For Those That Defend Cockfighting...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I have searched the forums and read various opinions on the likes, but I'd like more details and opinions on the topic. Plus some of the threads are old and some people's opinions might have changed. So I've started this thread. I am neither defending nor condemning cockfighting or the "culture" behind it. I would just like some more opinions on it.

For those of you that defend cockfighting can you please explain, as in depth as possible, why you defend and agree with cockfighting? In your answer could some of you please answer to the complaints that some critics have on the sport, which include that it is inhumane, bloody, violent, etc. Though many would cop out and just say "oh, its cultural, and you don't understand!!," I challenge you to provide as concrete and in depth answers as possible.

Thank you...

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Ok I have to ask..............

I have searched the forums and read various opinions on the likes, but I'd like more details and opinions on the topic. Plus some of the threads are old and some people's opinions might have changed. So I've started this thread. I am neither defending nor condemning cockfighting or the "culture" behind it. I would just like some more opinions on it.

For those of you that defend cockfighting can you please explain, as in depth as possible, why you defend and agree with cockfighting? In your answer could some of you please answer to the complaints that some critics have on the sport, which include that it is inhumane, bloody, violent, etc. Though many would cop out and just say "oh, its cultural, and you don't understand!!," I challenge you to provide as concrete and in depth answers as possible.

Thank you...

LOL Sorry but I really can't help myself. Here goes.:cheeky:

What type of cockfighting are you talking about? Are you refering to the birds( i.e male chickens) or the male bird's who argue on this board? This is only a joke so sorry in advance if I offended anyone but had to ask.

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Male Chickens...

LOL Sorry but I really can't help myself. Here goes.:cheeky:

What type of cockfighting are you talking about? Are you refering to the birds( i.e male chickens) or the male bird's who argue on this board? This is only a joke so sorry in advance if I offended anyone but had to ask.

No offense taken, though I'd like to keep the conversation on track...

Thanks

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not for cockfighting even though chickens are about is primitive as they come, and whether they die in a ring or by a poorly sharpened knife or just by wringing it still isn't pretty. Nonetheless, I have a question for you - do you think it will be ever outlawed here? My cu?ado does this every weekend and I can imagine the look on his face if I asked him what he thought.

If for some reason you feel really strongly and are even prepared to do something about it here in the DR, I think it would it would be a better to try to get the education system better funded and managed and at some point you would expect the people here to think beyond their own borders and realize that this primitive practice's time has come.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I can accept cockfighting, no problem. The Dominicans and quite a number of other cultures take great pride in their birds and enjoy the gambling and bragging rights of the winners. And it?s a male bonding thing, much as hunting or fishing are in other places. I accept cock fighting because I would think nothing of eating a chicken, who will be killed on my behalf even though i could eat something else. Other forms of animal fighting I abhore, such as dog fighting, but I don?t put the two species even close in regard to intelligence, the ability to have a relationship with a human or another animal, or usefulness.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

Thank you...

They do it for the same reason that Bull Riding is allow in the State or carrying a gun is legal in Texas or two men can get marry in some places here in the US.

It is just a cultural thing.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Once again I preface these comments by saying that I don't have an opinion either way. To each it's own, but for some who support other blood sports, like bull fighting or even dog fighting, can you defend fighting roosters and not fighting dogs? What makes the Michael Vick case and bull fighting in Spain more egregious and less acceptable than cockfighting? Aren't they all animals?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Once again I preface these comments by saying that I don't have an opinion either way. To each it's own, but for some who support other blood sports, like bull fighting or even dog fighting, can you defend fighting roosters and not fighting dogs? What makes the Michael Vick case and bull fighting in Spain more egregious and less acceptable than cockfighting? Aren't they all animals?
Right or wrong. humans have always accorded more respect to the higher forms of life, thus the difference in attitude between coq and dog fighting.
I'm not stating any position on the matter.
Just answering your question.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

What about boxing. Do you support it?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I wouldn't go to one myself, nor to a bullfight or a fox hunt, but there are far worse things to worry about in this world of ours.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Boxing is not "to the death" cockfighting is...

Boxing has Rules-cockfighting-no rules...

Protective gear worn in boxing to protect vital organs

There are rules in cockfighting.
Some boxers have died after a boxing match and some have ended it up with mental trauma after a long boxing career.

Have you ever go hunting?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Boxing

What about boxing. Do you support it?

Actually, I do support boxing. It's a sport that people participate in willingly. You walk into the ring and walk out of the ring. You know before hand what you are getting into and the risks, and if you choose you can continue. That's my opinion on that. It's a violent sport, but the differentiation here is choice.

All other arguments, I leave up to this board for discussion.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Actually, I do support boxing. It's a sport that people participate in willingly. You walk into the ring and walk out of the ring. You know before hand what you are getting into and the risks, and if you choose you can continue. That's my opinion on that. It's a violent sport, but the differentiation here is choice.

All other arguments, I leave up to this board for discussion.
Again, I'm not stating a position, but the coqs also willingly fight.
You could no more make a coq fight that doesn't want to, than to force a horse to drink water.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
They do it for the same reason that Bull Riding is allow in the State or carrying a gun is legal in Texas or two men can get marry in some places here in the US.

It is just a cultural thing.

As per my original post and request don't resort back to the "it's a cultural thing" argument. Yes, we can blanket things under "culture," and for some it can be a weak defense. I am challenging those who defend cock fighting to give me hard reasoning in defense for it. If you do say it's culture, what aspects of culture? What inherent qualities in this culture do you refer to? etc..

Thank You

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Too funny...
His balls?
His balls are his vital organs?

no not his balls, however those are important..his Kidneys...they wear belts/padding-to protect them..
sorry maybe i was thinking karate...they wear the foam belts!!
my bad Rocky...love that you keep me on my toes...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Life?

Right or wrong. humans have always accorded more respect to the higher forms of life, thus the difference in attitude between coq and dog fighting.
I'm not stating any position on the matter.
Just answering your question.

Can you define "higher forms of life?" I don't ask in a challenging or threatening way, I'm just interested in this in your perspective on life. And in fairness to my original post, you can PM, to keep this thread on topic.