gettin' hitched in the DR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
Hi all. My boyfriend and I will be in the DR at the end of May and we've decided to take the plunge. What are the legalities involved, what documents do we need, etc.? Also, does anyone know of a photographer that we can hire to take a few pictures....we just want a few to mark the occasion....hopefully for under $150 USD or so. Also, we would like to get married on the beach or some nice place like that and we would like the justice of the peace to be able to meet us at our desired location. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Can anyone recommend a specific spot that is especially beautiful? We will be staying on the north coast, either in Sosua or Cabarete.

Thanks!
Rebecca

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi all. My boyfriend and I will be in the DR at the end of May and we've decided to take the plunge. What are the legalities involved, what documents do we need, etc.? Also, does anyone know of a photographer that we can hire to take a few pictures....we just want a few to mark the occasion....hopefully for under $150 USD or so. Also, we would like to get married on the beach or some nice place like that and we would like the justice of the peace to be able to meet us at our desired location. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Can anyone recommend a specific spot that is especially beautiful? We will be staying on the north coast, either in Sosua or Cabarete.

Thanks!
Rebecca
Hi Rebecca.
I remember you from the story you told at that hotel in the Samana peninsula that closed down while you were there.
I hope this next trip is a bit smoother.
As I remember it, you were traveling with your mother.
Did you meet a Dominican man who you are now marrying?

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
lol...

Hey, Rocky. Yeah, I hope this trip goes smoothly as well. It should go even better since I am taking espanol lessons.

No, I am not marrying a Dominican. I think it would be a little quick, don't you? LOL. We're both Americans.

See you all in May!

R

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No, I am not marrying a Dominican. I think it would be a little quick, don't you? LOL.
R
Way fast.
That's why I asked.
Thought you might need a reality check.

I know a couple who got married on the Sosua beach a few years ago and they said it was awesome.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
Way fast.
That's why I asked.
Thought you might need a reality check.

I know a couple who got married on the Sosua beach a few years ago and they said it was awesome.

Hey, give me some credit. I'm not impulsive in matters of the heart. I'm 40 years old for chrissakes! LOL. Just ribbin' ya Rocky. Also, sankies aren't my style, and I'm definitely not desperate for a husband, Dominican or otherwise. Thanks for the recommendation on Sosua beach...that's actually where I was thinking of doing it, so good to know someone else had a good experience. Also, to others, thanks for the links. So, anyone know any photographers I can hire for an hour or so? Thanks! Rebecca

A

apostropheman

Not sure about this one anymore since they take the tourist card from you, almost as soon as you've paid for it, these days :D:bunny::bunny:
We just had some people who were renting an apartment from us get married here last month and we got the latest update on how to do it from the Sosua City Hall. Sorry, but it will be more like $300 to $450 US.

1) Passport - make a copy of the picture page.
2) Birth Certificate - This must be translated into Spanish and Notarized by the Dominican consulate in the country of origin. In this case probably the one in New York City.
You should make a photo copy of the original birth certificate translations. They will keep the copy and the original notarized translations.
3) Tourist card that each of you gets at the airport when you arrive.
4) A document from each of the people being married that certifies they are single. This is something they should contact the Dominican Embassy about as to the exact wording. Probably, you can have a US Notary draw something up in English and the Consulate will translate and notarize it. (In my opinion, this is a stupid requirement, but it is a real requirement). I believe they will keep the original and the notarized translation, so make a copies for yourselves.
5) Two witnesses that are the maid of honor(Padrina) and the best man (Padrino) . They get to sign the registry for the marriage, which is a photo opportunity.

Other details:

1) Contact the Justice of the Peace's office in Sosua, or where you may be staying, at least one week ahead of the wedding to reserve the time for the Justice to perform the ceremony.
2) Present all of the documents at least 3 days before marriage.
3) The price for the Justice of the Peace services is RD$ 10,000 pesos if the ceremony is at the office ($300 US) or RD$ 15,000 ($450 US) if it is performed elsewhere.
4) A marriage performed here is legal in the US as well.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Matrimonio

1) Contact the Justice of the Peace's office...
3) The price for the Justice of the Peace services is RD$ 10,000 pesos if the ceremony is at the office ($300 US) or RD$ 15,000 ($450 US) if it is performed elsewhere.

Hmm, at 'Juzgado de Paz'?
I thought it's done by an 'oficial del estado de civil' (Oficial?a del Estado Civil).

m'frog

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Photographer

Also, does anyone know of a photographer that we can hire to take a few pictures....

Felix Corona/Corona Photography. His office/studio is located opposite the entrance to Charamicos right next to Caribe Tours ticket office. I do not have his phone number so maybe someone living in Sosua knows it or can look it up for you.

He took portraits for us of our maids daughter a number of years ago and we were very happy with them.

Good luck.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Felix Corona - Tel: (809) 222-5340 & (829)404-4040
Office: (809) 571-1274 Office Hours: Monday thru Saturday 8:00AM to 6:00PM
Email:felixcorona@codetel.net.do

Lots of info on his website.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Felix Corona - Tel: (809) 222-5340 & (829)404-4040
Office: (809) 571-1274 Office Hours: Monday thru Saturday 8:00AM to 6:00PM
Email:felixcorona@codetel.net.do

Lots of info on his website.
Link to his website, please?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Link to his website, please?
I don't know his website, but I have known him personally for 10 years and he's an intelligent competent person.
What would remain to be seen is if he can and wants to do the job, as you need it done.
If you need translation help to that means, you need only contact me when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.