nice to have some other gringos around).

THe weather should be fine.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Could we all agree that the chicas in BC are overly aggressive, and that the beach water is not clean like in Sosua?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm thinking since this is my first time and I've never traveled abroad by myself before, that I should go to Boca Chica just to go and relax and and have fun as I'm on a budget and be more picky next time around. However, any suggestions, advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

ikelove

Buy a ticket into (POP) and go to Sosua, EVERYTHING is better, food, beach, and chicas than Boca Chica.

tambo'

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Boca chica

I dont know about Sosua but for self experience I wouldnt recomend Boca Chica not even to an enemy.

1- Car are not safe where you park.
2- cant even relax without having vendors all over
3- cant even swim without leaving one person keeping eye on your stuff while you swim. I wont say that doesnt happen in Sosua but I believe that when is about robbery Boca chica is worse.

Night time I can say that this place is heaven for those who are looking for prostitute, Pimps and drug dealers.

Police are out there yes, and know who is who, but they dont care as long they have their cut at the end of the day from any of those mentioned above. that's called "Picoteo"

all is about what you are looking for but chances are very low to meet a decent girl around Boca Chica.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, I did a group trip to Boca Chica back in '02, and haven't been back. On the other hand, I get out to the north coast every 3-4 months or so since 2003. BC is cool for a day trip from the capital, but otherwise, there's really no comparison. Go with Sosua/Cabarete.

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
[/QUOTE]My questions are:
1) are there any normal girls in Boca Chica?[/QUOTE]
NO

[/QUOTE]2) did those who stayed at Boca Chica take advantage of the proximity of Santo Domingo and go there to enjoy the nightlife? [/QUOTE]yes, but it is a pain to drive back at night and gets expensive if you take a cab
[/QUOTE]is it easy just to jet over to Santo Domingo?[/QUOTE]
easy half hour drive...if you're in the mood to drive
[/QUOTE] I hear the girls in Santo Domingo are more respectable and professional and the nightlife is great.[/QUOTE]
Compared with BC, totally!!

[/QUOTE]3) Is Sosua a better bet to enjoy the nightlife?[/QUOTE] In my opinion yes
[/QUOTE]If so, how comparatively cheaper/more expensive is Sosua to Boca Chica? [/QUOTE]Once you get there I tend to think you spend less money in Sousa.... in BC you have a bigger chance of getting scammed a lot more and put in more situations where you will spend money.
[/QUOTE]I heard the girl situation there is similar to Boca Chica, but if the nightlife is better in Sosua, I might switch plans.[/QUOTE]
I think you should. Nightlife is better, girls are better, more things to do other than chica chasing (or avoiding to be more accurate)
[/QUOTE]4) Like I said earlier, I plan to go in June, but what would discourage me from changing my mind and going to Sosua is the fact that I know it's more likely to rain in June in Sosua that in Boca Chica because Sosua is in the north. Is this true?[/QUOTE]Trust me, don't worry about the weather or try to reduce the odds of going when it rains. If it rains, it will stop. Just go.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
BC vs Sosua

Okay, I guess I agree with postings so far, However, I am a 'total' Boca Chica booster! I love it and it is what you make of it.

I've been to Sosua but a number of years back and Puerta Plata (same thing) but Boca Chica always draws me back. I was hoping to go to Mexico this year but back to the BC I go.

My feeling is that the atmosphere and people account for a lot and I love it all (even the 'land sharks').

Of course over time I've made friends there, so that probably changes the dynamics,... OVERall (and to stop blabbing), on a first trip and for what you're looking for, I would probably side with the majority BUT on your next trip PLEASE keep BC in mind.

Whatever your choice, .... have fun!!!!

ikelove

Mar 11, 2008
I really want to thank you for all your help, you guys are very helpful. I am both an introvert and an extrovert. I like spending time alone learning about myself (that's why I chose to go alone and not tell anyone, as I know people would want to come with me), but at the same time I do love going out and meeting people. I just don't want to go to a place that's all inclusive and too touristy, I mean what's the use of going to a foreign country when all you do is mingle with tourists? I do want to mingle with locals, so a nice blend of the two would work. I was just afraid that Sosua would be like Puerta Plata, which I know is where people go to do the all inclusive thing.

Ugh! You guys are not making my choice easy!! lol... If I chose Sosua, what would a good hotel be to stay that's clean and cost effective? Do these hotels provide free transport from the airport? Also, I'm on a budget, would $300 be enough for four days?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
If that $300 (USD?) is meant to cover only your hotel and food bills, sure. Otherwise, you might want to increase your budget somewhat.

Rocky's is a good spot, and I had a good experience in Casa Valeria. Both are well located, though Rocky also has some condos which are much more comfortable, and only slightly more expensive. Do a search on both establishments here, and they'll come up repeatedly.

If you choose BC, I'd recommend Costalunga. That's where I stayed in '02. It was nice, clean, reasonably priced and conveniently located.

ikelove

Mar 11, 2008
If that $300 (USD?) is meant to cover only your hotel and food bills, sure. Otherwise, you might want to increase your budget somewhat.

Rocky's is a good spot, and I had a good experience in Casa Valeria. Both are well located, though Rocky also has some condos which are much more comfortable, and only slightly more expensive. Do a search on both establishments here, and they'll come up repeatedly.

If you choose BC, I'd recommend Costalunga. That's where I stayed in '02. It was nice, clean, reasonably priced and conveniently located.

No, the $300 will cover food and entertainment after I pay for the hotel. Is that enough?

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
both are somewhat Tijuana like sh*tholes, with Sosua having better looking Haitian hookers..

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
both are somewhat Tijuana like sh*tholes, with Sosua having better looking Haitian hookers..
That is only true for those who hang out in sh*tholes full of hookers.
It's probably a waste of time to mention to you that there is more to Sosua than the strip.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I am kinda with everyone on this one. Unless the OP wants to stay in the capital and travel durring the day to get to beaches etc. But since he's only going for 4 days...he probably wants beaches, and to party etc. In june it will be slow season...i think he would have a better time in the North.

But like someone else said...check out BC another time!! (its not nearly as bad as some DR1'rs make it out to be). But the nightlife IS lame.

Its too bad really. Someone could make a bundle if they set up a club with live music and very few hookers.

if you DO speak spanish tho..and have friends and know your way around...there are some really cool night spots in San Andreas. There is a big disco located right on the highway...and my friend has taken me to some of the Patios. BUt i would only do this if you speak the language and have someone around that you trust. (and i doubt you will find a trustworthy person in just a few days on a first visit).

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
That is only true for those who hang out in sh*tholes full of hookers.
It's probably a waste of time to mention to you that there is more to Sosua than the strip.

I agree with you on both points. It seems like Eliot Spitzer's choice in hookers makes some of those trashy hookers in B.C. or Sosua look like th ehuman trash that they are! I am not generalizing- I am talking about the crack heads wandering B.C. wearing filthy clothes totally strung out..