DL will stop flying JFK-SDQ/JFK-STI

777-200

Jan 25, 2004
Delta will stop flying from JFK to SDQ and STI in September.

Here is a paste of another forum

Update # 3 - I got rid fo frequency reductions since i think the "cuts" list will be long enough as iti is!

Cities Eliminatied:
ISP
ACY
BLI
FAR
MRY
YQB
MEI (probably will remian as EAS for the time being)

Total 6 (so far, not including MEI)

Routes Eliminated:
ATL-EDI
ATL-ISP
ATL-ACY
ATL-GRB
ATL-TOL
ATL-OAK
ATL-FSD
ATL-SCE
BDL-CMH
CMH-RSW
CMH-FLL
MCO-LIT
MCO-CAE
MCO-CHS
MCO-GSO
MCO-LAS
MCO-FLL
MCO-MIA
LAX-IAD
SLC-BNA
SLC-ESP
SLC-MRY
CVG-BGR
CVG-BTV
CVG-COS
CVG-JAN
BOS-MSY
BOS-SDF
BOS-LAS
BOS-YQB
FLL-LAS
FLL-RDU
BTR-DCA
LGA-BDA
JFK-YQB
JFK-FDF
JFK-SDQ
JFK-STI
JFK-PTP

Total 40 and counting

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
wow, what a shocker. I thought delta was doing great sti-jfk. Planes are always full.
AZB

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Dalta to DR

Will they still be flying into DR at all? I did a quick serach and it looks like they will be flying everything from Newark. Do i understand this correctly?

Jan 5, 2006
Newark? They don't even fly from there to DR now, and don't really have a major presence in EWR, so I doubt it. :(

This looks like another loss for travelers in the NY area and a win for AA. Sucks!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There is always Jetblue out of JFK, offering routes to SDQ, POP and STI. To me, they are far superior, having flown with them as well as Delta out of JFK.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
This is VERY bad news

Guys.... this is gonna be bad for all of us....

Stewart... your search presented the codeshare that Delta has with Continental Airlines, ie, you can buy trhu Delta, but your flight will be in a Continental operated aircraft.

The fuel prices, the busted (almost) merger talks with Northwest is taking Delta to the limit..... Latino2002 I'm personally worried buddy, i saw that DL is buying back 30,000 jobs..... please tell us your safe man.......

This is the 3rd Year for Delta in STI (May 05) and this is indeed very bad news....... Jetblue, AA and Continental are gonna have a field day with the prices now....

Almost forgot... this is news comes from a great airline related site (the best in my view) although is not official, its pretty much right....
Damn...
regards

STIOP

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
This is terrible, AA will definitely raise prices, less competition for JFK-STI routes and rising fuel costs, is going to hit us in the wallet. Right now I believe fares are already averaging about $460 to $540, I can see this rising to $500 to $600 during most times of the year.

Dominican_Titan

May 14, 2004
www.dr1.com
hopefully one of the start up airlines we seem to hear much about will capitalize on this and level the prices for us cause if not, its going to be a cooold year in hell for our pockets.

never really thought ill say this but if thats the case we might need for Air Dominicana, Sol Dominicana, PAWAD, ETC..to come and save our butts from AA's Prices on these routes.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
POP - atl will also be closed. Only sdq-atl will remain.
AZB

Last edited:

tulbet

Mar 17, 2008
How Accurate Is This Information? I Have Flight Booked With Delta In 12-2008 And Delta Indicates That Flight Still Exists.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Haven't Heard POP News

Doubtful the ATL/POP flts. will be closed. They've been running in the high 80s to low 90 percentile load factors, at a good yield, (the king) since January/Feb/Mar. The STI/SDQ/JFK move is part of their 5% schedule reduction, offering early outs for 30,000 employees, fuel prices and repositioning under austerity measures recently approved by their board (again). Every airline counts pennies and if they don't add up, they search for the nickels. Airlines are such a low margin business, they ebb and flow with markets beyond their control. If anyone has a crystal ball in today's markets, plz share your wisdom and tell us what your stock picks are for tomorrow. I'm all ears.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Doubtful the ATL/POP flts. will be closed. They've been running in the high 80s to low 90 percentile load factors, at a good yield, (the king) since January/Feb/Mar. The STI/SDQ/JFK move is part of their 5% schedule reduction, offering early outs for 30,000 employees, fuel prices and repositioning under austerity measures recently approved by their board (again). Every airline counts pennies and if they don't add up, they search for the nickels. Airlines are such a low margin business, they ebb and flow with markets beyond their control. If anyone has a crystal ball in today's markets, plz share your wisdom and tell us what your stock picks are for tomorrow. I'm all ears.

I VERY SHOCKED TO SEE THIS CURRENTLY WITH DELTA...THEY ONLY GOING TO KEEP JFK/PUJ, ATL/SDQ, ATL/PUJ, ATL/POP. Dont know why they ever going to cuts these routes by anyhow..I much better stick with Jetblue. Delta hasn't increased these routes from one to two daily flights that they supposed to do.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Really bad news, flying AA means having long delays almost all the time now.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is it me , or is AA worse than ever? Super long delays, bad communication.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Is it me , or is AA worse than ever? Super long delays, bad communication.

You are 100% correct. I have officially vowed not to travel with them again irrespective of price, it simply isnt worth the headache.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
wow, what a shocker. I thought delta was doing great sti-jfk. Planes are always full.
AZB

Hey AZB
Planes were full on hig season only and with a 90% load factor..we need to have over 97% load factor to break even on operations cost.
I'm very sad to see DL leaving STI...I did spent a great time there training my amigos. But with the oil prices...uffff ...bad..bad..bad...

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Guys.... this is gonna be bad for all of us....

Stewart... your search presented the codeshare that Delta has with Continental Airlines, ie, you can buy trhu Delta, but your flight will be in a Continental operated aircraft.

The fuel prices, the busted (almost) merger talks with Northwest is taking Delta to the limit..... Latino2002 I'm personally worried buddy, i saw that DL is buying back 30,000 jobs..... please tell us your safe man.......

This is the 3rd Year for Delta in STI (May 05) and this is indeed very bad news....... Jetblue, AA and Continental are gonna have a field day with the prices now....

Almost forgot... this is news comes from a great airline related site (the best in my view) although is not official, its pretty much right....
Damn...
regards

STIOP

STIOP...can Cibao airport do algo to make DL to stay in STI ???

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
STIOP...can Cibao airport do algo to make DL to stay in STI ???

Hey Latino2002.....

I believe they can, if they can try and renegotiate contracts that are currently active and keeping in mind the situation that Delta is going truth maybe they can work something out on landing fees, terminal fees and such.......

I'm astounded at the incredible margin TO BREAK EVEN!!! its amazing... 97%????? Dios Mio!!

I hope things get better for Delta, their service in STI has gotten many fans and it would be a shame that it goes away..... I hope for the best...

Slds

STIOP