Yet Another Residency Question...

luxaeterna

Sep 7, 2007
I've been doing a bit of research about getting residency status in the Dominican Republic, and my question is - do I NEED to have a connection to the country in order to be granted residency? If so, what kind of connections are needed/accepted? My significant other and I have been talking for a while now about my eventual big move to settle in the DR (not for at least a year and a half). If I was applying for residency before being married, and therefore applying as a foreigner with no ties to the country besides a fiance, would I be granted residency? Or would I have a much easier time getting it when married to a citizen?

I've also read that a non-resident cannot legally work in the Dominican Republic. When going through the three stages of the residency process - Resident Visa/Provincial Residency/Permanent Residency; would I be considered a resident ONLY when I am given Permanent Residency? Or is a person with a Resident Visa or Provincial Residency considered a resident and legally allowed to work?

Thank you in advance for any help provided :)