Are there jobs in Santiago for US citizens?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think a more accurate question would be whether it's hard for expats to find work at a particular income level. After all, you can get a job sweeping trash tomorrow.

That said, it depends on your skill set, ability to speak spanish, and connections within the community. If you're lacking in any of those categories, it'll be pretty tough.

Call centers are a growth industry in Cibao (the region you'll be living in). You might be able to find a decent job, by Dominican standards, there. But regardless, be prepared to take a substantial drop in salary from wherever you come from.

Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Joking aside, there are opportunities, but like a previous poster has said, a whole lot depends on your "skill set"....what and who you know are terribly important.

You will not get a job (besides one in a call center) just for being an American.

HB

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I hear there's a new toilet seat factory looking for staff............;)

Yea, maybe I can get my Dominican puta sucia, puta barata, y puta de un centavo in Santo Domingo to seat on the toilet seat for a trial run after I make it. Me cago en su madre de ella de Santo Domingo
Funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Joking aside, there are opportunities, but like a previous poster has said, a whole lot depends on your "skill set"....what and who you know are terribly important.

You will not get a job (besides one in a call center) just for being an American.

HB

I am not looking for a handout just because I am an American. I could work in a call center or teach english. If the pay is that low in the Dominican Republic then I think I will finish my master and Ph degree here in the USA as to the fact that I am currently a masters degree student in criminal justice here at Florida International University here in Miami, Florida. And retire to the DR one day and buy my a lovely house. I hear that family members have to send money to expats that live in the DR. And I certainly do not want that for myself and my family members are some of the worst creatures on the earth. And they will never financially support me to live in the Dominican Republic nor the USA nor anywhere else.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I hear that family members have to send money to expats that live in the DR.

You hear some strange things.....:cheeky: I honestly don't know a single expat who is being supported by family outside of the DR. Are you sure you're not mixing this up with remittances? (Dominican family members living abroad sending money to their families in DR) - because that happens a lot.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
........I think I will finish my master and Ph degree here in the USA as to the fact that I am currently a masters degree student in criminal justice here at Florida International University here in Miami, Florida. And retire to the DR one day and buy my a lovely house. ....
That's a plan. If you will have those credentials you'd do well to pursue a career in the US. Visit the DR as often as you like and in the end retire with US earned and seasoned retirement assets.

If you move to the DR now and work in a call center or teach English you will never accumulate adequate retirement assets.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Here's an alternative. Visit for the summer (when school's out), or see if there's a way you can pick up internship or fellowship credits by attending one of the many schools out here (Hillbilly is the resident expert on just about everything, but especially education). I'm sure PUCMM or some other school offers (or would like for someone to offer) a "comparative criminal justice" course or something along those lines. That way you further your education, don't throw your career off track, and get a great DR experience at the same time.

Good luck.