Items to bring to DR from USA to trade???

chris22

Mar 13, 2008
Hello, I'm traveling to Santo Domingo in June. I was told that items< Jeans, tools, or things from the USA in general> are desired in the DR. I was wondering if that is true and if so, what should I bring, and what can I expect on receiving? Thank you for any info. Chris

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
... and what can I expect on receiving?...

A thank you?
If you want to take something back other than fond memories, consider bringing US$. The barter system was outlawed in 2003 under the previous administration, I think.

chris22

Mar 13, 2008
wow, no need to sound rude. I really like the local oil paintings, for example and was looking to barter. Sorry if that offends you. But , thank you for your post all the same.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
am sure CFA123 was not being offensive but there is no
'trade off' situation here chris22. If you bring stuff to DR you give it and don't expect something in return as the trade would not be level however hard you try unless you are trading with other ex-pats. Please don't expect to 'trade' with the locals.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Bring some edible Beef !

Hello, I'm traveling to Santo Domingo in June. I was told that items< Jeans, tools, or things from the USA in general> are desired in the DR. I was wondering if that is true and if so, what should I bring, and what can I expect on receiving? Thank you for any info. Chris

Please bring USDA Prime Beef and I will trade you for the Jeans.

Prime Rib or NY Sirloin strip steaks, will buy lots of rice and beans for the masses.

Where's the Beef ?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
ok, to be nice....honestly, you probably could trade some items for paintings, etc. but i don't know that it's that common. doubt you'd get $ for $ if that's important to you

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Forget it. The people that sell those mass produced items do it for money, not for jeans..This is not Cuba..

In fact, I think most people here would be offended if you attempted to barter for an item....money talks.....

Now, if you really, really are into paintings, there are some galleries that will offer quality, but, once again, they have more money than you do and do not barter at all.
Well, they might barter a Van Gogh or a Cezanne....

Just bring money..

HB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I always bring things to trade..... But all I want in return is a smile.

Me too...I usually end up paying at the airport because my luggage is always "over" and come home pretty "light" I leave everything behind.I couldnt believe the prices of Flip flops in Bavaro, like $7.00 for one pair..where here at Old Navy you get 3 pairs for $5.00.
we just leave almost everything..and to the most unsuspecting people...leaves you with a good feeling.:cheeky: