Easter Week.....I got questions!

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
www.brothersandsistersonline.com
I've been traveling to RD for about 10 years and the one significant weekend I haven't been on the island is Easter Weekend. Over the years I've heard so much about this particular week/weekend (some tragic things.....many accidents, drowning, etc.). Now I perfectly understand if folks are careless/irresponsible then bad things happen.....as does everywhere in the world. From a broader view, I want to know what makes Easter (for the locals) one of the most anticipated weeks/weekends next to xmas.

If this (Easter) week has just grown into a monster of a good time on its own I understand. Is there something about kids being off from school, working adults on vacation, etc. that just makes this one big party week? Is there more to it? Why do so many locals make the trek to resorts (many which are booked to capacity) during Easter Week as opposed to other weeks/weekends?

Let me also say that I love RD.....its people, music, culture. Thousands of Dominicans at beaches, etc. are ok by me as I'm ok with crowds of people having a good time. What should I expect in Punta Cana....I'm arriving Friday March 21 until March 24? I'm simply going to put "Easter Weekend" on my travel resume.

I appreciate any insight you can provide? Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've been traveling to RD for about 10 years and the one significant weekend I haven't been on the island is Easter Weekend. Over the years I've heard so much about this particular week/weekend (some tragic things.....many accidents, drowning, etc.). Now I perfectly understand if folks are careless/irresponsible then bad things happen.....as does everywhere in the world. From a broader view, I want to know what makes Easter (for the locals) one of the most anticipated weeks/weekends next to xmas.

If this (Easter) week has just grown into a monster of a good time on its own I understand. Is there something about kids being off from school, working adults on vacation, etc. that just makes this one big party week? Is there more to it? Why do so many locals make the trek to resorts (many which are booked to capacity) during Easter Week as opposed to other weeks/weekends?

Let me also say that I love RD.....its people, music, culture. Thousands of Dominicans at beaches, etc. are ok by me as I'm ok with crowds of people having a good time. What should I expect in Punta Cana....I'm arriving Friday March 21 until March 24? I'm simply going to put "Easter Weekend" on my travel resume.

I appreciate any insight you can provide? Thanks!
I see that your post has gone unanswered.
Just what is it you would like to know?
Why the locals all flock to the beach, more than other weekends?
Because they have 3 or 4 or more days off, plus it's a tradition.
I expect that Punta Cana would be relatively unaffected as compared to places like Sosua, Cabarete, Punta Rusia, Boca Chica, etc.

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
The best week...

... to see lots of dominicans like us in vacations, travelling, enjoying time with their families, partying I presume?. For me it's interesting, I will be curious (and also very lucky!) to see that live in 2 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes and 16 seconds...

FEW QUESTIONS:
Is there any special concert of activities on malecon during the week, parades, are the children have school off too ? What about the traditionnal Friday by the malecon if it's Friday Saint..? And do you have (amigos dominicans) some traditions for the Easter day, any special meal..?

Thank you in advance !

Holacanada from Quebec city

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
... to see lots of dominicans like us in vacations, travelling, enjoying time with their families, partying I presume?. For me it's interesting, I will be curious (and also very lucky!) to see that live in 2 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes and 16 seconds...

FEW QUESTIONS:
Is there any special concert of activities on malecon during the week, parades, are the children have school off too ? What about the traditionnal Friday by the malecon if it's Friday Saint..? And do you have (amigos dominicans) some traditions for the Easter day, any special meal..?

Thank you in advance !

Holacanada from Quebec city
The kids have the whole week off.
As for the other questions, I don't know the answers.

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
www.brothersandsistersonline.com
Semana Santa

To narrow down my questions:

What should I expect in Punta Cana during Semana Santa?

Is that (booked to capacity) mostly with tourists during Easter week/weekend?

Do Dominicans from cities like the capitol, Puerto Plata, Santiago not go to Punta Cana because of the distance?

Has anyone specifically been to Punta Cana during Semana Santa who can provide info on the beach/resort scene relative to Dominicans?

Thanks!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To narrow down my questions:

What should I expect in Punta Cana during Semana Santa?

Is that (booked to capacity) mostly with tourists during Easter week/weekend?

Do Dominicans from cities like the capitol, Puerto Plata, Santiago not go to Punta Cana because of the distance?

Has anyone specifically been to Punta Cana during Semana Santa who can provide info on the beach/resort scene relative to Dominicans?

Thanks!
I would just be guessing, but I expect that there would be more Dominicans in the hotels, than usual, but that they are not likely to get invaded like other coastal areas, as Punta Cana is so darn far from everything.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know....however.....

I would just be guessing, but I expect that there would be more Dominicans in the hotels, than usual, but that they are not likely to get invaded like other coastal areas, as Punta Cana is so darn far from everything.

Traffic through Juan Dolio heading that way is horrendous Easter Weekend!:ermm: