Need Guidance for US Visa for Child-HELP

jcb

Mar 11, 2008
Hi! Need advice on a US Visa for children. My husband & I have a condo in Las Terrenas. Last year on a Mission trip we were introduced to a lovely family. Two children ages 14 & 12 being raised by their elderly grandparents. Niether child knew their mother & the father past away 6 yrs ago. The family is financial poor but spiritual rich. We have become very close to this family. One of our friends who lives in Las Terrenas is paying to send the boy to private school & we are now paying for the girl to attend that school. Both are good students & doing well. We vacation twice a year in the Dr & each time the children stay w/us @ the condo. We wanted to have the children visit the US this summer so paid for passports & hired a lawyer for the Visa. We were all disappointed & sad when they were denied. I had no idea how differcult this would be. We flew down to the DR thinking as Americans we could make this happen. Well not so. They were denied because 1: No family lives in US
2: No parents or family would be flying w/them
Someone @ the US Consulate did tell us a Student Visa may be easier. Does anyone know anything about this or the name of an organization that we could contact. If anyone knows of another way we can try to get a Visa for the children please let me know. These children have been practicing English for a yr & I will not give up. Please help!!!! Need guidance. Thanks

jcb

Mar 11, 2008
yes we have but haven/t talked to the grandmother yet. Thought we would have them visit first & see what happens.

Also, they r a big help to there grandmother. She is in her 70's and depends alot on the girl. The boy is very independent but the girl is always home w/grandmother. Again had no idea how differcult this would be. We were not happy w/the lawyer so would like to as much as we can on our own. Any advice you have would be appreciated.