Cell Phone texting

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Hi

will a cell phone from Canada with service form our local supplier be able to text back to Canada while in the DR.

From Canada I can text numbers with 809 but can not get through to 829. Should I just sign up for a new phone when I get there

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
US's T Mobile worked just fine. Just make sure that you call your provider and ask to have your service "unlocked" for international service

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
It depends.. 829 from Claro wont receive ANY messages from outside the country. Every other phone numbers are fine. So even if you are in DR your msgs wont go throught to this particular phone number. (still talking about 829-Claro).
If you have a phone with a chip and you do go often enough, buy yourself a chip from there. Ask a friend to give provide his cedula and you are set. It is a lot cheaper as Canadian Company will gladly charge you up to 50cents per msg.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I have cell phone service with FIDO and I have no problem sending and receiving text messages to and from DR. But it is more economical to have a DR cell phone and buy the phone cards or get a memory chip for your phone.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
when i was in the DR with some friends last year, friends with rogers or fido had no problems sending and receiving text msgs. i was with telus and my phone didnt work at all :( then when i was in SD last month, i hooked up an unlocked phone with claro and i could send text msgs to canada and the US but couldnt receive them. like some people said above...its probably best to bring an unlocked phone to the DR and buy a SIM there with orange.

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
US's T Mobile worked just fine. Just make sure that you call your provider and ask to have your service "unlocked" for international service

Thats what OP is gonna have to do, cause I'm in NY and I get tons of text messages from 809 and 829 numbers.

Amy S

Dec 8, 2006
texting experience

My cell provider is Verizon (in the US) and I haven't had any problems sending/receiving text messages from people in the DR who have either 809 or 829 numbers. [The two people I text most often with both use Orange.] I was also able to text (send and receive) while in the DR (Punta Cana) without problems. The only difference when I was in the DR was that the name of the sender didn't show up from my Address Book like it does when I'm in the US.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
It depends.. 829 from Claro wont receive ANY messages from outside the country. Every other phone numbers are fine. So even if you are in DR your msgs wont go throught to this particular phone number. (still talking about 829-Claro).
If you have a phone with a chip and you do go often enough, buy yourself a chip from there. Ask a friend to give provide his cedula and you are set. It is a lot cheaper as Canadian Company will gladly charge you up to 50cents per msg.
Why do you need a friend with a cedula?

Franki

Apr 14, 2008
Area Code 829 - Text message

I have a friend in Punta Cana who can send text messages to my cell in Canada ( Rogers) but I cannot respond to them nor can I send a new text to them. I recieve an errorr message indicating that I am trying to text a land line. And it is a cell phone. Also I can talk to them when placing a call to them. Any ideas? I have tried every combination of 1-829... +1-829...+0111-829 etc.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
I have a friend in Punta Cana who can send text messages to my cell in Canada ( Rogers) but I cannot respond to them nor can I send a new text to them. I recieve an errorr message indicating that I am trying to text a land line. And it is a cell phone. Also I can talk to them when placing a call to them. Any ideas? I have tried every combination of 1-829... +1-829...+0111-829 etc.

As I say on my first post, people who have 829 numbers with Claro will be able to send msg anywhere but wont receive any from outside the country.

Wuarhat :

It's more and more like this, they wont sell phone number to outsiders. Well that's what the lady told me when I when to fix up my phone. (no sim card, have to decode it)

sascha

Oct 4, 2007

im not sure exactly why this is but when i was hooking up my unlocked GSM phone in february with claro, the first place i went said they needed my passport to get everything set up. i didnt have it with me at the time so when i got it, i went to another claro shop and they asked a local friend i was with for his cedula to hook up the phone :ermm:.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
At the end of December I bought a Claro phone for RD$745 (no questions asked) with a SIM that works in my unlocked Nokia. It can send me texts, but does not receive my texts. At the end of March I tried to buy a SIM for a similar phone that I brought for a friend. In the same store, they wanted RD$350 and a bunch of contact information for her including cedula number. I didn?t have the information so we ended up getting the SIM somewhere else (Orange), under the same terms. That worked out to her advantage because now she can receive texts. I think it might be cheaper also.

Last edited: